C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FIRST TPI Intake EGR Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 11:09 AM
collinTHEbrewer
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FIRST TPI Intake EGR Delete?

I'm almost done buttoning up the FIRST TPI intake install on my '90 L98, and initially I had assumed I would be deleting the EGR setup. As I've read more about it, I'm second guessing this approach and potential consequences.

The car is mostly stock, including the cam, with some small upgrades to 1.6 rockers and a MagnaFlow catback exhaust. It's just a weekend car, so it needs to be reliable. I'm not really worried about fuel economy either.

My understanding is that the EGR can be deleted without changing the ECU by faking out the EGR feedback with a diode, but there are some concerns with lean conditions while "cruising".

I've read through several threads on the forum, but I thought I would ask one more time and specifically about the '90.
  1. Can it be deleted?
  2. Should it be deleted? (I'm in Texas, so no emissions test)
  3. If I delete, what is the best method? Is an ECU mod required/recommended?
As always, thanks in advance for the read and knowledge sharing!
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 01:56 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

First question, do you have the EGR option with the First intake?

To do it correctly you should really have a chip tuned to eliminate the EGR, very easy to do. If you fake out the EGR operation with a diode the car will probably operate fine but the EGR operation does add some additional amount of timing to try and compensate for the slower fuel burn with the exhaust gasses being introduced into the combustion chamber. If you do not add the exhaust the added timing may not be needed and could cause knock retard in certain conditions.
yakmastermax (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 05:15 PM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 410 Likes on 279 Posts

1990 your ECU is in the engine bay. Easy access. I would swap chips with a new tune that disables the EGR.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:25 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bjankuski
First question, do you have the EGR option with the First intake?

To do it correctly you should really have a chip tuned to eliminate the EGR, very easy to do. If you fake out the EGR operation with a diode the car will probably operate fine but the EGR operation does add some additional amount of timing to try and compensate for the slower fuel burn with the exhaust gasses being introduced into the combustion chamber. If you do not add the exhaust the added timing may not be needed and could cause knock retard in certain conditions.
No EGR provision for the FFI intake. I agree tuning is recommended -- not just for the EGR delete but likely for the changes in air/fuel. I'd think the fueling curve needs to be more front-loaded.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:10 AM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 301 Likes on 221 Posts

I deleted my EGR when I built the engine for performance. Had the ECM retuned and no problems whatsoever
yakmastermax (03-13-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:08 PM
collinTHEbrewer
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone. I spoke with Ken at FIRST, and they offer tuning services with their intake purchases at a pretty low cost. I'll get the EGR deleted along with the necessary tuning updates.
yakmastermax (03-21-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To FIRST TPI Intake EGR Delete?

Quick Reply: FIRST TPI Intake EGR Delete?