C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 LT1 Trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 05:17 PM
Pingbi
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 LT1 Trans

My trans seems fine at higher speeds and when it's cold, but after a while it does this thing where it can't figure out what gear it wants to be in below around 40, it seems to be shifting up and down and up and so on until I finally just speed up to get it to stop, I keep getting mixed answers as far as valves, torque converter, and others.
Anyone else had this problem? If so how should I go about fixing it?
Old 03-10-2024, 09:52 PM
AmoriFati
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

First thing. Mileage?
Second. Have you checked the fluid level and color? Check Warmed up, level ground and take stick out for a few minutes so fluid in tube doesnt give false reading while it is running, and show it higher than it actually is.
3rd. Have you ever changed the fluid? Filter?
Old 03-10-2024, 10:28 PM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

40 mph is where it wants to lock up the converter so you are going in and out of torque convertor lock. My 93 does the same thing.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:28 AM
Bill Chase
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts

If you commonly cruise at the rpm the converter is going in and out of lockup, a tune raising or lowering tcc lockup would stop it, this assumes the transmission is in good condition, no governor wear, no bad wiring, good torque converter etc.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:57 PM
Pingbi
Cruising

After adjusting my TV cable correctly this time the first to second shift is no longer a shotgun blast to my spine, but the problem that I actually care about a lot more, which is the dancing between third and 4th persists and maybe it's my imagination but it might be worse. I saw that it could be tuned, but could this just be sign of a bad TCC solenoid? From everything that I've seen this looks very easy to replace and I would rather do it right then try to Mickey mouse around it
Old 04-04-2024, 08:59 PM
Pingbi
Cruising

Originally Posted by AmoriFati
First thing. Mileage?
Second. Have you checked the fluid level and color? Check Warmed up, level ground and take stick out for a few minutes so fluid in tube doesnt give false reading while it is running, and show it higher than it actually is.
3rd. Have you ever changed the fluid? Filter?
80,000 mi, but I very recently bought the car so I don't know if anything has ever been changed. Transmission fluid level looks good and the fluid looks fine, no sparklies or visible contaminants
Old 04-04-2024, 09:11 PM
AmoriFati
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Cant hurt to change it if you feel it is bad. And the jumping between 3rd and 4th may be more imagination.
With 2.59 or 3.08 gears, you could leave it in D till you get on the highway. 2.59 gears may be giving you the impression it is hunting.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 LT1 Trans

Quick Reply: 92 LT1 Trans