C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

low coolant sensor coming on 1989

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 02:22 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default low coolant sensor coming on 1989

So my low coolant sensor comes on for a minute when I start my car then goes out, and sometimes comes on again and goes back out while Im driving. Unfortunately my gauge cluster isnt providing anything at the moment. So Im cautious since I havent owned the car for long.

I tried to use my dmm on temp range but I guess I want getting good enough contact to the radiiator. But the fan came on. So I know thats working.

I was planning to watch the radiator temp to detect the thermostat opening but what I saw was a gradual iuncrease of temp right after starting the car, and coolant circulating inside the radiator with the cap off. So Im guessing theres no thermostat in the car?

Whats the easiest way to monitor the engine temp for overheating without any gauges operating?

Any help with these specific questions would really be apprteciated. Thanks everyone
Old 02-22-2024, 05:10 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

you are flying blind i see.

you can get a computer, an aldl cord, using tunerpro rt, the proper adx file, and monitor it that way. id probably verify the temp using a heat gun. don't let it get above 240f!

you could also attached a digital volt meter to the coolant temp sensor and monitor the voltage! tough! doing the work of the ecm. would need to find a graph of temp vs voltage.

i suppose you could also attached a new sensor into the coolant temp sensor port hole below the tb, and run a new line to a mechanical gauge inside the car.

personally, id just capitulate, and get the dash fixed. send it to batee.com
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 06:15 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Im thinking I probably will I already talked to Brian on the phone about it. Dont really like that it only goes to 85 or 90 mph. Do you know on 89 would I lose the lockup while its out? And do you think what Im seeing indicates that theres no thermostat in it? My 84 did well with a 180, Im thinking thats what this one will get. Thanks for the suggestions too gives me something to think on.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:39 PM
2011KLR
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You weren't specific on the gauges but have you looked at it with polarized sunglasses on?
Old 02-22-2024, 07:23 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

not yet but I cant see anything even though its bright. I checked the photocell response with a flashlight and my finger over it and theres no response.Im going to get some film and test it but not real hopeful. Brian mentioned some cycle it goes through at power up no sign of that either. Right now Im curious about the thermostat issue I know some people like to take them out and its not a good idea Im not getting real good fuel economy. Lots wrong with this car unfortunately. Just no choice right now its all I have to drive right now.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:15 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Fixed the low coolant light coming on. I read about the packing procedure and gave it a try, Started the car and ran it with tnhe radiator cap off, watched the level drop 2 or 3 times and filled it each time. Once the fans came on it started running out so I put the cap on and shut if off. No more warning light guess it worked, and this might help someone else.

Get notified of new replies

To low coolant sensor coming on 1989

Quick Reply: low coolant sensor coming on 1989