C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What can I remove from the engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 10:28 PM
Dragon7u
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What can I remove from the engine bay?

I have a 1986 corvette that I am doing full suspension rebuild, an engine swap and zf6 manual trans swap on. I have a new engine I built that should have around 430 crank hp going in fitted with a used TPIS miniram I acquired. I am also doing a ac delete and the smog pump was already removed when I bought it. On to my main question, what can I remove? How much of these vacuum run accessories and tank things are actually necessary? There is a second rad for just the AC system as far as I can tell, can that be removed without causing mounting issues with the coolant radiator? Can I just buy plugs for the trans cooler section of the radiator and reuse it?
Any and all advice is appreciated i'm up to my ears in all of this. Thank you
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:56 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 404 Posts

Yes you can pull the extra radiator(Condenser), and plug off the to be unused cooler ports.
The vacuum bottle leave it in for now and after getting all your modifications done all everything is working. Unplug the bottle and plug and do some testing and see if you have any problems.

Last edited by s carter; 02-05-2024 at 11:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by s carter:
BET VETTE (02-08-2024), Vette 460 (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 06:29 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 474 Likes on 361 Posts

I basically did the same thing to mine. Only difference is I wend with a 4L80e instead of a ZF6. I pulled everything. All the AC components including the condenser and the evaporator. I also cut down the evaporator housing and filled the hole in with fiberglass to give me a spot to mount relays. For a while I used the factory radiator but soon swapped it out for a Griffin Racing without trans cooling and used a separate trans cooler. I pulled every single vacuum line and reservoir out of the car. I plumbed my own vacuum system with PCV the way I wanted it. This drastically simplified everything. I also pulled the charcoal system and all of those lines. If you still have to have the car pass emissions testing then that part will be a challenge.

Best thing I can tell you is to pull it all and make it the way you want.
The following users liked this post:
Vette 460 (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:01 AM
Vette 460
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm doing the same thing as Dragon7 so I'm glad to follow this thread I've removed all AC, Cruise control, and I'm looking at the rest of the vacuum stuff that I'd like to remove. Mine is a 1988 automatic.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:02 AM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

I am working on my 1985. I yanked the vacuum reservoir bulb as well as the cylindrical canister up front. Smog and EGR system delete also.

Old 02-10-2024, 04:13 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

One thing I did over 20 years ago after removing A/C was to modify the fan housing.
On cars models with A/C as option there were often a smaller fan housing without the evaporator, and a bigger with, but the C4 Corvette were never offered without A/C.

It was a bit of work to cut the fan housing apart, create a "mold" and fiberglass a new shape.
I also mixed in black carbon powder from a laser printer in the outer layers of the resin. It did not mix easily but I like the result.
I have very good access to spark plugs and I would do it again,

Finished:

Before:

Evaporator:

As you see the heater core is on the inside:

"Mold" to create the shape:

Fiberglass:

Fiberglass with laser toner powder:

The following 2 users liked this post by JoBy:
weeles (02-10-2024), yakmastermax (02-10-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To What can I remove from the engine bay?

Quick Reply: What can I remove from the engine bay?