C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Corvette Z51 to FiTech EFI

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 11:34 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 1984 Corvette Z51 to FiTech EFI

Hi All!
I just thought this would be a great place to document my Crossfire to FiTech journey and hopefully contribute to the Community! I guess for starters I picked up an 84 Corvette in running but barely condition. Body is in great shape and reasonable kilometers on the car, just a hair over 174000, it is an Auto. Going in I knew this is going to be a project and that was the point of purchasing this car. I am by no means a Mechanic! As a kid and growing up I always helped my Dad work on his car and help out and just watched and learned what I could. Ever since I was a kid I've always wanted an early C4, just something about them I just really like. Fast forward to now I have had this car just over 6 months and have made considerable progress towards getting it to where I really want it. I have done a lot of work just fixing all the little things like rebuilding the passenger door latch (the first time was so frustrating, and now I can rip that door apart in a few minutes!), fixing the stuck drivers seatbelt that was recalled but somehow never fixed on my car, replacing all the speakers and head unit to include Wireless Android Auto and GPS, Spotify and so on plus installed a small shallow box subwoofer, Replaced the power Antenna to a standard rubber one, Back-up Camera, LED Headlight Conversion, Replacing the Drivers side light switch as it was getting stuck on at random and the light wouldnt go out after I shut the door and drained my battery, New Exhaust Gaskets, New Plugs, New Wires, New Ignition Control Module, Battery, New Fan Relay (mine was melted and missing a wire), New Thermostat and Housing, New Mufflers (yet to be installed), swapped over to the clear top, New used steering wheel, and I'm sure there are others I forgot to mention.

This car was by far from a clean canvas, The EGR Valve and Pollution Controls has been deleted and someone also put the passenger side valve cover on backwards (Filling up the oil is a challange to say the least) late 90s rear end swap, and god knows what else was done prior but in all sometimes it runs perfect and then next start it will run like garbage almost at random, stall at stops, not start after it's warm. So after hours of research and considering all options (LT/LS Swap) I decided to try the FiTech EFI Go Street 400HP system. For intake I decided to grab a Edelbrock Victor Jr. Single Plane as from mutiple sources state its a great intake for low clearance setups as well as very efficient with the EFI Throttle Body systems. The reason I choose this route as it seams the source of my problems is in the tune either mechanical or software but ether way its also a computer from the early 80s running it. I tried calling around local shops and most places had very little interest working on it and the one shop that could is so booked up getting it in is a couple month wait list, My first thought was LT1 swap as you can get one out of a 96 Impala SS cheap enough and they mounted that engine into later model C4's so I knew it wouldnt be a terrible swap to do. After researching that swap it seemed like well if you wanted to go that route its almost cheaper to just buy a later C4 or since you are doing the work anyway might as well go all out and LS Swap it. Just to cover all bases I decided to research a carb swap and thats when I discovered the FiTech System and started to really think about it and it seemed to check all the boxes I was hoping to tick off.

Anyways I guess this is a good spot to end of the Introduction I'll leave with a few pictures of what I have accompished so far and will be posting more about the swap in the coming weeks! I Look forward to all your comments and suggestions!

Last edited by Ravendagrey; 01-14-2024 at 12:05 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Ravendagrey:
FostersPerformance (01-14-2024), RPO Joe (01-27-2024), SirReal63 (01-14-2024), weeles (01-15-2024), yakmastermax (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 11:38 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,451 Posts

like it! Its cery far from stock so a great idea to just keep going and make it work for you.

those iroc rims?
The following users liked this post:
Ravendagrey (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 03:35 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,009 Likes on 691 Posts

Sad that the CFI system came off, but at least you didn't go carb. Interested how this works out for you. GL.
The following 2 users liked this post by Buccaneer:
iceman2003 (02-16-2024), Ravendagrey (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 04:42 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Good luck with the fitech. While I do like the system as a whole, a couple of people I know with them have nothing but problems. The ECUs are very sensitive it seems. Or maybe poorly constructed. I would've went with the holley setup as it is more widely supported... but anyway, it looks like a fun project!
The following 2 users liked this post by 84 4+3:
Doo142 (01-16-2024), Ravendagrey (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:11 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

C4s are definitely what the S10s are to the Chevy Truck legacy. There are a ton of them out there and a lot of them not running or well taken of. Kudos to you for abandoning the atiquated systems that attempted to run that heap.

I am thinking about carb swapping my LS swapped '84 just to give Buccaneer a heart attack... haha..
The following 4 users liked this post by Krusty84:
finn_the_flying_fox (03-08-2024), iceman2003 (02-16-2024), Mike Holmen (02-13-2024), Ravendagrey (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 10:37 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
those iroc rims?
Yes they are
Old 01-15-2024, 09:21 AM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Very cool!
The work you have done so far to the car sounds excellent.

I think the Fitech is a very interesting option. I believe it is around $700-$800 vs the Holley options that are $2000-$2500?

That price difference is a set of solid heads and a cam!

Ravendagrey (01-16-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 06:13 PM
mike1111
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravendagrey
Hi All!
I just thought this would be a great place to document my Crossfire to FiTech journey and hopefully contribute to the Community! I guess for starters I picked up an 84 Corvette in running but barely condition. Body is in great shape and reasonable kilometers on the car, just a hair over 174000, it is an Auto. Going in I knew this is going to be a project and that was the point of purchasing this car. I am by no means a Mechanic! As a kid and growing up I always helped my Dad work on his car and help out and just watched and learned what I could. Ever since I was a kid I've always wanted an early C4, just something about them I just really like. Fast forward to now I have had this car just over 6 months and have made considerable progress towards getting it to where I really want it. I have done a lot of work just fixing all the little things like rebuilding the passenger door latch (the first time was so frustrating, and now I can rip that door apart in a few minutes!), fixing the stuck drivers seatbelt that was recalled but somehow never fixed on my car, replacing all the speakers and head unit to include Wireless Android Auto and GPS, Spotify and so on plus installed a small shallow box subwoofer, Replaced the power Antenna to a standard rubber one, Back-up Camera, LED Headlight Conversion, Replacing the Drivers side light switch as it was getting stuck on at random and the light wouldnt go out after I shut the door and drained my battery, New Exhaust Gaskets, New Plugs, New Wires, New Ignition Control Module, Battery, New Fan Relay (mine was melted and missing a wire), New Thermostat and Housing, New Mufflers (yet to be installed), swapped over to the clear top, New used steering wheel, and I'm sure there are others I forgot to mention.

This car was by far from a clean canvas, The EGR Valve and Pollution Controls has been deleted and someone also put the passenger side valve cover on backwards (Filling up the oil is a challange to say the least) late 90s rear end swap, and god knows what else was done prior but in all sometimes it runs perfect and then next start it will run like garbage almost at random, stall at stops, not start after it's warm. So after hours of research and considering all options (LT/LS Swap) I decided to try the FiTech EFI Go Street 400HP system. For intake I decided to grab a Edelbrock Victor Jr. Single Plane as from mutiple sources state its a great intake for low clearance setups as well as very efficient with the EFI Throttle Body systems. The reason I choose this route as it seams the source of my problems is in the tune either mechanical or software but ether way its also a computer from the early 80s running it. I tried calling around local shops and most places had very little interest working on it and the one shop that could is so booked up getting it in is a couple month wait list, My first thought was LT1 swap as you can get one out of a 96 Impala SS cheap enough and they mounted that engine into later model C4's so I knew it wouldnt be a terrible swap to do. After researching that swap it seemed like well if you wanted to go that route its almost cheaper to just buy a later C4 or since you are doing the work anyway might as well go all out and LS Swap it. Just to cover all bases I decided to research a carb swap and thats when I discovered the FiTech System and started to really think about it and it seemed to check all the boxes I was hoping to tick off.

Anyways I guess this is a good spot to end of the Introduction I'll leave with a few pictures of what I have accompished so far and will be posting more about the swap in the coming weeks! I Look forward to all your comments and suggestions!

I understand the change in FI. I prefer the stock look.I never had a problem with the crossfire injection itself. if ya have stock catalytic converter and stock exhaust manifolds. that would be the next choke in the system.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:25 PM
Hit Man X
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not gonna lie, those Iroc wheels look pretty slick on there!
The following 2 users liked this post by Hit Man X:
Ravendagrey (01-16-2024), stiggity99 (02-25-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 09:52 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

Originally Posted by yakmastermax
Very cool!
The work you have done so far to the car sounds excellent.

I think the Fitech is a very interesting option. I believe it is around $700-$800 vs the Holley options that are $2000-$2500?

That price difference is a set of solid heads and a cam!
Originally Posted by mike1111
I understand the change in FI. I prefer the stock look.I never had a problem with the crossfire injection itself. if ya have stock catalytic converter and stock exhaust manifolds. that would be the next choke in the system.
Thats all in the plan eventually, right now my main focus is just getting it to the point it runs consistantly and correctly! Next project will be addressing brakes/wheel hubs and getting the mufflers put on as this is what I have right now:

I also seen this and really want to do that to mine as well so the stock ram air will work and look stock when popping the hood:

Last edited by Ravendagrey; 01-15-2024 at 09:57 PM. Reason: mistake
yakmastermax (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 07:00 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Krusty84
C4s are definitely what the S10s are to the Chevy Truck legacy. There are a ton of them out there and a lot of them not running or well taken of. Kudos to you for abandoning the atiquated systems that attempted to run that heap.

I am thinking about carb swapping my LS swapped '84 just to give Buccaneer a heart attack... haha..
I mean let's be honest. Unless you're running direct injection even the "most modern" port injection is still pretty antiquated technology. Heck... even DI isnt anything cutting edge. It's all pretty old **** and surprisingly little improvements have been made over the years. The electricals controlling it are the only real improvements that have been made.

Fitech is well... like I said earlier. They'd never get my money.
Doo142 (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 11:35 AM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Fitech is well... like I said earlier. They'd never get my money.
Thats OK, I got the system for a price I couldn't turn down and in my instance it should solve all my issues at a reasonable cost. The FiTech system I purchased was installed on a built SBC and turns out the engine made more than 400HP, so the system had less then 500km on it, I know for a fact my engine will not produce 400hp and never planned to go that high anyway. As I mentioned in my first post I am not by any means a Mechanic, and none of the local shops want to even touch my car. The FiTech is really easy to install on my car I only have a single o2 sensor which is the same with the FiTech, need to replace the fuel pump to one that hits 255lph, install a c5 fuel pressure regulator, get a carb bracket kit for my throttle and TV cable, install an air filter and run a few wires. I'm waiting on my Edelbrock Victor Jr. to arrive which will support 2 coolant sensors (1 for FiTech and 1 for my dash). So all in I'm about $1600 CAD, where as I could spend that in labour at a shop and still not have a running car (Not to mention time spent sourcing parts from a engine that was only installed for what, 2 years in a Corvette and 3 years in the Camaro) or spend well over that for just the Holley Sniper unit and still need the intake and accessories. I was also seeing that now the FiTech system has a new ECM available so if I have problems I can upgrade that as well. In the end that is what this thread is about, I havent seen too many people do the FiTech swap on a 84 Corvette and not a lot of infomation out there for this specfic car, so I figured I would share my experience with this community, for better or worse!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ravendagrey:
84 4+3 (01-16-2024), TrailerPark Hero (02-11-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 12:39 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ravendagrey
Thats OK, I got the system for a price I couldn't turn down and in my instance it should solve all my issues at a reasonable cost. The FiTech system I purchased was installed on a built SBC and turns out the engine made more than 400HP, so the system had less then 500km on it, I know for a fact my engine will not produce 400hp and never planned to go that high anyway. As I mentioned in my first post I am not by any means a Mechanic, and none of the local shops want to even touch my car. The FiTech is really easy to install on my car I only have a single o2 sensor which is the same with the FiTech, need to replace the fuel pump to one that hits 255lph, install a c5 fuel pressure regulator, get a carb bracket kit for my throttle and TV cable, install an air filter and run a few wires. I'm waiting on my Edelbrock Victor Jr. to arrive which will support 2 coolant sensors (1 for FiTech and 1 for my dash). So all in I'm about $1600 CAD, where as I could spend that in labour at a shop and still not have a running car (Not to mention time spent sourcing parts from a engine that was only installed for what, 2 years in a Corvette and 3 years in the Camaro) or spend well over that for just the Holley Sniper unit and still need the intake and accessories. I was also seeing that now the FiTech system has a new ECM available so if I have problems I can upgrade that as well. In the end that is what this thread is about, I havent seen too many people do the FiTech swap on a 84 Corvette and not a lot of infomation out there for this specfic car, so I figured I would share my experience with this community, for better or worse!
I'm not bad mouthing the setup and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Its a great system. The ECU is just a weak point. When it works it works excellent and I'm not arguing that at all. It's also fun to see people actually "hot rodding" vehicles still. If I had a wrecked out fuel system from the start you can bet you money there'd be a 650 double pumper under the hood of my car right now... or a later EFI conversion depending on the money I had at the time. I've got no attachment to progress and making it work right and I'm looking forward to following along.

And yes for that price, I would stick with the fitech unit too. Keep up the work and I by no means meant any offense. I am sorry.
Ravendagrey (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 02:18 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
I'm not bad mouthing the setup and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Its a great system. The ECU is just a weak point. When it works it works excellent and I'm not arguing that at all. It's also fun to see people actually "hot rodding" vehicles still. If I had a wrecked out fuel system from the start you can bet you money there'd be a 650 double pumper under the hood of my car right now... or a later EFI conversion depending on the money I had at the time. I've got no attachment to progress and making it work right and I'm looking forward to following along.

And yes for that price, I would stick with the fitech unit too. Keep up the work and I by no means meant any offense. I am sorry.
No offense taken at all, you just inspired me to explain why I'm going this route, for that I thank you as it contributed to the thread! This is one of my dream cars and to be honest, I don't think I will ever stop working on this car for as long as I own it and I'm just glad I could still afford one! I also think its really cool to be able to add some of the more modern features to it as well as make it my own. That is something that is lost on the newer cars, this way I can take all the modern stuff I want and leave the rest.

I guess at the end of this journey we will all find out for ourselves if it was worth it, I am just glad I have the ability to be the one that shares the journey with all of you!

Cheers!

Last edited by Ravendagrey; 01-16-2024 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2024, 08:07 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

First order of parts came in today, some fuel hose, and the throttle cable bracket with TV cable kickdown. Intake should be here by the end of next week as for other parts I'll need should be coming in the next few days and I'm sure I'll be ordering stuff as I go. So is the nature of these things. Please chime in if you have alternative solutions incase I discover what I bought isnt going to work. Tomorrow I'll be notching out the kickdown bracket for the TV Cable.

Last edited by Ravendagrey; 01-18-2024 at 08:16 PM. Reason: warped picture
Old 01-19-2024, 11:06 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,009 Likes on 691 Posts

Not a fan of the Holley Sniper because of ECU issues as well. However, they did come out with the Sniper II recently which has supposed to of changed a lot of things, but I can not verify that. At least with the airbox, it looks stock. GL and tell us how it goes.
Ravendagrey (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:24 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Not a fan of the Holley Sniper because of ECU issues as well. However, they did come out with the Sniper II recently which has supposed to of changed a lot of things, but I can not verify that. At least with the airbox, it looks stock. GL and tell us how it goes.
Ya there doesn't seem to be a "Perfect solution" yet, each unit seems to still have its pro's and con's, I would like to get one of those TPI units from Edelbrock they look interesting. It's great to see the innovation from the bigs guys like Holley and Edelbrock and especially the little guys as well like FiTech, its awesome that there seems to be a system suited for almost everyone at any budget!

Last edited by Ravendagrey; 01-19-2024 at 06:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Corvette Z51 to FiTech EFI

Old 01-19-2024, 06:31 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

I got the TV Kickdown Bracket notched and fitted and the next wave of parts have arrived today!

Valve Cover Gaskets - Since I'm going to be down there anyways.
340LPH in tank fuel pump with accessories
Fuel Line Clamps
Intake Gaskets

More Parts are expected Sunday and Tuesday!
Rodderz (01-19-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 04:21 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

C5 Corvette Fuel Pressure regulator, although this one seems better than some of the cheap ones I've seen, I may just send it back and buy a Wix one instead.

EDIT: You do not need this for the FiTech Go Street 400, It has its own built in regulator when running a return line system to the throttle body which the FiTech supports, This could come in handy if installing it in the factory filter location and running returnless from that point on.

Last edited by Ravendagrey; 04-30-2024 at 03:15 AM. Reason: For future readers looking up this swap.
Old 01-21-2024, 12:03 PM
Ravendagrey
Advanced

Not exactly required to do this swap but in my case I'm just going to replace what I have in the car now.

Just a simple fan relay, The one I purchased before was a much more complex circuit with air conditioning triggers and etc. Since the FiTech is going to be connected to the AC and controlling the fan, I'm pretty sure I can eliminate a coolant sensor at the same time. Instead of having 3 (2 (FiTech, Dash) in the intake and 1 in the block (Fan)), I should be able to eliminate the fan coolant sensor completely and wire the FiTech as the "switch" in the diagram.

Last edited by Ravendagrey; 01-21-2024 at 12:24 PM. Reason: mistake

Quick Reply: 1984 Corvette Z51 to FiTech EFI