C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

baffled fuel tank options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 07:25 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,451 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ring-hard.html
Old 01-21-2024, 02:24 AM
s346k
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

eh yeah. a lot to consider. i was really hoping to use the factory tank. i thought about it today (do i really want to do this again?) while i was removing the fuel tank, it was 28* inside with both small heaters running. the ambient temp outside was 6.

its not a race car. 99% won't see any road course/autocross action. but it will see a lot of straight line. and will definitely have enough power to be a concern. i dont want a fuel cell because of capacity and convenience. fuel cell means the car will be out of my possession and in someone else's hands for an unknown amount of time. i put a lot of street miles on the car and a 10 or even 15 gallon cell is not attractive. ethanol goes quick.

i considered a baffled enclosure and use of a hydramat. i'm beating up my professional resources with these concerns. they have the knowledge & ability to modify the factory tank to a sufficient level of performance. it will become an opinion of what is ultimately more difficult.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:52 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
eh yeah. a lot to consider. i was really hoping to use the factory tank. i thought about it today (do i really want to do this again?) while i was removing the fuel tank, it was 28* inside with both small heaters running. the ambient temp outside was 6.

its not a race car. 99% won't see any road course/autocross action. but it will see a lot of straight line. and will definitely have enough power to be a concern. i dont want a fuel cell because of capacity and convenience. fuel cell means the car will be out of my possession and in someone else's hands for an unknown amount of time. i put a lot of street miles on the car and a 10 or even 15 gallon cell is not attractive. ethanol goes quick.

i considered a baffled enclosure and use of a hydramat. i'm beating up my professional resources with these concerns. they have the knowledge & ability to modify the factory tank to a sufficient level of performance. it will become an opinion of what is ultimately more difficult.
Did you consider my post? An addittional small surge tank will tick all those boxes ...
* Keep stock tank unmodifieed.
* Stock fuel pump will ha a lot more flow unrestricted.
* Surge tank can be small, because stock fuel pump is contantly filling it.
* Surge tank is not vented, it is wented thru stock tank ventilation.
* Surge tank and new fuel puimp can be placed anywhere between tank and engine,

This is how I did it with dual pumps to feed the engine:
You need three connections in the bottom and one on top of the surge tank if using only one main pump. The fuel return to main tank is the only one at the top, So stock in tank pump will constantly overfill the surge tank back to main tank.
It is not even a problem if the stock in tank pump flow les than engine demand because fuel return go to the bottom of tock tank and flow reverses stock pump does not flow enough.
I actually has the stock in tank pump fail an the corvette was still drivable without any problems at all.

There are a lot of finished products for this.:
One example:

Last edited by JoBy; 01-21-2024 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:11 AM
s346k
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

im in the middle of a gen v LT1 swap. i haven't looked into a surge tank, but it already sounds complicated when introduced to the factory pwm fuel system of direct injection. i already have enough problems as it is haha.

im trying very hard to keep it simple. ultimately i will need enough fuel system to feed ~700 chp na with ethanol. which is why the factory pwm system is so enticing.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:03 PM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

I don't see that complicating much. Both pumps run on the same signal from ECU.
One more benefit is that it can be added later so no problem keeping the stock tank for now.
I have not researched anything about gen v LT1 but I assume that there is a high pressure injector pump on the engine, and in tank pump is a feeder pump.
The surge tank / fuel catch tank, is just a simple solution when the stock tank is not good enough during high G's.
There is a bladder in the stock tank and E85 is not a problem. In my opinion, modifying the stock tank is a much bigger task than adding a small surge tank.
The stock fuel pump will have no problem feeding enough fuel for 700 hp on ethanol if used for feeding a surge tank.

This is the feeder pump I use now, 7 psi and rated 200 hp with carburator. On the rollers my Corvette put 850 hp to the wheels using E85.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...7-0-psi-fac-rt

Quick Reply: baffled fuel tank options?