C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just purchased used 383 splayed main forged lt1, any tips to check over?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 11:04 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
I have 4.125 size with valve pockets Cometic gaskets with 210 AFR heads (383 boosted with D1). The part number is H2430SP10xxS. The xx is the thickness 50, 70, or whatever.

Anything smaller will be exposed in the cylinder increasing the compression ratio. My 1st engine had the wrong size and it had burn marks on it. That engine blew up from that and other issues .
I called Cometic and they recommended that gasket, however they acted like that is the one for an SBC - even though I told them I had a 1993 (gen 2) LT1
The guy said he wasnt aware that there was a difference between head gaskets between the 2 (SBC and LT1) and acted like it would work on my Lt1.

I thought the head gaskets are different (SBC vs. LT1) due to reverse cooling?

someone correct me if im wrong
Old 03-15-2024, 01:32 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

On my invoice it states "GM LT1 SM BLOCK 92-96 4.125 MLS-5 with valve pockets."
Old 03-15-2024, 02:28 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
On my invoice it states "GM LT1 SM BLOCK 92-96 4.125 MLS-5 with valve pockets."
THank you

I called up and they did confirm that part number is for the 92-97 LT1/4
The following users liked this post:
STEVEN13 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 04:35 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Old 03-21-2024, 07:43 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

You should pick up that Arizona Speed & Marine monoblade in the FS section for this build.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:01 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
You should pick up that Arizona Speed & Marine monoblade in the FS section for this build.
ive already got one and thats what will be going on it

UPDATE:
had issues with pistons contacting the intake valve. No damage done, bc i was hand turning the crank. However it has me spooked.

My new solid lifters are .75” shorter than the ls7 hydraulic lifters (i had in there), so logic told me i need a .75” longer pushrod. So i set my adjustable length pushrod to .75” longer and that was the result

also usjng shaft mount rockers

i sent engine back to the shop to have them finish the top end since i apparently dont know what im doing

Last edited by dizwiz24; 03-23-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:20 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Are you sure the cam is timed correctly?
Old 03-23-2024, 08:49 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Are you sure the cam is timed correctly?
the engine shop put that in when they did the short block

thats why i took it right back
Old 03-23-2024, 09:15 AM
AmoriFati
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
ive already got one and thats what will be going on it

UPDATE:
had issues with pistons contacting the intake valve. No damage done, bc i was hand turning the crank. However it has me spooked.

My new solid lifters are .75” shorter than the ls7 hydraulic lifters (i had in there), so logic told me i need a .75” longer pushrod. So i set my adjustable length pushrod to .75” longer and that was the result

also usjng shaft mount rockers

i sent engine back to the shop to have them finish the top end since i apparently dont know what im doing
Are they shorter by that much on the inside where the pushrod touches? Body length means nothing.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:30 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by AmoriFati
Are they shorter by that much on the inside where the pushrod touches? Body length means nothing.
yes, i am talking about from the roller wheel to the pushrod ‘seat’
The following users liked this post:
AmoriFati (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 05:08 PM
AmoriFati
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I may be wrong, but since it is shorter by that amount, I think there is a different length, not exactly .750 due to it being a ratio at the rocker. You set it at the base of cam regardless, then the length of the pushrod is needed just to get full lift at the tip of the rocker. Thats why you use an adjustable pushrod for verifying length needed.
I am speaking out loud, not to you, just confirming if that is what you do.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:44 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Because you have shaft rockers the pushrods would have needed to be quite a bit shorter.... the adjuster cup sticks way further down than typical stud mount rocker.

Also you should have figured out your rocker geometry with the head on a work bench.... a great advantage of shaft rockers is that the stand height determines the rocker geometry. It's a very simple and quick setup to see where you need to be. The little tool they send gets you very close and from there it's easy to fine tune if needed... you can even (using checking springs) and a dial indicator push the valves down to max lift to verify your rocker is rolling out and then back towards the intake face at max lift and like I said, fine tune it until you get the narrowest possible sweep.

The pushrods on a solid lifter with shaft rocker setup is likewise very simple. You put the lifter in, rotate the cam until it's on the basecircle, put the head on with the rockers bolted down, adjust the rocker adjuster down 1 turn from fully seated and stick an adjustable pushrod in there (completely closed)... lengthen the adjustable pushrod until it just makes contact with the seats of the rocker adjuster and lifter.... Unbolt the rockers, pull the pushrod out and measure it.

Unless you have checking springs on the head, you should not be checking piston to valve with an adjustable pushrod.... mechanical roller springs with easily bend or flex it so much it'll be damaged or give a false reading. You really shouldn't do it even with checking springs but I do occasionally when I don't already have a correct length pushrod at my disposal.

I know you already sent it to someone else but maybe this will help someone else in the future.
Will
Old 03-23-2024, 07:54 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Because you have shaft rockers the pushrods would have needed to be quite a bit shorter.... the adjuster cup sticks way further down than typical stud mount rocker.

Also you should have figured out your rocker geometry with the head on a work bench.... a great advantage of shaft rockers is that the stand height determines the rocker geometry. It's a very simple and quick setup to see where you need to be. The little tool they send gets you very close and from there it's easy to fine tune if needed... you can even (using checking springs) and a dial indicator push the valves down to max lift to verify your rocker is rolling out and then back towards the intake face at max lift and like I said, fine tune it until you get the narrowest possible sweep.

The pushrods on a solid lifter with shaft rocker setup is likewise very simple. You put the lifter in, rotate the cam until it's on the basecircle, put the head on with the rockers bolted down, adjust the rocker adjuster down 1 turn from fully seated and stick an adjustable pushrod in there (completely closed)... lengthen the adjustable pushrod until it just makes contact with the seats of the rocker adjuster and lifter.... Unbolt the rockers, pull the pushrod out and measure it.

Unless you have checking springs on the head, you should not be checking piston to valve with an adjustable pushrod.... mechanical roller springs with easily bend or flex it so much it'll be damaged or give a false reading. You really shouldn't do it even with checking springs but I do occasionally when I don't already have a correct length pushrod at my disposal.

I know you already sent it to someone else but maybe this will help someone else in the future.
Will

yeah i had the shop the built the bottom end install checker springs before attempting the ill-fated measurement

ive set them up before (determined pushrod length) on my old hydraulic roller setup and it ran great

whats messing me up is i have 2 new variables to deal with that will affect pushrod length

1. Conversion of hydraulic to solid roller cam (and the shorter solid lifters
2. Jesel shaft mount rockers - which are something im unfamiliar with

other problems with the shaft mount rockers included
1. The head bolts they supply (that has a flat head that sits below the stand) dont bottom out. They either need shortened, or a washer? installes under the head

2. the center of the tips of jesel
shaft rocker arms arent centered over the center of each valve stem. It like the whole stand is 1-2mm too far rearward on those heads (afr210 comp elim)

given all the issues, i took it back to them to let them sort it out. Im sure they will charge me plenty for that

Old 03-23-2024, 08:07 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
yeah i had the shop the built the bottom end install checker springs before attempting the ill-fated measurement

ive set them up before (determined pushrod length) on my old hydraulic roller setup and it ran great

whats messing me up is i have 2 new variables to deal with that will affect pushrod length

1. Conversion of hydraulic to solid roller cam (and the shorter solid lifters
2. Jesel shaft mount rockers - which are something im unfamiliar with

other problems with the shaft mount rockers included
1. The head bolts they supply (that has a flat head that sits below the stand) dont bottom out. They either need shortened, or a washer? installes under the head

2. the center of the tips of jesel
shaft rocker arms arent centered over the center of each valve stem. It like the whole stand is 1-2mm too far rearward on those heads (afr210 comp elim)

given all the issues, i took it back to them to let them sort it out. Im sure they will charge me plenty for that
Pretty common to have to shorten the stand bolts.

So contrary to internet lore, it's not imperative that the roller be centered on the valve tip... as long as it's in the center 3rd of the valve tip throughout its lift cycle, you are fine. And you have to understand that with proper geometry, the roller will move from the intake face side of the tip across towards the exhaust face side... It then moves back towards the intake face side a 1/4 way to near max lift.... Jesel uses a geometry system where the rocker moves across the valve the most during low lift and lower valve spring pressure.....
Will

Quick Reply: Just purchased used 383 splayed main forged lt1, any tips to check over?