C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 rear end squirms around when accelerating or decelerating, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 11:37 AM
apache1960
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 86 rear end squirms around when accelerating or decelerating, any ideas?

Hello all my 86 started making on and off clunking and slight grinding type noises and last week I could fell the rear end squirming around and moving the car left or right when accelerating or decelerating. I replaced the drivers side bearing hub and ujoints but still get a light ticking and clunking from that same side. I still need to do the passenger side hub and ujoints but don't hear any noise from the passenger side but it still squirms around the same so maybe the bearing is just that bad but not making noise. I took a long breaker bar and tried to move the suspension around when on jack stands and raised and lower the suspension on each side and can't get any movement so no clue what is going on, bushings or? I want to figure out what others have done or experienced and what did you replace that cured the problem? I hate to dig into the bearing and ujoints on the passenger side and have to take all that stuff apart again because I missed something but right now no clue it just started happening a few weeks ago, It just turned 100k and I am sure there are tons of hidden gremlins in a 37 year old car that just decay or wear out.

Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 11:43 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Have you checked the C-Beam attaching hardware at both the trans and the rear? If they're loose it will create what you feel. If they've been loose for an extended period of time and holes are elongated it's certainly more of an issue and requires a different strategy to correct.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:54 AM
apache1960
Intermediate

Would that be the bushings in green? Also has anyone had problems like this with the part in the red circle? Not sure what it is called but the outside tie rods are solid. Also,do any of the bushings in blue effect side to side movement?

Old 12-03-2023, 12:01 PM
apache1960
Intermediate

Mabye this strut rod center part? I can't seem to find a replacement part but just started looking so curious what others have done with it or if it effected anything but it would be the most likely to make the rear end move left to right!
J.Abbott (12-11-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 12:11 PM
drive it
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Have you checked the C-Beam attaching hardware at both the trans and the rear? If they're loose it will create what you feel. If they've been loose for an extended period of time and holes are elongated it's certainly more of an issue and requires a different strategy to correct.
The c-beam he is referring to goes from the rear end to the transmission, it 3/4 surrounds the driveshaft.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:30 PM
apache1960
Intermediate

I got it, that is tight I just changed the rear end and trans fluid it was solid!
Old 12-03-2023, 08:49 PM
apache1960
Intermediate

Yeah something really funky, most of it has to be the bearing. I replaced the drivers side but not the passenger side yet, it looks way off, it's tilted in at the top in turns inward.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:06 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Have you had the rear professionally aligned ?
WVZR-1 (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 10:27 AM
apache1960
Intermediate

Yes about 1500 miles ago when I put new tires on, the bearing noise just started a few weeks ago and is really noisy last time I drove it. I will have to do it again after I replace the bearing but want to make sure I also replace what is worn or bushings before I have it aligned again. I just hit 100k and stuff seems to be piling up as far as stuff failing lately or wearing out. I am doing the parking brake shoes and brake pads and probably should just do the strut rod bushings, dog bone things and the ones in the green circle are at the top, ugh always something lately but I love my car.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:19 AM
cshuman
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by apache1960
Would that be the bushings in green? Also has anyone had problems like this with the part in the red circle? Not sure what it is called but the outside tie rods are solid. Also,do any of the bushings in blue effect side to side movement?

The sway bar #11 above there is a link that connects it to the hub If I remember
if the bushing in it fail it will make clunking noises when you go over bumps
Old 12-10-2023, 02:42 PM
apache1960
Intermediate

Sometimes it's the most simple and obvious, the wheel hub bearings were bad, but I couldn't feel any play, I could not get them to move with the wheels off the ground. I am staying in the California desert and noticed how much heavy dust blows around, there was a lot of grit in the bearings.

Now the wheels both sit straight, lesson learned.

Most of the bushings are obviously dry rotted but not as bad as I thought for a 37 year old car, those will be a good winter project since I need a good, cheap press from Harbor Freight looks like the easiest way to replace them.

Old 12-11-2023, 06:21 PM
J.Abbott
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

If the car moves under acceleration and deacceleration it is the rear toe bar assembly. This is a very common issue. You can't get the stock one anymore so you will have to go to VanSteel and get their HD one. It is number 14 in the picture. You can replace the outer tire rods on it, but the inners wear just as bad and you cant replace them.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 rear end squirms around when accelerating or decelerating, any ideas?

Quick Reply: 86 rear end squirms around when accelerating or decelerating, any ideas?