C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 03:31 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install? (SwampRat)

I had circuit city do mine. I took a day off from work and was there for 14 hours!!!! In the end it came out great but the guy ran into some issues. I did not trust them to leave it and pick it up so i watched. I actually learned alot. I could rip the entire dash outta my car in about a half hour now if i had too. I had free installation on everything. All i did was buy the head unit and four speakers. They had issues bypassing the pre amp under the passenger side of the dash. Eventually we just had it disconnected and ran fresh wire directly from the head unit to the speakers. I used to Bose speaker enclosures and they work great. Everything was a perfect fit including the head unit wth no modifications other than the standard corvette kit. It looks and sounds great. I was pissed i took up 14 hours of my time. But the manager himself did it, i watched, learned and it all turned out great in the end. I ended up with a stereo that sound without exaggerating three times as good as the bose did for $460 bucks out the door (I got some real deals on the eqipment too). If you can watch them do it i would let them. You may save a bundle, JMHO.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:34 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install? (1STVETTE90)

1stvette90, keep in mind the store is not installing the equipment, the technician is. Ask for references (preferably on a c4) and call them. Ask how the work went, if there were any problems and if they would recommend the installer. Ten minutes spent on feedback is a good investment in your car. :yesnod:
Old 01-24-2003, 04:05 PM
1STVETTE90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install? (92TripleBlack)

1st question...How do Iget the shifter **** off?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:26 PM
oldjoe
Intermediate

Default Re: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install? (1STVETTE90)

I personally let the fellow that I trusted the most with my Vette do the install. MYSELF!!
Old 01-26-2003, 03:59 AM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

Everyone is forgetting something. The bigger chains will fix it if they screw it up. Best Buy put in my CD with no problems. If they did screw something up, they would take responsibility. That's something many smaller stores wouldn't do. At least around here.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:33 AM
Mrcorvette91
Pro

Default Re: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install? (flyersfan1088)

I have to admit, Best Buy installed a Sony CD changer in my Vette vert, and did a superb job, so I took my BMW Z3 to them for a CD changer install, and they did another wonderful job. I can only speak for the installers at that store, (Knoxville,Tennessee), but I am very well pleased with their work. :yesnod:
Old 01-26-2003, 04:35 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install? (flyersfan1088)

Depends... I'd probably trust them to install a clock radio on my desk. :rolleyes:

I like the idea of watching them install. After 14 hours, that guy must have been pissed that he was forced to do it right on a free install. It really does take that long when you take your time and have to fabricate new speaker mounts, and tear the entire interior apart to run wire. The second time through, it's much easier.... which tells me it was his first time working on a Corvette. I bet their "free install" policy will get some asterisks added to it. :yesnod:
Old 01-26-2003, 07:46 AM
wake
Race Director

If you want your wiring butchered...

I learned the hard way on my T/A... Nobody touches the wiring harnesses except for me and the Chevy dealer (and they're questionable)...
Old 01-26-2003, 08:56 AM
95AquaC4
Le Mans Master

I let Best Buy install a tuner in my Wrangler. Now, while the job was fast, neat, and looked good, the radio powers up when I turn on my headlamps!! :confused: Whether the key is on or off!
Old 01-26-2003, 01:35 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure that, somewhere, there has to be a good stereo shop. I haven't found one yet, and I've been to a lot of them. My remote start still doesn't work.

I went to one shop to get a DIN plate for my '87, they had a Z06 and a '61 sitting out front, so I figured they'd know how to do Vette's. The Z06 was a hack-job, and the '61 looked like a high-school electronics class installed the stereo/subs.

I'm glad you decided to do yours yourself, with Corvette's, the old adage, "If you want something done right...do it yourself", holds especially true. I'm not sure how to get your shifter **** off, as I think its a different design than my '87, but you might try this. Pull the little button straight up, then you should see a C-Clip...thats how mine is, don't know about yours.

If you haven't already ordered parts, the best prices I've found are at http://www.etronics.com , they're prices are way cheaper than any "discount" store I've ever seen. Shipping is a bit much, but its still a great deal. My whole project was $310, $282 of that was from the website above, and its a pretty decent system. Here's pics: http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/noworries/stereo.shtml

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2003, 02:12 PM
spdrcrj
Racer

Default Re: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install? (NoWorries)

I had the Circuit City here install my system. Take it from experience, go to a stereo shop and get it done. Ive seen the term "chop job" on this thread a few times. Let me mention it again........"chop job". Its worth the few extra dollars to get it done right. :yesnod:
Old 01-26-2003, 04:25 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not in this lifetime...... :leaving:
Old 01-27-2003, 11:45 AM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

i used to work at circuit city and i would trust them. If your getting new speakers its not really that hard of an install for them. I can tell you right now though they wont give you a free install on a vette. Plus the bose speakers i believe are 8 ohms or 1 ohm or some crap and that wont work real well with just a new cd player so you will want to get all new speakers anyway.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:24 PM
joecaver
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

My truck yes. The vette? HELL NO! :nono:
Old 01-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Torch Red
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

No! I would not ever consider for any of my vehicles...NEVER!

I might buy a DVD or CD there but that is even a maybe!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 04:16 PM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install? (96TorchRedCoupe)

There are some very good Chain, Car audio only stores in the country. Audio express is a good example. They do damn clean, nice work. They have 1 dollar installs, and components are well priced. They are steep on charging for wire, and all the fancy little toys. But for a straight up stereo install i give them :thumbs: :thumbs:

They installed an Alpine deck in my car a few years ago, and i then swapped in a pioneer head unit myself. Their wiring was great, and the scheduled me in for a slot with their lead installer who had done work with corvettes. I watched him start the job, and he knew his way around almost as well as i do lol :)
Definately find a Reputable high end shop its always worth the money unless you know how to do it yourself

Milan
Old 01-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Irishpilot03
Racer

No way man, I had Best Buy install an aftermarket Mp3 player and they cracked my 6spd shifter console plate. They would pay me for a replacement part, but there are no replacement plates for a '94. I would pay for an install at a sound shop that specalizes in sports cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install?

Old 01-27-2003, 09:01 PM
rwebman
8th Gear

I would be very careful about letting the boys play around in your car.. the one nice thing is that if they do screw up anything,,, like they did on my Vette... They will fully pay for the repairs... They cut a data wire on install that cost them (ciruit city) close to $1000.00 to fix.

your choice.

:rant:
Old 01-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I wouldn't
Old 01-27-2003, 11:26 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

1st question...How do Iget the shifter **** off?
Stick or auto? Stick, pry out the shift pattern from the end of the **** with a knife. Pull the pin you find in there with some vice grips. Unscrew.

Quick Reply: Would you guys trust Circuit City/ Best Buy etc for stereo install?