C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32mm front & 26mm rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 08:49 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32mm front & 26mm rear

:cheers:

I have an 88 vert with Z52 package, thinking of moving to the heavier bars. Any one done it? Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks

Jack :steering: [I love that Lil Guy]
Old 01-22-2003, 09:14 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'm going to redo my suspension with some bigger sway bars from VBP, just for autocrossing purposes. Along with some Poly bushings, it would stiffen the car up a good bit.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:29 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32mm front & 26mm rear

The neat thing about bigger sway bars is that they work to flatten the
car in a turn without having to increase the spring rate, which would in
turn require shocks with more dampening and make the overall ride
harsher.

It's a nice upgrade!

Dan
Old 01-22-2003, 10:35 PM
BrianS
Pro

Default Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32mm front & 26mm

I went with the 30 mm solid fron and 26 mm solid rear from GM (got a great deal on them from Jeff Korp). This gives a pretty neutral handeling. I have heard (although I can not confirm personally) that the use of a stiffer front bar without the use of a stiffer rear bar will cause your car to understear. You may want to do a search on this topic for more info.

_Brian
Old 01-23-2003, 07:31 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32

I'm upgrading mine as well. Directly from gordon..........upgrading from to 30MM front and 26 rear will give you the RPO code from FE1 (soft suspension) to FE7 (heavy duty zr1) suspension. "you'll have a hellava car there" quoted from carlisle when I spoke with him.

Chris

[Modified by kittmaster, 7:31 AM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-23-2003, 08:14 AM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32 (kittmaster)

I had a friend put the 32mm bar on with the 26mm rear bar, and it was just too stiff. He swapped it for the 30mm and got a much better handling car. My Z07 car came stock from the factory that way and it feels pretty neutral, depending on tire wear...

Mike
Old 01-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Aaron's 87
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the 32mm VB&P bar on my 87 Vette and it was just plain made wrong. I never got it to fit. It might work for later suspension cars though.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:21 AM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: (vader86)

I'm going to redo my suspension with some bigger sway bars from VBP, just for autocrossing purposes. Along with some Poly bushings, it would stiffen the car up a good bit.
Check the rules if you are going to compete in a class. You could bump yourself out of the class you want if you change the front sway bar.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Sway Bars!

Jack, I'm doing that swap as we speak.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Izover4u
Drifting

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32 (luvmy92)

so the Z07 comes with the 30mm front and the 26 rear sway bars from the factory? how do i know what suspension i have? i know its in the RPO codes but where?? :confused:
Old 01-23-2003, 01:34 PM
all4c4lt4
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32 (Izover4u)

so the Z07 comes with the 30mm front and the 26 rear sway bars from the factory? how do i know what suspension i have? i know its in the RPO codes but where?? :confused:
RPO codes are on the bottom of the lid to the rear storage area, behind the passenger seat. You can do a search to see what the codes are.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:25 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32 (Izover4u)

Check this out: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/susp_chart.html

Dan
Old 01-23-2003, 03:24 PM
BLUE ONE
Racer

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32 (danno85)

30/26 is a nice upgrade did it on my 90, love it cheap too from jeff kopp. :D
Old 01-24-2003, 09:58 AM
Cratzy
Racer

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32 (BLUE ONE)

I have the 32/26 combo. I put it on together with the adj. Koni's so I can't tell which made the biggest improvement, but it made A BIG IMPROVEMENT! :D
I had the softride option.

Now it is like a real sportscar should be. :steering:

I bought it from VetteBrakes. It was easy to install.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:45 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them

I do have the 32/26 bars and I am happy with them. Some guys said that my car would push "like a pig" but one thing common with those people was that they had no experience with the bars they warned me about. In reality my car has a very slight and controllable oversteer when getting close to the limit. Really enjoyable on a road course.

Of course these bars will work differently with another Vette depending what suspension mods and setup it has but I know these bars can be made to work. I recommend adjustable shocks to help with tuning the suspension to your liking.

My other suspension mods are in my sig and my springs are stock soft rides.

Regards,

Toni
Old 01-24-2003, 07:49 PM
johnboy89
Instructor

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them (ToniH)

If memory serves me, the Corvette Challenge Car ran with 30mm solid front and 24mm solid rear.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:42 AM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them (johnboy89)

the 26mm solid rear i believe was ZR1 specific. thats because of the wider track and wider tire. Thos that run the 26mm make sure you have good tires, or wide tires or oversteer is the end result. I did the swap 4 years ago and still love it. I installed The z07 springs, the 96 z51 spec custom bilsteins and poly bushings throughout. FIrst thing i noticed was the rear wants to slide in slower tighter turns. I went with 18s , a better tire and it sticks much better. ALthough to be honest at higher speeds the feeling of the rear stepping out kinda crosses my mind. I would have switched to a 24mm solid bar but im putting on 11.5 inch rear skins soon.. so the 26 will do. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32mm front & 26mm rear

Old 01-25-2003, 09:12 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them

I've been running the 30mm/26mm combo with poly bushings for the last 3 years, it's nuetral even with my greasy OEM Goodyear tires. Why waste the money on the 32mm bar when the 30mm give you better handling?

All other things equal, a 32mm front bar will push more than a 30mm front bar, it's the law!

Eric
Old 01-25-2003, 03:53 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them (silver & red CE)

> All other things equal, a 32mm front bar will push more than a 30mm front bar, it's the law!

And in your car it really could dip the balance to understeer but...sadly in real world nothing is equal and all cars are different. There is so many parts that contribute to suspension performance that there is no way to know in advance how a part will perform in all cars. You simply need to try and see. Then there also is other factors: tire temp, weather, road surface etc.

It makes your life so much easier if you have adjustability in your suspension (sway bars, springs and shocks). With them and time you can adjust your car to your liking and/or to the situation (autocross, race day etc.). It is also important that your wheel bearings, ball joints, bushings, shocks etc. are in good order. They should be renewed if in doubt before buying any more radical sway bars.

Most street driven cars do not need such an adjustability however but if one buys the biggest bars available it would be nice to have at least one thing you can adjust you can do something if it doesn't work like you expect.

> Why waste the money on the 32mm bar when the 30mm give you better handling?

Again - in your case. You can't really generalize. :rolleyes: In my case it would have been worse as I currently have slight oversteer.

I am running Goodyear Eagle GSC's and switching to something else next summer. I will have interesting time testing how the new set will work with my car and if I need to make some changes :)

Regards,

Toni
Old 01-26-2003, 12:36 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them (ToniH)

I used the 30/26 solid bars from GM mainly because thats what was offered on 89-91 Z51/Z07 cars and they cost me $155 for the pair from GM new.

Part numbers are on my home page.

Also do a search, tons of info on this.

:)

Quick Reply: Sway Bars! Haven't sen much here about them, Thinking of going to 32mm front & 26mm rear