C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

jacking point

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 03:48 AM
sfields1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jacking point

hello i recently purchased a 92 lt1, this is my first corvette i am going to rotate the tires soon and will be putting the car on 4 jackstands i was wondering (never have jacked one of these cara) where do i lift using a floorjack?
thanks for any replies
Old 01-20-2003, 07:44 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: jacking point (sfields1)

Take alook at your vette manual that came with the car....if you don't have it, go to the Corvette Fever web site and look up tech questions for your year vette...or any C4..
tony :thumbs:
Old 01-20-2003, 08:07 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are four jack points. Both fore and aft of the door. For the front, they are just under the "gill" panel. For the rear, they are just before the wheel opening. Each is marked by "Jack Point" stamp.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:17 AM
PTz-92-LT1
Racer

Welcome to the forum, there is no better place to get info and congradualtions on the purchase. I personally think you made the best decision on a year...but I'm bias.

Ditto to the above regarding jackinging. Remember you can only rotate front to back. No side to side unless you actually dismount the rubber from the rims. Also torque the lug nuts 100 fl/lb. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Chefskeez6
Pro

At first your probably not going to believe that you are actually supposed to jack up on those vertical plies of metal but they are solid. With the floor jack in one of the jacking points watch your rocker panel that i doesn't get crushed. Oh and one more thing while jackstands are always good for safety Lifting the car in one of the jacking points (i use the front one) will lift one whole side of the car off the ground. I see no need to put the car on four jack stands as you will be able to remove both wheels at the same time.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Skant
Instructor

There are two ways to jack up the vette. The first is already described. There are two problems with it...

1) You can't place jack stands at the same points that you lift the car. So you end up placing either the jack or the jack stands close to but not at the jacking points because there isn't really enough room for both.

2) When the car is lifted by these jacking points individually, it puts twisting force on the car. It won't break the car, but it is not ideal. And it's been known to crack glass tops and windows (not common). These jacking points are really designed for repair bay hoists that lift all four points at once. Or to lift one corner of the car to change a tire in an emergency.

The alternative... and I believe better method... is to jack the car up from the front and back, and then place jack stands under the previously mentioned jack points at the corners. This method places no twisting force on the car at all.

Here are the steps:

#1 Place a couple of 2x6's under the front tires and drive up onto them. These are needed to raise the front of the vette enough to fit the scissor jack underneath. Some folks use the rhino ramps for this purpose.

#2 Push the jack under the front end. The jacking point is under the front suspension cross member. That is the big H shaped piece that the lower suspension arms attach to. Lift up the front of the car by it, and then place jack stands under the front labelled jacking points that are just behind the front tires.

#3 Push the jack under the rear end. The jacking point is under the real axle differential housing. You will probably need the jack-a-vette product (a $15 item I believe) that lets your jack reach up between the exhaust pipes to reach it. DON'T lift by the spring (that's the thick bar that runs across there. It looks like a solid piece, but it's made of fiberglass). Once you've lifted the rear end, place jack stands under the labelled jacking points just in front of the rear tires.

And there you go. The downside of this method is you need the jack-a-vette product. But it's pretty cheap. The advantages are that you put less strain on the vette... it's less nerve racking because you don't watch the car twist... you only have to jack 2 times rather than 4 times... plus you can leave the jack under the front and/or back as a safety in case your jack stands fail.

Btw... this method works especially quick and nice for oil changes. Just lift up the front of the car only and place the front jack stands. You jack just once and you're good to go. Very easy. Plus, as I understand it, with the car tilted back like that it gets more oil out of the engine when you drain it.

Hope that helps!

- Skant
Old 01-20-2003, 01:30 PM
Hamert
Racer

Default Re: jacking point (Skant)

I've also heard that you can use a piece of 4x4 across the spare tire to jack up the back rather than getting the jack-a-vette thing.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:50 PM
lead_foot
Racer

Skant, I have never used the labelled jacking points. They look like the rocker panels will be damaged if you use them. What is the proper technique?
I use your A Frame method up front. Then I support along the seams just behind the front or just forward of the rear wheels. The GM manual shows these positions as the ones to use when jacking with a floor jack. Jacking the Vette makes me nervous. I'm afraid of damaging something. Any hints are appreciated. :)
Old 01-20-2003, 06:09 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 Place a couple of 2x6's under the front tires and drive up onto them. These are needed to raise the front of the vette enough to fit the scissor jack underneath. Some folks use the rhino ramps for this purpose.
Why go through the trouble of raising the front so you can jack it first? If you have an adapter that allows you to jack the rear up first, you should then have plenty of room to get your floor jack under the front crossmember. That's how I do it. Just remember to let the front down first. If you let the rear down and then the front, the jack will become stuck under the car and chances are you will not be able to move the handle up or down to jack it back up. (speaking from experience there) IMO the jack-a-vette or similar adapter (I had one made) is the only way to go if you plan on jacking the car up often.

[Modified by vetracer, 4:43 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 06:56 PM
1SLO POK
Racer

There are two ways to jack up the vette. The first is already described. There are two problems with it...

1) You can't place jack stands at the same points that you lift the car. So you end up placing either the jack or the jack stands close to but not at the jacking points because there isn't really enough room for both.

2) When the car is lifted by these jacking points individually, it puts twisting force on the car. It won't break the car, but it is not ideal. And it's been known to crack glass tops and windows (not common). These jacking points are really designed for repair bay hoists that lift all four points at once. Or to lift one corner of the car to change a tire in an emergency.

The alternative... and I believe better method... is to jack the car up from the front and back, and then place jack stands under the previously mentioned jack points at the corners. This method places no twisting force on the car at all.

Here are the steps:

#2 Push the jack under the front end. The jacking point is under the front suspension cross member. That is the big H shaped piece that the lower suspension arms attach to. Lift up the front of the car by it, and then place jack stands under the front labelled jacking points that are just behind the front tires.

#3 Push the jack under the rear end. The jacking point is under the real axle differential housing. You will probably need the jack-a-vette product (a $15 item I believe) that lets your jack reach up between the exhaust pipes to reach it. DON'T lift by the spring (that's the thick bar that runs across there. It looks like a solid piece, but it's made of fiberglass). Once you've lifted the rear end, place jack stands under the labelled jacking points just in front of the rear tires.

And there you go. The downside of this method is you need the jack-a-vette product. But it's pretty cheap. The advantages are that you put less strain on the vette... it's less nerve racking because you don't watch the car twist... you only have to jack 2 times rather than 4 times... plus you can leave the jack under the front and/or back as a safety in case your jack stands fail.

Btw... this method works especially quick and nice for oil changes. Just lift up the front of the car only and place the front jack stands. You jack just once and you're good to go. Very easy. Plus, as I understand it, with the car tilted back like that it gets more oil out of the engine when you drain it.

Hope that helps!

- Skant
:iagree: :thumbs:
Old 01-21-2003, 09:33 AM
HeeHaw89
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: jacking point (1SLO POK)

Where can you get one of those jack a vette things?
Old 01-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: jacking point (oldace84)

:thumbs:
Old 01-21-2003, 08:51 PM
GrnVette94
Heel & Toe

Default Re: jacking point (Ramrod92)

Can you rotate the tire&rims front to back. My Rears are 9.5" wide while my fronts are only 8.5" Mine is a '94, I don't know if this is different on the '92 or not. The only way I have found to rotate the tire is to pull them all off and get the rubber swapped from side to side. at least this way you change your inside and outside wear points. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To jacking point

Quick Reply: jacking point