C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Distributor cover removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 03:55 PM
Lager1
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor cover removal ?

This 91 new to me runs like butt on cold start and all the way thru warm up, then runs OK when hot. Wanted to take a look at the innerds of the distributor cap and rotor and I cant get the metal cover off? The hex head screws are right up against the recessed holes in the aluminum cover. Looks like they have never been removed and its possible since the car only has 80K on the clock. Looks like Im going to have to go " cave man" on the cover to get to the screws. The alum cover might not survive my next step.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:05 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Wernt they torx screws?.

Either way, use the correct bit and impact driver (that you use a hammer with). Maybe even fill that cavity with some PB blaster and let it soak.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:22 PM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by FostersPerformance
Wernt they torx screws?.

Either way, use the correct bit and impact driver (that you use a hammer with). Maybe even fill that cavity with some PB blaster and let it soak.
This is the way to do it, although, if those screws haven't been out since 1991 expect some dissimilar metal corrosion (the cover is aluminum, the screws are steel). Be patient, if you break them off, it will take some effort to get the remainder out...
Old 07-21-2023, 06:45 PM
Lager1
Navigator

Man,, I wish they were torx screws,, Nope just plain hex head screws, maybe 7-8 MM or 5/16? I cant get a socket on these screws no matter if I use metric or SAE due to the interference of the alum cover meaning too close. If got all sorts of sockets cause I was a tech for over 45 years. Have no idea how anyone would have such a thin wall socket to to fit in there.. Cave man time I guess ?
Old 07-21-2023, 06:50 PM
Lager1
Navigator

Yep,, if they were Torks,, Looks like Im going to have to drill the head of the screw off, then either reinstall a Torx or a Phillps.. Thanks for the reply.. really appriciate it.. I have NO idea what was OEM or some one replaced these screws. with hex heads.. Gotta love an old car..
Old 07-21-2023, 06:59 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 445 Likes on 405 Posts

Have ground more than a few socket walls thin in the past years. But if you're patient could try to cut a groove in for a screwdriver. Or use a reverse drill bit, more than a few times I have gotten screws out with them.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:11 PM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 221 Posts

Yep, cut the heads off, tap and remove
Old 07-21-2023, 07:47 PM
Lager1
Navigator

Originally Posted by s carter
Have ground more than a few socket walls thin in the past years. But if you're patient could try to cut a groove in for a screwdriver. Or use a reverse drill bit, more than a few times I have gotten screws out with them.
Now , there is an idea,,,, Thanks for your imput.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:48 PM
Lager1
Navigator

Originally Posted by Incorvettei
Yep, cut the heads off, tap and remove
LOL,, last resort,, might have to. I gotta get this cap off.. Thanks for the suggestion, see your a cave man too ?
Old 07-21-2023, 07:57 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Lager1
Man,, I wish they were torx screws,, Nope just plain hex head screws, maybe 7-8 MM or 5/16? I cant get a socket on these screws no matter if I use metric or SAE due to the interference of the alum cover meaning too close. If got all sorts of sockets cause I was a tech for over 45 years. Have no idea how anyone would have such a thin wall socket to to fit in there.. Cave man time I guess ?
I believe the factory screws are M4 x 0.7 button head torx using a T20 wrench. My 91 was missing the cover. I checked the tapped hole size and I am using stainless steel screws. It sounds like yours has had the holes re-tapped. An M4 screw is .001 inch larger than a 5/32 diameter. If you can hit them with some PB Blaster you may be able to use a small easy out to remove them without destroying the cover.
The following users liked this post:
WVZR-1 (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 08:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

The original screws were M4-.7 and were Torx so if yours aren't Torx they likely weren't M4X.7 either. Someone quite likely has done something other than OE for trim retention.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:52 PM
J H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use plain ole screws that I install/remove with a flat-head screwdriver
Old 07-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Lager1
Navigator

Winner Winner Chicken dinner goes to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Member S Carter... Just cut a slot on the head of the hex head screw head with a die grinder and used a flat head screw driver to pull them out. No damage done to the alum cover at all, I'm calling this battle a WIN. Thanks again S Carter, I was expecting the worst. Now,, when it goes back together, use the proper screws.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:39 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Lager1
Winner Winner Chicken dinner goes to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Member S Carter... Just cut a slot on the head of the hex head screw head with a die grinder and used a flat head screw driver to pull them out. No damage done to the alum cover at all, I'm calling this battle a WIN. Thanks again S Carter, I was expecting the worst. Now,, when it goes back together, use the proper screws.
Don't forget a tiny bit of grease on the screws when you re install. Next time they will come out like a charm
Old 07-22-2023, 06:25 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

You need to ID the thread of what was used in your car by someone else. Generally speaking if you can purchase the same thread with a head type you'd desire you would just 'chase' the female threads and use that thread. M4 X .7 isn't an easy find but if they are in fact M4 X .7 then you could buy perhaps that thread and use the Torx 'button head'. Are they T20 as mentioned or maybe T15?
Old 07-22-2023, 08:24 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 122 Posts

WVZR-1 My 91 C4 was missing the distributor cover. I checked the holes in the manifold with a M4x0.7 thread gage. Bingo, a perfect fit. I completed my tool and die apprenticeship program and recieved my journeyman's card the summer of 1971. Since I only needed 3 screws, I bought 8-18 stainless steel button allen screws at the local hardware store. I would have bought torx head if the stocked them. Here is a link to McMaster Carr, listing the metric torx button heads they stock. I didn't need a hundred, so I opted for the allen head screws.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sc...d-torx-screws/

Last edited by slammin; 07-22-2023 at 08:26 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-22-2023, 09:02 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 445 Likes on 405 Posts

Another source for the screws, I normally put anti seize on the screws and screw down to just touching and just a little snug up
​​​​​​https://corvetteparts.com/item/screw...sion-1985-1991
Old 07-22-2023, 09:09 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Another source for the screws, I normally put anti seize on the screws and screw down to just touching and just a little snug up
​​​​​​https://corvetteparts.com/item/screw...sion-1985-1991
I'd avoid these until you actually confirm the female thread you're wanting to fit them to. OP mentioned his weren't Torx headed so it's certainly possible you could have 5$ plus the ship $$ invested and then not be able to use them.

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor cover removal ?

Quick Reply: Distributor cover removal ?