C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Odd oil leak out dipstick? Passes leak down and can’t feel blowby

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 09:08 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Odd oil leak out dipstick? Passes leak down and can’t feel blowby

So this is all a relatively new engine that I’ve been struggling with for years to get running right (ms3 unit and I won’t make this about that) but finally was able to start street tuning. But when I get to about 5k rpm just clouds of blue smoke enter the car.

first I thought, oh crap a ring let loose or something. But after looking around I find the dip stick looks soaked with oil and the plug wires around it also. “Maybe it’s from the valve cover? Nope, dry all under that gasket but spray on top of the valve cover edge…”

so I idle it in the garage expecting to have puffs of blowby but nothing after I removed the breather out of the valve cover. I revved up to 5k and absolutely no blowby at all. Hmm. I did a leak down test last time I was driving it and Every cylinder passes. Guess I’ll have to do another now to see if anything changed.

the next thing I need to do is 100% sure it’s not coming from the exhaust but outside the exhaust but I need someone to be able to see the car outside when I accelerate.

I use a Monroso baffled road race pan 7qt. OG dip stick. Sbc 383. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a replacement oil dip stick? I need one anyway. And I was going to double check my valve cover gasket.

also has anyone ever had blow by at load and none at idle/revving in neutral?
Old 04-23-2023, 02:17 AM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Do you have pcv and all the oil breather lines? I deleted that stuff on my first V8 and had similar problems. I figured it was for smog and the engine would run better without.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:07 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by topfuel67
Do you have pcv and all the oil breather lines? I deleted that stuff on my first V8 and had similar problems. I figured it was for smog and the engine would run better without.
I have 2x pcv, one on each valve covers that T together into an oil catch can and then back to the throttle body.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:54 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 570 Posts

I am not an expert and not sure of your years setup. Normal engines have just one PCV. The other valve cover has air feed. I am not sure how this would work with two PCV valves. Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Odd oil leak out dipstick? Passes leak down and can’t feel blowby

Quick Reply: Odd oil leak out dipstick? Passes leak down and can’t feel blowby