C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hold the dealer responsible for opti ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 06:34 PM
johnnyw
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Hold the dealer responsible for opti ?

If you take your vette to a chevy dealer and tell them to do diagnostics on the car. Lets say they come back and say it needs an Opti and wires and so forth. If they do that work and you still have problems wouldn't they be required to fix whatever might be wrong that they did ? Wouldn't that also give you parts and labor warranty on the Opti and so forth ?
Old 03-20-2023, 07:02 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The dealer is supposed to provide the warranty of the.parts sold. OEM parts are a minimum 12 months or 12k. Advisor or manager should be able to provide the warranty terms of any parts installed. Aftermarket or used parts have to be disclosed on invoice along with the warranty that goes with the part. So if you paid for the parts you get the warranty what ever it is. If you don't or you are refunded the money you paid you may not, but it is at the desgession of the dealer. How dealers handle comebacks varies by dealer from free, sharing costs no labor customer buys parts at a discount. AFAIK GM doesn't have a set policy involving customer pay comebacks, other than part failure.

If the car never leaves the shop, then it gets interesting is.it misdiagnosed, defective parts, or are there multiple problems. Dealer can have the new parts removed and old parts re-installed. Then rediagnose concern. Some dealers don't work on cars older than technical assistance will make cases on. Which is 10-15 years old. Because old cars can be troublesome to repair.

Last edited by Kevova; 03-20-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:19 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 319 Likes on 273 Posts

You get a warranty on the opti, but they will still charge you for further work. They will likely say that the opti was bad too. Having a dealer work on a vehicle this old is a crapshoot. Many of the techs were probably not alive when it was manufactured.
The following users liked this post:
Natty C (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:45 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

That's been my experience.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:30 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 168 Posts

I’m shocked a dealer is willing to touch a C4 in 2023!

I’m also not shocked that they’d have no flippin idea how to diagnose/repair it. Fire the parts cannon, say that part was bad too, blame the customer! It’s their probably posted policy.
The following users liked this post:
Natty C (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 06:51 PM
johnnyw
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp

I’m also not shocked that they’d have no flippin idea how to diagnose/repair it. Fire the parts cannon, say that part was bad too, blame the customer! It’s their probably posted policy.
I spoke with the dealership that I had in mind and he confirmed that they will diagnose the car and then warranty the parts and labor for 24 months or 24 thousand miles whichever comes first. He said that they will only warranty the work if they supply the parts and they only use GM original parts or GM certified rebuilt parts. I was told by the service writer that the estimated times were basically 1 to 2 hours diagnostics and 4 hours to replace the opti along with new water pump and plugs and wires. There rate is 145.00 per hour.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:58 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 438 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Originally Posted by jv9999
Having a dealer work on a vehicle this old is a crapshoot. Many of the techs were probably not alive when it was manufactured.
^^^ This ^^^

If you're not gonna do the work or diagnostics yourself, it's best to take it to someone who knows what they're doing with these old cars.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:01 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 438 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Originally Posted by jmgtp

Yep. Pretty much that.

Get notified of new replies

To Hold the dealer responsible for opti ?

Quick Reply: Hold the dealer responsible for opti ?