C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 Corvette very rough ride (like riding on wooden wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 05:34 PM
lt1with_balls
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Corvette very rough ride (like riding on wooden wheels)

I really love the way this car looks but I hate the way it’s treating me right now. Every time I hit a pothole or a dip in the road it’s really loud andPassenger rear tire pulls inward when I hit bumps and debris. It also has something loose with the rear drive shafts like I was told they need new u joints. But it feels like one side is bent ( halfshafts) because it noticably wobbles at 5-10 mph. I know I can let out air pressure out the tires to help the roughness issue.
my main issue is this kill is trying to kill me on the highway, going 65 and letting off, it literally threw me into another persons lane.and accelerating almost threw me off the road…
I don’t want to die🤦🏻‍♂️😆… anybody with the best knowledge, please help 🙏🙏🙏 I still love this car but if heavy rain is present… nope I’m calling in sick that day.
thanks anybody for you experience wise ideas and thoughts to help me out…
Old 11-14-2022, 06:14 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

1. Quit driving it. Put it up on jack stands, Grab the wheel(s) at 6 and 12 and see if there is any significant play in the bearings

If not,

Then take off the wheels and start looking for the bad part. Pushing, pulling, prying, you should be able to find it.

or if you have no mechanical ability,

2. Quit driving it. Take it to a garage.

It could be anyone of the components wore out back there. Most folks don't have x-ray vision to see the car and it is hard to diagnose when it could be any of the rear suspension components.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:15 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 302 Posts

If you know your half shafts are bad you must replace them. They are an *integral* part of the suspension, unlike most cars. If you were to remove one the wheel would rise up and tilt inward as far as it could go.

If truly there is significant half shaft play (and not something else loose) fix it!
Old 11-14-2022, 06:26 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 443 Likes on 403 Posts

Agreed Park It and inspect, as mentioned tug all around the wheel ends then move inward Tie rods ends and middle mount point, camber Cams, look at all the mounting bushings including Batwing mounting.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:32 PM
lt1with_balls
Intermediate

so all those parts you mention are all related to the rough ride like a flint stones mobile?

[

QUOTE=s carter;1605909255]Agreed Park It and inspect, as mentioned tug all around the wheel ends then move inward Tie rods ends and middle mount point, camber Cams, look at all the mounting bushings including Batwing mounting.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-14-2022, 08:46 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 443 Likes on 403 Posts

Is the rough ride is it a new development in a car that you have been driving for months+ and now ride quality is Now Out the door. Really Dead shocks makes it much easier to hit bump stops and can greatly effect handling. All the parts suggesting to check are the things that could allow wheel geometry too wonder
Old 11-14-2022, 09:40 PM
lt1with_balls
Intermediate

well said carter.

The shocks don’t look very healthy. Old as the car. And I will fiddle around with all the other stuff too👍
Originally Posted by s carter
Is the rough ride is it a new development in a car that you have been driving for months+ and now ride quality is Now Out the door. Really Dead shocks makes it much easier to hit bump stops and can greatly effect handling. All the parts suggesting to check are the things that could allow wheel geometry too wonder
Old 11-27-2022, 11:16 AM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
1. Quit driving it. Put it up on jack stands, Grab the wheel(s) at 6 and 12 and see if there is any significant play in the bearings

If not,

Then take off the wheels and start looking for the bad part. Pushing, pulling, prying, you should be able to find it..
I will add: Once you get it solidly in the air, make sure the transmission is in neutral. If the trans is in gear/park that can hold against a worn U-joint and make it hard to find a loose/bad one. I would also highly suggest a helper to rock the wheel at 6:-12:00 and 3:-9:00 while you observe the suspension pivot points, tie rod ends, and hub wheel bearings. The lane changing issue could be a worn suspension part, incorrect alignment, or even a road with groves worn in by heavy trucks (wide tires are particularly affected by this).

Old 11-27-2022, 01:27 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

These are not new cars anymore. For issues like what's been described, there are a number of things that could be the cause so go through it thoroughly. Check the hubs, u-joints, bushings for starters. Assuming you can do the work yourself, that's not a large investment to replace them and should definitely improve the handling of the car.
Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 Corvette very rough ride (like riding on wooden wheels)

Quick Reply: 94 Corvette very rough ride (like riding on wooden wheels)