C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Will a chip fix my bad emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:42 AM
R Cook 92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a chip fix my bad emissions?

Took the IL test, failed. I have partially burned fuel, and unburned fuel... I'm going to blame my hot cam... BUT, I've a stock chip, so what are your thoughts on weather a chip will fix my problem... it didn't fail by much, but I've heard the cam with stock programming will run rich at idle, and I can definately smell it during the warm up... So what do you think...? also if I get a chip, should I tell them to 'make it pass emissions'...??? any one with answers or comments please help, I'm mixed on what to do here...
Old 01-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Wildride
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Will a chip fix my bad emissions? (R Cook 92)

Could be a number of things causing the problem. Injectors, timing, egr valve, etc, etc, etc.

I would put the car on a "scanner" and try to isolate the problem that way. If it is the cam, a custom chip might solve the problem. Note: I said a custom chip, not an aftermarket chip. There is a big difference! The aftermarkets are just taking a guess at what the is needed. A custom chip may take several burns to get it "right".

If you don't have access to a scanner try the following site:
http://moates.net/gmecm/index.html

Craig Moates has a nice free package that works great.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:32 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,405 Likes on 1,020 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

With a custom chip, they can detune it to pass emissions. http://www.fastchip.com

[Modified by vader86, 8:32 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:50 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Will a chip fix my bad emissions? (vader86)

I looked at their site, What difference does their chip make over say hypertech? Even thought they ask for the PROM id doensn't mean they hit on the head with all the mods that I've done, I also don't under stand how that may help his emissions issues. Aren't they just guessing too?
Old 01-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Will a chip fix my bad emissions? (kittmaster)

I looked at their site, What difference does their chip make over say hypertech? Even thought they ask for the PROM id doensn't mean they hit on the head with all the mods that I've done, I also don't under stand how that may help his emissions issues. Aren't they just guessing too?
Ed Wright at Fastchip will take down your relavent information that you are running in your application. Taking that info and (my guess) his experience and a database of other like modded cars give you a chip that is pretty close. Sure, more fine tuning may be in order for the best performance, but you'll get a better "tuned" chip this way. Hypertech only leans out WOT and adjusts some timing advance. A fan temp is included there as well. These are easy mods that one can do without much trouble. Tuning for part throttle is where the real benefits come from. How much part throttle driving do you do and how much WOT driving do you do. I'm not going to tune my car for 1% of operations, I'm going to tune it for the other 99%. With the Moates adapter I just burn a 1% chip and install that one at the track. :D Install the emissions chip during those times as well.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:17 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,405 Likes on 1,020 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Will a chip fix my bad emissions? (kittmaster)

Ed Wright has done a million chips, and knows how to program them to pass emissions. Unless you can find someone local and cheaper, i would go to him.

Call him and ask him yourself.

Hypertech=hypercrap, NEVER buy a hypertech chip, they dont do a damn thing.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Will a chip fix my bad emissions? (vader86)

Ed Wright has done a million chips, and knows how to program them to pass emissions. Unless you can find someone local and cheaper, i would go to him.

Call him and ask him yourself.

Hypertech=hypercrap, NEVER buy a hypertech chip, they dont do a damn thing.
hey....for the $30 i spent on mine, it sure does a good job at turning the fans on earlier to accomodate my 160 T-Stat! :p:
Old 01-09-2003, 01:31 PM
SLO19vette91
Intermediate

That dude Ed Wright made a huge impact on the performance of my car. I had to go up to school without the vette, and the next day my dad gets the chip in and tells me it made a WORLD of difference. Ed is quick to get your chip burned and he'll make sure he gets it right. A few guys on here have said they have given it back to Ed as many as 3 times to get it perfect, each time being better than the time before. Not only that but fuel seams to burn better with this guys chip.
Now, I have a rebuilt 355 with the ZZ9, edelbrock performer heads, crane rockers and a rebuilt Raptor Jr. 700r4 and I needed the chip desperately. Big idle problems on cold starts and frequent pinging if temp got too hot. Since the chip has been in, NO idle problems, and the car hasn't even heated up to 180 (I got a 160 stat). My dad got stuck in the horrible I-15 traffic down here in San Diego for 2 hours...NEVER HEATED UP....

Food for thought

BTW...I had the Hypertech street runner in there before and it really didn't do much of anything. If you have small bolt-ons and don't intend on pulling valve covers, rebuilt, or new intake....it wouldn't be a bad investment.

Old 01-10-2003, 12:33 AM
R Cook 92
Instructor

Default Re: Will a chip fix my bad emissions? (SLO19vette91)

I certainly wasn't thinking of the hypertech, but I'm a little weary on spending $400+ for a chip that pretty much just gets me through emissions... Will the chip that I actually need to run the best, also pass emissions? or will I need 2 seperate chips... I have been holding off on buying one until I can figure this out... I want a chip to make the car run at 100% of its potential, but will that burn pass emissions too? I'll shot Ed Wright an e-mail, and see what he says... has anyone ran into this particular delima before, if so, what was the outcome...???
Old 01-10-2003, 09:40 AM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a scanner on that ecm and see what's up before throwing money at mail order chips.

What were the emission numbers / target for HC, CO2, CO and NOx? Was this done on a treadmill or just a sniff at idle?

Is the system going into closed loop?

What other mods beside the cam? Adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Headers? Any other gizmo's?

Good Luck

Pete
Old 01-11-2003, 06:09 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you considered http://www.pcmforless.com They told me that there was no guarentee that a off road cam could be tuned to be emissions legal, but they felt confident that they could clean it up considerably. I have no experience with them, but I have heard others say good things about them. I think the quote was $150.00 for a chip.

Get notified of new replies

To Will a chip fix my bad emissions?

Quick Reply: Will a chip fix my bad emissions?