C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 08:08 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Default High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ?

I'm curious if these "high performance" ignition modules sold by Ecklers/MAD actually do anything for performance. It probably couldn't hurt to replace the stock module which is 16 years old, but for $80? Seems like a nice compliment to my Hypertech cap/rotor/coil kit though. Any thoughts?

:flag
Old 01-08-2003, 08:26 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ?

I have to say it's a worthy mod. I had an ignition mis-fire I could NOT find for the life of me. It turned out to be the module(wires we're all corroded and such) I went with the holley anhialator. Well worth it,and easy to install.

You won't be sorry. Why not toss on a hypertech coil and cap(get a GM rotor with steel screws, the hypertech unit with nylon screws ALWAYS back out).

:cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 08:43 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ? (FlyboyZR1)

dont but it from ecklers or mad, you can find them cheaper. ecklers and mad believe in a corvette luxury tax. try these guys. this is where i will order mine when the time comes.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/accessories.htm
Old 01-08-2003, 10:42 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any personal experience with the aftermarket modules, but unless it's actually changing the timing advance (which I believe the ECM does anyway), it's a waste of money to change a non-damaged Ignition Module. It's also a waste of money to put high performance coils on the car....especially if you're still running the stock transistorized ignition system. If you change to an MSD ignition system (ignition box, not just their HEI coil-in-cap coil) you are pretty much stuck with buying the higher voltage coils. But the one VERY common misconception is that higher voltage coils will produce better combustion, hotter spark, etc, etc....they don't. You can help your spark with low resistance plug wires, but a high voltage coil is a waste of money.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:51 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

My car "felt" the same with all of the following...

1. Stock GM module
2. Accel Module
3. Cheapo Wells Module

That being said I now have the MSD Digital 6+ which bypasses the module and only uses it as a crank trigger.

If you want to get more spark to your cylinders you have to do what Z51Racer said. You have to lower the resistance all the way from the coil to the plugs. The stock HEI bushing is a high resistance bushing and can be replaced with an MSD low resistance bushing for $11. That combined with better plug wires and possibly a more powerful coil should help you get a more complete burn.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:14 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Default Re: (scorp508)

Here's the engineering behind why the coil doesn't matter....(Long engineering crap...read at your own risk of boredom)

When the contacts on the cap and rotor of the distributor come in contact, energy flows to the plug through the wire. The voltage then builds at the spark plug until enough voltage is present to ionize the air/fuel mixture in the spark plug's gap. Once the gas is ionized, this effectively creates a short circuit, and the voltage at the plug goes to zero, but current flows across the gap....the current flow is the spark you see. As soon the energy of the ignition system is dissipated, the spark goes out. BUT, since the voltage *builds* at the plug, instead of being delivered to the plug all in one shot, the amount of voltage the spark plug sees is determined ONLY by the ionization voltage of the air/fuel charge, not the coil.

If desired, I can explain why GM HEI systems are worthless above 6000 rpm, and the differences between the HEI system (transistorized) and an MSD system (capacitive discharge)

Oh, and if I didn't explain this very well (which is entirely likely as I've had a long day), please say so and I will endeavor to try again.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:22 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The ignition module is a power transistor that switches the primary of the spark coil to ground (the other side of the primary goes to 12v) for a duration and at the time directed by the pickup coil and the ECM. There is no way an aftermarket module can do that job any differently than the stock module. The only enhancement I can think of would be to use a power MOSFET transistor instead of a bipolar transistor (that is if GM isn't already using a MOSFET). This would reduce the "on" voltage across the transistor and allow an additional 0.3 volts across the spark coil primary, an insignificant difference!
NEVER underestimate the power of advertising! The only enhancement I can see in aftermarket ign modules is to their bottom line.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:28 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Default Re: High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ? (jfb)

I do believe that GM is using MOSFET, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Oh, and the one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post about how ignition systems work, is that the reason why low impedance plug wires help is because they allow for higher current flow AFTER the spark has initiated. The higher current will allow for a hotter spark, but like I said before, the voltage isn't determined at all by the ignition system (for a transistorized system)
Old 01-09-2003, 08:14 AM
The Dingo
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17, '22

Default Re: High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ? (VetteNoob)

I've got one on my car. The idle improved but I also changed a few other ignition bits at the same time so I have no conclusive proof of an improvement that is directly attributable to the module.

However, if you do change it listen to this man:

dont but it from ecklers or mad, you can find them cheaper. ecklers and mad believe in a corvette luxury tax. try these guys. this is where i will order mine when the time comes.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/accessories.htm
:iagree: I bought mine for something like $50USD direct from Performance Distributors instead of the $80ish USD Ecklers or MAD would have gouged me for.

[Modified by Red 90 L98 Coupe, 11:15 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 12:42 PM
kaiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ? (Red 90 L98 Coupe)

Some ignition design references were posted here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=419893

Old 01-09-2003, 01:00 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ? (kaiser)

I believe JD and I have the same setup :D
Holley Annihilator HEI Module
Hypertech Power Coil kit
MSD Superconductor 8.5mm Wires
AC Delco Rapidfire #5 plugs with Cutback Electrodes
FWIW, I did this all at once, and it just *felt* like it ran better. ::shrugs::
Old 01-09-2003, 03:00 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ? (Red 90 L98 Coupe)

Yep looks like performance distributors has the best price. They e-mailed me saying "The 7 pin Dyna Mod will help improve your performance over the stock module due to the increased dwell time the Dyna Mod has. The extra dwell allows the coil to produce a longer duration spark which will improve throttle response and low end power"

Maybe it's worth it, maybe it's not.......but for $50 it surely can't hurt. Now the question is whether to get the Holley or the Dyna-mod :)

[Modified by FlyboyZR1, 2:03 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 05:14 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Actually, if they are lengthening the dwell time, it will hurt the spark energy at high rpms, as the magnetic field around the primary coil will not have enough time to develop. The longer the dwell time, the lower the rpm potential of the ignition system. I can explain in more detail if desired.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:19 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I'm using one in my '84....seems to work fine with no problems....
I feel its a good mod/replacement......can't hurt you...except for the $$$$, and time to install....watch your dist. wiring going to the module....they recomend replaceing this pigtail after 50k mile...which I did...
Good Luck.
tony
:thumbs: :steering: :thumbs:
Old 01-10-2003, 08:04 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Default Re: High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ? (CorvetteZ51Racer)

Have to agree with Z51Racer. I will be replacing my 112K module with a bone stock one. I followed a thread several months ago in the Engine Mod forum and something I picked up there is when folks replaced their stock module with an aftermarket one, they also put new cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, etc and attributed the "gains" to the new module. Even with stock when this is done you will feel gains. I've tried 'electronic ignition' parts from aftermarket in the past and while it was a good long time ago, the life of the parts was not good. I'll have to remember about the MSD button though. I also replaced both terminal blocks in the distributor.

Get notified of new replies

To High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ?

Quick Reply: High-Perf Ignition Module - Yay/Nay ?