C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 Headlight motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 06:01 PM
liam461
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Headlight motor issue

Hi All,
My right headlight motor is not working. It doesn't seem to be getting any voltage. There is power coming to the connection clip (pictured). Wires have since been spliced and taped. The voltage tester shows current going to the Grey wire but not the Green wire. All four prongs ( 2 Grey, 2 Green ) from the module in the left wheel well are showing volts but the green wire at the right clip (pictured) connection is not showing voltage. (should it have a current?) The motor was replaced but there is still no power apparently going to it. The Left light and motor work fine and the Right light works also, just no motor power. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

e would be appreciated.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:45 PM
liam461
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE. After repairing the relay connection ( tape ) I jumped the R. headlight motor to the left relay to assure that the motor was indeed working properly. It was. So, knowing that the motor is working and that I was getting a current at the Right Motor relay connection, I can't understand why the motor is not working at all.
Any Help Would Be Appreciated.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:19 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Grn wire: open-0V; close-12V
Gry wire: open-12V, close-0V

Compare with volts to L HL. Also check volts at connectors on the HL Control unit.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:45 AM
Vets-Vet
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 163 Posts

One thing I learned the hard way on my C4 was that a burned relay / bad wire connection can support the tiny amount of voltage/current for a digital multimeter but not enough to operate the system. Today's multimeters tend to sample the voltage rather than use it to drive the meter. I to had voltage and ground but no movement, I jumped voltage and ground from the battery and had movement, I was stumped. So I soldered a couple of wires to an 1157 type light bulb to see how bright it was directly on the battery vs at the connector, the connector didn't even light the bulb yet there was 12V at the connector according to the digital multimeter. My headlights had 2 problems, bad relays and limit switch contacts. I am not sure if your 89 uses the in motor mechanical limit switches or the newer modules, but just know burned relay contacts can pass enough for a digital meter but not enough for the motor. Some of the original relays that were in my car were actually capable of being opened and inspected.

Last edited by Vets-Vet; 10-25-2022 at 08:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
liam461 (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 05:20 PM
liam461
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your help with how the volts should read. I'll check this. I have ordered a replacement headlight module ( used ).
Old 10-24-2022, 10:54 PM
liam461
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, Thanks for your post. I would have never thought of the voltage issue

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Headlight motor issue

Quick Reply: 1989 Headlight motor issue