C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 06:24 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc?

Okay, so I come home today and my wet nitrous system has finally arrived. (Thanks, MrNuke!) Anyway, in the thirst for even more horsepower I was looking at a Hotcam kit. Right now I am sitting around 276rwhp, and I was wondering what kind of gains I can expect from the following mods:

Meziere water pump
LT4 Hotcam
1.6 Roller rockers
reprogrammed ECM
dyno tuning

Then of course, the 100hp wet shot on top of all that.
Anyone know what kind of power I'd be putting down N/A? Approximate 1/4 times? Any personal experience/guesses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc? (stormy652)

When I installed my Hot Cam I did the roller rockers and water pump at the same time. I went from 270 rwhp to 313 rwhp, that was on full stock exhaust. I was using an Ed Wright custom tune but it wasn't perfect because it wasn't dialed in on a dyno. 44 hp to the wheels isn't too bad for a cam swap!

Then to really spice it up you throw in some long tube headers and you'll add 23 more hp, but more fun you'll add 32 pounds of torque. Get some cylinder heads and you can add another 30 hp on the top end. :cheers:

What I'm not sure about is the nitrous system then. The cam makes more power because it allows more air and fuel, effectively increasing your cylinder pressures. There is a limit on what the stock pistons can handle.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:36 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc? (Nathan Plemons)

Hmmm, that is interesting. I was considering the idea because I could get the Hotcam kit for a fairly good price (slightly under $500) and if I was going to have the opti and water pump changed to 95, 96 and meziere models, it would be an opportune time for a cam swap. I have very little mechanical experience and, frankly, I would not trust myself to do the job properly.

On the other hand, Hooker long-tube headers sound more and more like a great idea. They'd cost a little more than a Hotcam kit, but far less after installation costs are considered. It may even be an installation I'd tackle myself, with help from some of my neighbors tools. :lol: I recall you saying that it was the best bang-for-the-buck mod, and 23hp and 32lb-ft of torque is very impressive! If you dont mind me asking, where did you buy your Hookers, and how much did it set you back? If you installed it yourself, how would you rate the difficulty of doing so? Thanks
Old 01-07-2003, 09:37 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If emissions are not a problem in your area then I would highly recommend the headers. They give a nice power gain and really clean up the engine compartment because you can ditch all of the AIR and EGR plumbing. I bought my headers from Speed Demon Motorsports. They have a local company do the coating which I have been very pleased with. Most header coatings start to fail within a week. I've been running these headers for over a year and they look a little dirtier than they did when I put them on but the coating is still intact. I drive it every day as well so they've seen rain, snow and salt.

Installation is very straightforward, it actually takes longer to get the old manifolds out of the way than it does to install the headers. You do have to get your cat-back modified so it will bolt up, but that's no big deal. I had a local shop ditch the resonator and fabricate an X-pipe at the same time for $100. If you don't already have them you will want to convert to heated O2 sensors as well. Oh yeah, you'll want to turn the motor mount bolts around, but no big deal there either.

Something to consider, I got 23hp and 32 pounds of torque AFTER I already had the cam. Logic only tells me that a stock motor wouldn't see quite that much of a gain. You'll probably see a fair gain and then on nitrous it will really help, but I wouldn't expect a huge gain N/A. The best thing about the headers that I felt was the torque, I'm not sure though if you will get the same results on a stock cam. Honestly if you want a very fast seat of the pants car then you want both. If you spray mildly you should still be alright. Look at some dyno graphs here.

This is my stock dyno. Typical LT1, should look a lot like yours. Good and flat torque curve, you can't really be in the wrong gear.

Here now is after the Hot Cam. It's kind of hard to see but notice how the torque curve is still very flat, has a small crown to it. Essentially it's just a little higher and it extends the power band higher into the RPM's because of the new rev limiter. It was fun, it sure makes more power but it's not really a huge amount on the butt-o-meter.

Now this one is a little harder to see, but this is after the headers. Notice how the torque curve isn't any lower in the low RPM's but jumps up abruptly. That's what really sets you back and gives you the seat of the pants feeling.

Then finally after the cylinder heads. Notice how the torque curve is at no point lower than it was without the heads. It is a little higher at the bottom end, moving up to about the same peak in the mid revs but then most importantly you'll notice it falls off a LOT slower with the higher RPM's. This is what contributes to the higher HP. Seat of the pants wise this gave a little more off idle feeling and just a whole lot of go. It doesn't really feel a lot different other than it just doesn't run out of power. By that time you've already been set back in your seat so you don't feel it as much even though the car continues to pull really hard.

So really the heads don't contribute much to the seat of the pants feeling, rather they just keep the car pulling hard in the upper RPM's. Your nitrous could do the same effect if you keep it mild. For the best feeling N/A go for the cam AND headers, then just use your nitrous for a little more kick in the higher revs.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:47 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Adding just the hot cam kit and having my heads ported and polished made my LT-1 feel like it had 32valves and DOHC (this is breathing through stock exhaust manifolds). I suddenly found myself with an extra 1000 RPM that I was still makng power with (instead of wanting to shift at 5000, it winds out to 6000).

Adding long tube headers (and ditching the cats but still on a full stock catback exhaust) turned the car into a go-sideways-when you nail it in 1st gear beast, sorry i dont have any drag times since i added long tube headers, but i do have dyno numbers 344 rwHP and 353 rwTQ with stock mufflers!

Thats my opinion.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:38 PM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you know what you're getting into? :confused:

Ever hear: "You'll shoot yer eye out kid!"? :smash:

Just kidding ya bro! :lol: :lol: :jester :jester

I see you have 65+ more rwhp than I had when stock. Get ready to hang on because that set-up will give you some serious gains. I'd say w/ the 100 shot you'll be riding the 400 rwhp line. :cheers: I've had high 12 second Camaro/Firebird owners tell me my car is on par with them and I'm not done tuning yet. :D
Old 01-15-2003, 04:22 PM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc? (War Machine)

what do people already starting out with the LT4 end up with power wise when they add the hotcam?
Old 01-15-2003, 07:29 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc? (1996man)

25-30 rwhp
Old 01-17-2003, 05:00 PM
dscottr
Racer

Default Re: What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc? (ericcer)

The Hot cam didn't seem to do much for my car, and cost me a ton to get installed. My most bang for the buck, was the torque converter. My average E.T. improved approx .2 with hot cam and roller rockers, but my best E.T. was the same. A little cooler weather and the torque converter, knocked almost a half second of my time - even with wasted GSC tires.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:35 AM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc? (dscottr)

This will give you an visual idea of the gains. Before I did my hotcam and LT headers I raced my friend with a 2002 WS6 T/A 6-speed. It was only a 20-80mph run or so but you can see that the mods helped out.
Here is my LT4 with 3.91 gears, K&N, open air lid, ED Wright program. http://corvette.flmisfits.com/images...Beforemods.mpg

This one below is with eveything in my signature except the new clutch. http://corvette.flmisfits.com/images..._aftermods.mpg

Get notified of new replies

To What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc?

Quick Reply: What perf gains can I expect from LT4 Hotcam+etc?