C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help with intake manifold removal 91

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 09:43 PM
sheriffjim
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Need help with intake manifold removal 91

I'm preparing to replace my intake manifold gaskets on my 91 corvette, and am looking for tips. I read some other forums and heard people talk about using RTV, and sealing block ends before putting the manifold back on. I can't really find any videos or other source on how exactly to do that (where to put RTV, how to seal block ends), and was hoping someone here could help me. Also what's the best way to make sure the distributor goes in the same way it came out? Any other advice or tips is much appreciated as well.

I do have a FSM to help me with torque and patterning the bolts on the manifold, as well as specific steps, but it also didn't mention block ends or RTV which is my main concern.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:30 PM
ajp01
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 237 Posts

This should help you -

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-replace.html
Old 05-18-2022, 10:34 PM
sheriffjim
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

That is very helpful thank you.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:38 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Before applying RTV to the china walls roughen them with coarse sandpaper as well as the mating surfaces under the intake base. Clean the mating surfaces of any debris and oils. Lay down two strips of RTV onto each china wall. Also use a thin coat of RTV around any water passage holes in the gaskets.

After just a few minutes carefully lower the intake base directly down onto the heads, with no lateral movement. Then snug up the bolts, taking them to full torque (per directions in your FSM).

Walk away for at least 24hrs to allow the RTV to set completely.

When I did this job, >25yrs ago, Fel Pro was the best gasket set; only use the best here.

As for the distributor...hopefully you took pics of orientations at each stage of removal...
In the 'ole days" I put a mark on intake base and on the dist. shell. Once the cap had been removed, I marked the position of the rotor on the base, lifted out the distributor and put another mark on the base so I would know the starting position before reinsertion.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:04 AM
ajp01
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 237 Posts

Example; black line on rotor parallel to the firewall rubber gasket. Back edge of distributor metal body black line even with the black line on the rotor.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with intake manifold removal 91

Quick Reply: Need help with intake manifold removal 91