C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear hubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 06:04 PM
Bribr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hubs

Who makes the strongest hubs ?
Old 03-20-2022, 07:39 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

I put moogs in the back of my 1991. Said made in USA on the box.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:43 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

All of them are weak. The cheap ones last just as long as the more $$$ ones in my experience.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:15 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

I think it is hit or miss with any brand. Most are made overseas now.

If you can find a made in USA one, I think it may have a better chance of being a good one, but it is hard to know which ones are made here.

I have tried several rear hubs on my C4's. I changed them on my '88, '94, '95, '96,

The first set I got at the local parts store (I don't remember the brand.) They failed in about 20k miles on my '94.

I decided to try the cheapo ones. Either they would work, or I would have to change them out again (which might waste 2 or 3 hours), but for the price difference I went ahead with them.

I have had good luck with them. I used Precision, National, a no name box, L&S. Prices were as low as $23. The Precision, National and the no name all came with markings made in USA. I think the L&S were somewhere else but not China. I treat them as expendable wear items and I have chosen to go with the cheapest ones and change them out if needed. It only takes a couple hours to swap them, so to me it is gamble whatever you buy and I'll change them out again if needed.

I have had some that were 30 years old and still were fine. I have also had some originals that were bad at 40k miles. I had one that I replaced that only lasted about a year and 20k miles. If you do a lot of hard cornering, the rears tend to fail quicker. In short, you take your chances whether they are the originals or replacements. Most replacements are made in china and of suspect quality.

My current '95 has been running $25 ones for about 5 years now and still good. My current '96 has been running the cheap ones too and it still good after about 4 years now. The '94 I used to have had expensive ones that failed after about 1 to 1.5 years, then the cheapies lasted about 3 years until I sold that car.

I think it is a risk for getting good ones regardless of what brand you get.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2022, 09:05 PM
Whrabbit
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hubs

I bought the best NAPA ones they had. they told me they were made in the USA but when I picked up the hubs the box said made in China. We’ll see as I just cruise in the car no track days.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear hubs

Quick Reply: Rear hubs