C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Seatbelt recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 03:18 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default C4 Seatbelt recall?

My belts keep locking up which I feel is a serious safety issue. Reading on the forums I’ve seen multiple claims that there is a service bulletin and should be fixed under warranty. Two dealerships have told me this isn’t true-are they full of crap or am I wrong?

Here’s what I found on the forums:

Old 03-17-2022, 04:36 PM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

The dealers aren't actually GM, they're franchises. You should be able to call GM direct and inquire. I had contacted them in the past about an issue I was having with my Avalanche that the dealer wouldn't fix under warranty. The number should be in your owner's manual or available online.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (03-20-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 05:04 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

If it had been performed previously for either side or both (maybe) the GM VISS (Vehicle Information Service System) would have removed the VIN from the system so they're maybe 'not full of crap'. I have a copy of I believe both side of the campaigns and actually all of production 1984 through end of 1991 was included in those 2 campaigns.

A Dealer if you give them a GM Document ID might be better able to answer your question. Document ID I have as 274182 & 274183 - I don't know that the system has or hasn't changed in the past 10 or so years but my information is likely 10+ years old. Those Campaigns I have Dated as Oct 1991.

I have seen mentioned here on the CF where people have bought the aftermarket offerings and have been reimbursed by GM if GM couldn't provide belts. I would imagine for that to work you'd need to first if your VIN could be documented give GM the opportunity to research availability and maybe after you presented a vehicle with them installed they might reimburse a portion of the part cost. If they can supply 'any color' that might likely be considered sufficient.

Good Luck with the conversation.

***On your belts there's very likely a label with information on it that might ID what's there now.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-17-2022 at 05:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WVZR-1:
Bfenty (03-20-2022), Red86Z51 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 11:50 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If you can't get satisfaction from GM you can send your belts out to these guys. I have dealt with them before, very fast turnaround times and reasonable prices.
Seat Belt Repair Service & Airbag Reset | Safety Restore - Safety
Bfenty (03-20-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 03:19 AM
Natty C
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 438 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

The seatbelts recall on my '90 hasn't yet been rectified either.

I had thought about just driving it over to the original dealership that received the car as it's only about 90 miles away. Plus it'd be a fun cruise over the Bay Bridge.

It'd be a total waste of a trip, most likely, aside from what would be a most excellent cruise. But they've won the GM dealership of the year a few times, so who knows. They've been around for a long time.

I have a feeling I'll be replacing the seatbelts myself, though.

They do still have the means to duplicate original ignition keys, because I talked to them about it a while back. I should have asked about the seatbelts, but it was just the parts counter guy, who even knows if they have anyone in there who knows how to work on these cars any more anyway.

Last edited by Natty C; 03-18-2022 at 03:24 AM.
Bfenty (03-20-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 05:55 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

I got my belts replaced under the recall over a decade ago. Though the dealer had to see the belts actually locking up before they'd process the recall claim. Luckily the belt locked up when I showed them as it wasn't something that happened all the time. And luckily they were able to find black belts as they had to do a lot of searching as even a decade ago, there weren't many new belts still available. Not sure if they were black, or if they dyed them black. As the driver belt over the years has taken on a slight bluish hue, and the passenger belt has taken on a slight reddish hue.

I don't know if GM changed something on the belts, but the new belts pretty much stopped the lockup problem 99% of the time. I doubt you'll be able to find new belts as the dealer had to do a lot of searching over a decade ago and made it seemed like my belts were one of the last available.
Bfenty (03-20-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 555 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
My belts keep locking up which I feel is a serious safety issue. Reading on the forums I’ve seen multiple claims that there is a service bulletin and should be fixed under warranty. Two dealerships have told me this isn’t true-are they full of crap or am I wrong?

Here’s what I found on the forums:

what do you mean by locking up?
Old 03-18-2022, 02:50 PM
ajp01
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 238 Posts

There was a problem with the retractor mechanism / cinch feature where the tensioner would effectively stop working right. Had to do with the retractor mechanism itself, not the belt per se, and I remember it well because the recall affected my car. I do remember GM replacing mine. If you car has the issue, the belts tension erratically or lock and stop tensioning at all.
Bfenty (03-20-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 03:08 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 526 Likes on 316 Posts

you aren't hitting the cinch button by chance are you? stupid question but the behavior sounds like that could be the case.

As for the recall... I believe the manufacturer only has to honor that for 8 years... So GM might have just purged the data once the time limit was up
Old 03-18-2022, 06:23 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If it had been performed previously for either side or both (maybe) the GM VISS (Vehicle Information Service System) would have removed the VIN from the system so they're maybe 'not full of crap'. I have a copy of I believe both side of the campaigns and actually all of production 1984 through end of 1991 was included in those 2 campaigns.

A Dealer if you give them a GM Document ID might be better able to answer your question. Document ID I have as 274182 & 274183 - I don't know that the system has or hasn't changed in the past 10 or so years but my information is likely 10+ years old. Those Campaigns I have Dated as Oct 1991.

I have seen mentioned here on the CF where people have bought the aftermarket offerings and have been reimbursed by GM if GM couldn't provide belts. I would imagine for that to work you'd need to first if your VIN could be documented give GM the opportunity to research availability and maybe after you presented a vehicle with them installed they might reimburse a portion of the part cost. If they can supply 'any color' that might likely be considered sufficient.

***On your belts there's very likely a label with information on it that might ID what's there now.
I am one such example. My seat belts were locked up in my 1987. I had copies of the campaigns and took them (and my car) to my local dealer. The dealer checked their system and could find no info of any warranty parts replacements for my VIN. The service manager then contacted GM, who ultimately approved the replacement. There was a stumbling block through, it was that that there were no red belts in GM stock for my car. So to honor the campaign, the dealer agreed to pay for replacements of my choice, from a supplier of my choice, which they would pay for, and gave me the option of the dealer installing the belts at no charge, or my installing them myself. The whole process from start to finish took about 3 weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red86Z51:
Bfenty (03-20-2022), WVZR-1 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Do you happen to have the actual documents that I could print and take in? The IDs got me nowhere on the phone.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help. I'm tired of this and I don't want the car to be unsafe. I'm specifically having an issue where the belt either gets stuck and can't be pulled out, or has slack and gets stuck and won't retract. I know I could potentially replace them myself, but I'd really prefer the dealership do it both for safety and cost.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:21 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

Whatever the lockup problem with the belts was, did GM ever actually fix that issue inside the mechanism? Or was it some tolerance issue that they tightened up later on. I know the replacement belts I got like a decade ago, the problem was mostly fixed. Except every once in a blue moon it would lock up and I'd then have to retract it all the way and try again.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:39 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Do you happen to have the actual documents that I could print and take in? The IDs got me nowhere on the phone.
The telephone works to tell the 'wife' you're late and on the way!

I believe I have the document.

Walking in with an 'attitude' ain't going to improve your situation. Do you know anyone at the dealer?
Old 03-20-2022, 02:23 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Thanks everyone for the advice and help. I'm tired of this and I don't want the car to be unsafe. I'm specifically having an issue where the belt either gets stuck and can't be pulled out, or has slack and gets stuck and won't retract. I know I could potentially replace them myself, but I'd really prefer the dealership do it both for safety and cost.
As a matter of fact, I do. It's the original 60 page letter that GM sent to all of the dealers back in 1991. If you shoot me a PM with your email address I'll forward it to you. It's the exact document I used to get my belts replaced.

WVZR-1 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 08:06 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

The telephone works to tell the 'wife' you're late and on the way!

I believe I have the document.

Walking in with an 'attitude' ain't going to improve your situation. Do you know anyone at the dealer?
Yeah I don't want to have an attitude just have a document to show I'm notncrazy.
WVZR-1 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 08:22 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Yeah I don't want to have an attitude just have a document to show I'm notncrazy.
You got the information @Red86Z51 offered you? That and the document #(s) that I mentioned should get you everything you need. I have but you shouldn't need.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:30 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

You got the information @Red86Z51 offered you? That and the document #(s) that I mentioned should get you everything you need. I have but you shouldn't need.
I don't have the docs yet but I JUST sent him my email 5 minutes ago. If you have and want to send that would also be great.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Seatbelt recall?

Old 03-20-2022, 08:42 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah these are 30 year old cars. Being nice is a given, they don't have to help you nor are they under any obligation at this point.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:04 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Yeah these are 30 year old cars. Being nice is a given, they don't have to help you nor are they under any obligation at this point.
I thought safety recalls had no expiration date ?
Old 03-20-2022, 09:11 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...print-508.html

Quick Reply: C4 Seatbelt recall?