C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Test a spark plug after a drop?!!!????!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 08:18 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Test a spark plug after a drop?!!!????!!!!

My assistant was helping me and dropped a box of spark plugs on the floor (assistant is 5).

the plugs are the tr55gp.

nothing looks cracked. Nothing rattles. Can I do an ohm check with this style plug and get a good reading?

many thanks everyone for the tips and help before I change the plugs and wires
Old 02-23-2022, 08:43 PM
SloJo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

The best test is to install it and see how it works. I would put it where it's easy to change if you have a miss. Start it up with the lights out after dark and look for arching in case the porcelain is broken.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:43 PM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

In aviation maintenance there is a saying that if you drop a spark plug once, you should drop it twice, the second time being into a trash can (and those plugs cost anywhere from 5-10 times as much as an auto plug). Plugs are quite susceptible to shock damage, which may not be immediately apparent. Depending on the internal design, the resistance may check out OK, even with significant damage. Up to you as to how to approach, the consequences of an initially undiscovered spark plug fault in an auto are significantly less than in the aircraft application.
The following users liked this post:
googliamoog (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 01:39 PM
googliamoog
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

it's been a minute since i was tangent to aviation, but i can 100% confirm this saying and fully support the information provided in the follow up.

as for the assistant...think maybe he can be given some leeway. surely more spark plugs won't bust the cookie budget.

Originally Posted by NavAir
In aviation maintenance there is a saying that if you drop a spark plug once, you should drop it twice, the second time being into a trash can (and those plugs cost anywhere from 5-10 times as much as an auto plug). Plugs are quite susceptible to shock damage, which may not be immediately apparent. Depending on the internal design, the resistance may check out OK, even with significant damage. Up to you as to how to approach, the consequences of an initially undiscovered spark plug fault in an auto are significantly less than in the aircraft application.

Last edited by googliamoog; 02-24-2022 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ajp01 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:23 PM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 221 Posts

Don’t take any chances and get new plugs. Certainly worth the cost.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:08 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I think everyone is right and a new box is in order. I wasn’t hard on the helper for the record. They knew they did wrong and apologized a thousand times.

On another note my email stated that the wrong plugs were purchased but the post is missing is this the right plug for a 95 Lt1???

Get notified of new replies

To Test a spark plug after a drop?!!!????!!!!

Quick Reply: Test a spark plug after a drop?!!!????!!!!