C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 07:08 PM
johnfin
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Default 1985 Exhaust manifolds

Is this what the original exhaust manifolds look like?
Old 11-25-2021, 10:13 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnfin
Is this what the original exhaust manifolds look like?
We’ll…..yes & no. They were stock, but the smog pipes have been removed and welded shut (that is ok as long as they don’t leak). Also, the heat shields have been removed and that isn’t too good as they run extremely hot and melt everything in the surrounding area. Best to reinstall those. The manifold bolts are also cobbled on there.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:32 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

I put a set of 85s on my car and if aftermarket headers don't need the shields then these don't either.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:42 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tim H
I put a set of 85s on my car and if aftermarket headers don't need the shields then these don't either.
If that is the case, why did GM engineers install them in the first place? If the headers are ceramic coated inside and out, they generally do not need heat shielding. I’ve had headers that glow cherry red clear to the collectors, when under load. I’ve also seen the plastic brake boosters melt on C4’s with tubes.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:26 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steel Breeze
If that is the case, why did GM engineers install them in the first place? If the headers are ceramic coated inside and out, they generally do not need heat shielding. I’ve had headers that glow cherry red clear to the collectors, when under load. I’ve also seen the plastic brake boosters melt on C4’s with tubes.
Why did Gm install air tubes, EGR and converters when you don't need them either? you don't need the shields. If your headers are glowing cherry red you have other problems that a little thin shield is not going to solve.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:08 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tim H
Why did Gm install air tubes, EGR and converters when you don't need them either? you don't need the shields. If your headers are glowing cherry red you have other problems that a little thin shield is not going to solve.
Now your talking apples and oranges. The smog equipment installed on these cars was to meet EPA regulations. Anybody with any knowledge of performance automobiles knows that you want the heat to exit the tailpipes and not accumulate under the hood. Have you ever wondered why the people in the know use header wrap to wrap up their headers. Look into it. All of this, is just “Common Sense”. Now I am through arguing and wasting my time trying to educate.

P.S. Take your header equipped vehicle at night, find a decent steep grade (oh 4-5%) hammer the throttle, climb the hill in as high a gear as possible (load that engine down) and when you reach the top, pop the hood and you “Will” see glowing headers guaranteed. A good dynamometer can accomplish the same thing. It was on a dyno that I first saw mine glow. I had a friend run it up and I (being a dyno tech) loaded it down to maximize the timing and tuning for my 5500ft above sea level location.

The following users liked this post:
LiveWire1 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 05:11 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steel Breeze
Now your talking apples and oranges. The smog equipment installed on these cars was to meet EPA regulations. Anybody with any knowledge of performance automobiles knows that you want the heat to exit the tailpipes and not accumulate under the hood. Have you ever wondered why the people in the know use header wrap to wrap up their headers. Look into it. All of this, is just “Common Sense”. Now I am through arguing and wasting my time trying to educate.

P.S. Take your header equipped vehicle at night, find a decent steep grade (oh 4-5%) hammer the throttle, climb the hill in as high a gear as possible (load that engine down) and when you reach the top, pop the hood and you “Will” see glowing headers guaranteed. A good dynamometer can accomplish the same thing. It was on a dyno that I first saw mine glow. I had a friend run it up and I (being a dyno tech) loaded it down to maximize the timing and tuning for my 5500ft above sea level location.
Covering a metal pipe with a thin piece of metal is not going to stop heat. heres mine without the ugly heat metal covers.
Put your shields back on if it makes you feel good, but im not going to run the **** out of my car just to see the exhaust manifolds glow LOL!!!
As far as educating, just because you are giving your opinion doesn't mean your educating anyone, I've been working on cars for 40 years not much you can teach me.

Last edited by Tim H; 11-26-2021 at 05:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
farmer661 (11-29-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Exhaust manifolds

Quick Reply: 1985 Exhaust manifolds