C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Skipzoom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff?

What did you think? Any differences we should know about? :chevy
Old 12-24-2002, 10:04 AM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (Skipzoom)

Sure! Thicker lubes significantly reduce RWHP & efficiency. If you want to go slower and reduce fuel economy, run 15W-50 motor oil and 75W-140 that was blended for moving at 5 MPH in a Case-International or John Deere.

[Modified by Rick93Z07, 10:09 AM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 10:08 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (Rick93Z07)

If you want to go slower and reduce fuel economy, run the thick goo that was blended for a John Deere.
:lol: Skip, I run Mobil1 75W-90, it's GL-5 rated.

Eric
I'm a Hawkeye, but I don't run tractor lube in my Vette.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:22 AM
Skipzoom
Intermediate

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (Rick93Z07)

Rick, you make a good point but why then do we have a Tech Tip written by Tod DeBie who says he contacted Dana who says that 75W-140 is the preferred weight. I'm willing to give up a couple of HP to make this diff last. I'm on a mission to put the best fluids in my car so I don't ever have to rebuild anything ever. Any ideas.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:14 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (Skipzoom)

75-90 redline here. i don't see any benifit to the thicker oils unless you were doing some long term road racing and heat breakdown / film strength became the issue. as far as making the rear end last goes, the bearings normally wear out before you break gears {provided you don't have a gigizillion HP}
Old 12-24-2002, 08:23 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

I just put mine back together and put 75W-140 Redline in it. I picked this one due to the fact it gets hotter than Hades here in the summer which should negate the thick/thin for the most part. Just my opinion. If I lived up in the frozen northland, I would run the thinner stuff.

Eric, is that Hawkeye as in from Iowa?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (mash557)

VB Racing GL100 is what i'm putting in mine. :yesnod:
Old 12-25-2002, 01:14 AM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Sure! Thicker lubes significantly reduce RWHP & efficiency. If you want to go slower and reduce fuel economy, run 15W-50 motor oil and 75W-140 that was blended for moving at 5 MPH in a Case-International or John Deere.
What kind of answer is that to an honest question from a new member? :smash:

At the risk of both Rick93Z07 & Hrock's wrath, I'll add my 10 cent's I run Redline 75-140, W/ GM friction modifier. No problems, none expected...

:seeya

[Modified by superlund, 12:43 AM 12/25/2002]
Old 12-25-2002, 09:10 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (superlund)

Let me take a stab at it, an honest answer with a little tongue in cheek?

At the risk of both Rick93Z07 & Hrock's wrath, I'll add my 10 cent's I run Redline 75-140, W/ GM friction modifier. No problems, none expected...
I can't stand redline because of their paid internet spokesman who claims to be just another vette owner (you know the guy, he was a magazine writer until he commited professional suicide right here on the forum). If redline was so freaking good, they wouldn't have false research on their website and pay guys like the aforementioned joker to pretend they're just trying to help us. Without a doubt, redline offers no extra benefit over normal synthetics, unless you're on their payroll. Save your money, buy Mobil1.

Eric
Old 12-25-2002, 01:17 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (silver & red CE)

Let me take a stab at it, an honest answer with a little tongue in cheek?

I can't stand redline because of their paid internet spokesman who claims to be just another vette owner (you know the guy, he was a magazine writer until he commited professional suicide right here on the forum). If redline was so freaking good, they wouldn't have false research on their website and pay guys like the aforementioned joker to pretend they're just trying to help us. Without a doubt, redline offers no extra benefit over normal synthetics, unless you're on their payroll. Save your money, buy Mobil1.

Eric

If you are referring to me as "the aforementioned joker" you are way misinformed, I've never pushed Redline product's on this or any other forum, nor have I ever written for any magazine, so I guess that means I could not have committed professional suicide here or anywhere else.

Heck I've had to pay full price for every drop of Redline lube I've ever bought, I can only wish I was a "paid internet spokesman" that's it maybe this is my lucky day & someone at Redline will see this thread & send me a big "pot of cash" so I can retire from my day job. I could put all that cash I've been spending on lotto tickets into the humble old' Corvette you claim I don't own....

Like I mentioned in another post there is a group of you guy's who attack anyone that disagrees with you/them on a number of subjects, heck I didn't even disagree about the other fluids mentioned, namely Castrol & GM I just stated that "I run Redline MTL & love it" and that is all it took to unleash a whole string of misquotes & accusations. And of course now you are going to start the name calling like "aforementioned joker"

What is it that allows you to make matter of fact statements like;
"they wouldn't have false research on their website"
And..
"Without a doubt, redline offers no extra benefit over normal synthetics"

I suggest you go back & read my post's as all I've done is stated that I run MTL & 75-140 gear lube & love my results.

I know this is going to be hard for you to understand but try your best;
If I was pushing Redline oil's I would be pushing their motor oils as they get changed much more frequently than Trans, and rear-end lubes, but guess what I run Mobil-1 because it's just not worth the hassle to find Redline motor oils locally every time I decide to change my oil at a moments notice.

:cheers:
Old 12-25-2002, 01:50 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (superlund)

If you are referring to me as "the aforementioned joker" you are way misinformed, I've never pushed Redline product's on this or any other forum, nor have I ever written for any magazine, so I guess that means I could not have committed professional suicide here or anywhere else.
Unless you have a purple 95 ZR1 that you call "Barney" (as in the kid's PBS charactor), wasn't refering to you. Now if you are that same guy, LOL.

What is it that allows you to make matter of fact statements like;
"they wouldn't have false research on their website"
They have a web article on RLWW where they show data they claim proves RLWW reduces ECT. When I called to discuss the data with them, their technical expert admitted to me that they didn't actual do the research, they just copied an SAE paper and used the results like it was RLWW. Since RLWW is a specific formulation that redline claims is unique to redline, I believe they are intelletually dishonest in using the SAE paper's results when redline's formula wasn't used in the research. In fact, as far as I know, redline doesn't even have permission to use the author's results.

IMHO, If redline's RWLL is the same as the formula used in the SAE paper (soap), then their ads are a lie. If redline's formula is something special, then they should do the research and prove it, not have false data on their website.

And..
"Without a doubt, redline offers no extra benefit over normal synthetics"
That statement is my opinion, since so may others are stepping up to the redline alter, I thought I'd toss out an opinion of my own.

Eric
Old 12-25-2002, 01:59 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff? (silver & red CE)

That's much better Eric,

Not nearly as inflammatory, no attacks, and you just stated the facts.

Very good job with the water wetter research, do you use water wetter?

Not trying to be a smart - but who's the person with the ZR1 named Barney? I must have missed this episode..
Old 12-25-2002, 02:08 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Very good job with the water wetter research, do you use water wetter?
I don't, as far as I can tell, the benefit is marginal and only realized at the track with real hard driving. Adding it with 50% antifreeze is silly.

Not trying to be a smart - but who's the person with the ZR1 named Barney? I must have missed this episode..
I'd email you, but I just switched to cable modem (yesterday) and I haven't set up my email account. (Hint: look at old isses of Vette Magazine).

Eric
Old 12-25-2002, 02:32 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

I have used the water wetter, it only gained me a few degrees of temp drop, on average maybe 7-10 degree drop, it sure won't solve a cooling problem at the track if you are already having one...

You'll wish you did the cable modem sooner very :cool:

Old 12-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

Skip,

You mention the recommendation for 75W-140 in Tech Tips by Todd & Dana Corp. No doubt some "gear life expert" at Dana recommended the thicker lube. I suspect a Dana 44 used for severe duty during the summer in mountains north of Phoenix (trailer-towing) will last "only" a million miles on 75W-90 and perhaps a couple hundred K more on 75W-140. Fact is, the thicker viscosity reduces power and fuel mileage EVERY SINGLE DAY and a Dana geek could care less. The thinner 75W-90 viscosity is more suitable for ALL duty and the gear assy will outlast the car several fold. Racers typically run thinner than 75W-90 to achieve max RWHP...more like 50-60 weight. When is the last time you heard about an OEM gear set wearing out?? And if so, was the fluid EVER changed and/or was this differential on a pickup truck & filled with water from launching boats?

There may be rare situations where thicker lubes may be required in a Dana 44 due to gross overduty and excessive heat buildup...like a 500 HP Viper that is driven flat-out for hours. Even in these cases, the thinner lube lubricates just fine...until it all boils out of the undersized differential unit.

[Modified by Rick93Z07, 10:54 AM 12/26/2002]
Old 12-26-2002, 11:29 AM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Wow Rick, I'm glad to see you are changing your tune on following the factory (Dana) recommendations on fluids. I guess this means in your mind the "Dana geeks" as you call em' are not as smart as the ZF & GM engineers.

BTW, what did you think of those Pic's I took of the Redline MTL bottle that showed the API & GL ratings?
Old 12-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

What is your point? Dana 44 lubricant recommendations vary depending upon hardware mfr, service and duty. Read the Owners manual. Early Mexican Fox Mustangs uses the Dana 44 with a 4 cylinder 2.3L Pinto motor, as does Z06 and Viper. Mfr recommendations differ across the spectrum, so a blanket statement for 75W-140 use for Dana 44 may have been taken out of context.

I follow my owners manual which specifies API approved 80W-90 GL-5 for my Dana 44. This specification has been superceded by wider-range 75W-90 GL-5 synthetic.

I do not defy or ignore mfr specs, although I avoid unnecessarily high viscosity which helps reduce cold start wear and loss of efficiency. Climate charts usually provide enough overlap to give you a choice.

Ratings and certifications are different. Red Line ratings mean nothing. Ever since I affixed a 500 HP rating sticker on my LT1 motor, it feels real fast. It spins in 6th gear in the snow!

[Modified by Rick93Z07, 3:24 PM 12/26/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff?

Old 12-26-2002, 03:39 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

I didn't really have a point, I just like the way you pick & choose which engineers you like to quote, you know the "Dana Geeks" thing.

Anyway I hope that overly stiff sprung Z07 of your gets loose on a less than perfect track surface this summer, then you can tell us all about the manufacture's rating's on the laundry detergent's you wash your shorts out with....I'm sure you will do your best to come off as a genius on that subject also...optisparks, directfire ignitions, lubricants, & stay tuned folks coming this summer the benefits of Tide Vs Cheer.. :seeya
Old 12-26-2002, 03:46 PM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

I can't say I wish you to have an accident or similar ill-will simply because I have a differing opinion. That's quite a sarcastic waving smiley.

[Modified by Rick93Z07, 3:52 PM 12/26/2002]
Old 12-26-2002, 04:00 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

The only true accident I wished upon you was in your shorts...

So don't even try to drum up a bunch of sympathy... :rolleyes:

Quick Reply: Tech Tip says 75w-140 in the diff. Anyone running the thick stuff?