C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weak Spark/No Start - Source??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 01:21 PM
capg
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weak Spark/No Start - Source??

1984 Corvette - Chasing a no start condition... History - Car started missing and chugging, could only get a max 35 Mph out of it. Made it home but now it won't start. Noted weak yellow spark during trouble shooting. Tested Volts to dizzy = 12.4 on Ignition, 9.9 when cranking. Replaced ignition module and tested coil resistance = in spec. What else should I be looking at? Can spark control module cause this issue? Any other suggestions? ECM?? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:34 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 404 Posts

Control module's are for the most part a pass or fail not a weak spark thing, coils can test well on the low voltage tests but make you crazy on the road. Coils are not a very expensive on the Original Equipment level so a replacement cost is less painful than torment of is it good or not.

. Make sure if you do replace cap, coil and rotor that you bring over the ground bridge from old cap and replace center contact.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:17 AM
capg
Advanced

Originally Posted by s carter
Control module's are for the most part a pass or fail not a weak spark thing, coils can test well on the low voltage tests but make you crazy on the road. Coils are not a very expensive on the Original Equipment level so a replacement cost is less painful than torment of is it good or not.

. Make sure if you do replace cap, coil and rotor that you bring over the ground bridge from old cap and replace center contact.
Thanks for response. It's a DUI distributor. Coil primary was a tenth below spec, .3 ohm vs low end range of .4 ohm but my understanding is that would actually create more voltage/stronger spark. Dizzy doesn't have that many miles on it probably 6K at most. Also got a series of Malf Codes but I believe it was due to the poor running condition and not real defects one that lingered however was "51" Prom. I have a Dynamic EBL Flash II ECM installed and am now wondering if an ECM defect is influencing the weak spark. I know it sounds improbable but I have to ask.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:16 PM
stew86MCSS396
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

in my experience ICMs are all or nothing. Had a bad coil once that displayed rough running to the point the engine stalled. Pushed to the side of the road and restarted just fine. Drove a few miles and repeat. Finally dead about a mile from home...but as you mentioned coil is new. Plug wires???

What does BobR have to say about that code 51? I don't think an ECM would have any influence on a weak spark.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:38 AM
capg
Advanced

Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396
in my experience ICMs are all or nothing. Had a bad coil once that displayed rough running to the point the engine stalled. Pushed to the side of the road and restarted just fine. Drove a few miles and repeat. Finally dead about a mile from home...but as you mentioned coil is new. Plug wires???

What does BobR have to say about that code 51? I don't think an ECM would have any influence on a weak spark.
Thanks... RBob, the go-to-guy on this stuff has me pretty much convinced it can't be the ECM and 99.99% of the time he's spot on. Plug wires in good shape. I broke down and ordered new ignition module, cap rotor and coil - all DUI stuff from Summit. Hope that does the trick - issues have been frustrating and not uncommon on my highly modified Crossfire. Seems like every time I'm close to that fire breathing tune something goes South - like this car is fighting me - a "Christine" candidate for sure.

Last edited by capg; 10-17-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-17-2021, 11:45 AM
capg
Advanced

... you bring over the ground bridge from old cap and replace center contact.
Just re-read your response.. Ground bridge and center contact? Can you elaborate on that? One of the standard connections? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:19 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by capg
Just re-read your response.. Ground bridge and center contact? Can you elaborate on that? One of the standard connections? Thanks.

A common forgotten part that is left behind in the old cap is the ground bridge a stamped steel piece sits under the coil. In many cases people will open a pile of boxes to replace the cap & coil a lot of the time the bridge is not included or is just cheap tin that you look and say we're the Hell does go, the GM on is better in most cases. The contact most of the time the contact that do come with the cap are cheap.

Last edited by s carter; 10-17-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:45 PM
stew86MCSS396
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm a visual kinda guy... Would it even run with that piece missing???
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stributor.html

Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 10-17-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:56 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396
I'm a visual kinda guy... Would it even run with that piece missing???
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stributor.html
Probably not if it did it wouldn't be well
Old 10-21-2021, 09:49 AM
capg
Advanced

New DUI coil, cap, rotor, and ignition module from Summit did the trick... had it in a few days - fast. So, lessons learned??? Don't trust cheap chit ignition modules OR coils that test within spec. Ha. Nothing like the shotgun approach to fixing things - at least I saved shop fees!
Old 10-21-2021, 10:54 AM
htrdbmr
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by capg
New DUI coil, cap, rotor, and ignition module from Summit did the trick... had it in a few days - fast. So, lessons learned??? Don't trust cheap chit ignition modules OR coils that test within spec. Ha. Nothing like the shotgun approach to fixing things - at least I saved shop fees!
DUI strikes again. High priced cheap chit.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:59 AM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by htrdbmr
DUI strikes again. High priced cheap chit.
Supposed to be made in America. Junk. The DUI drop in replacement from Summit I got was a paper weight. DOA.....
Old 10-23-2021, 10:03 AM
capg
Advanced

To the guys who posted negative comments on the DUI system - 1. It fixed the issue 2.Timing on your concerns are a bit late.

Last edited by capg; 10-23-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weak Spark/No Start - Source??

Quick Reply: Weak Spark/No Start - Source??