C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Key Stuck in Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 02:01 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Key Stuck in Door

I unlocked my driver side door wit the key but now the key is stuck in the cylinder in the horizontal position. Can not turn it vertical for removal. Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You've probably tried but operate the power locks and see if that helps.

Joe K
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (02-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2021, 03:46 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

I tried everything. The locking mechanism does not work. I am currently trying to get the damn door panel off but it is hung up on something in the door handle area. The FSM has a pretty poor description regarding removing it.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:55 AM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 219 Posts

What usually works for me is placing my thumb next to the key on the lock cylinder and pulling the key with the other hand while applying slight pressure on the lock
Art17 (02-13-2022)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:10 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Update: I think I figured out what was hanging up the panel....a screw hidden behind the slider ****. Apparently the slider can be popped off with a little prying. Given how brittle all the plastic is on these old cars I have asked a lock smith to take a look at it this afternoon before I break something.
Art17 (02-13-2022)
Old 10-15-2021, 10:07 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Good Luck with your Locksmith! They are usually pretty good about things like this. While he is there make a new key for your Corvette and test to see that it works. On my C3 they used a door key and an Ignition key, I had my locksmith make them all the same key so It makes it easier for me.

A good thing to do every couple years is to Lubricate your tumblers with Graphite powder and they will continue working happily for years to come. Put that on the maintenance list and this problem should be the last one like it.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:40 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Thanks! C4s also have a separate key for the door but the ignition key has a resistive pellet embedded in the key.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:59 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS. Your door lock cylinder is coming apart. More specifically, the piece of tin that holds the tumbler springs down, has detached from the cylinder, and is caught in a groove in the ID of the cylinder housing. See pics and more details, HERE.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom400CFI:
Art17 (02-13-2022), vette196 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 11:55 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Sounds like I should go ahead and finish removing the door panel for the lock smith.
Art17 (02-13-2022)
Old 10-15-2021, 02:24 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Probably....but you don't need a lock smith. If you're capable of removing that door panel you can get the handle out and then the cylinder and fix it, too.
Art17 (02-13-2022)
Old 10-15-2021, 02:28 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS. Your door lock cylinder is coming apart. More specifically, the piece of tin that holds the tumbler springs down, has detached from the cylinder, and is caught in a groove in the ID of the cylinder housing. See pics and more details, HERE.
I got the panel off.... did you remove your power window bracket for more clearance?

My lock is stuck with the rod at the 6 o'clock position (the unlocked position) so I will need to pop the clip off inside the car to remove the assembly I guess and then install the repaired lock in the 12 o'clock position as you show. Do the lock rod and door latch rod just push out of the mounting hole? The lock rod appears to have a nylon arrow point "like" tip. I have not put eyes on the door latch rod yet. Great post BYW. Very informative. My issue sounds exactly like yours. Did you replace or repair the lock?

Last edited by KJL; 10-15-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Art17 (02-13-2022)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:09 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KJL
I got the panel off.... did you remove your power window bracket for more clearance?

My lock is stuck with the rod at the 6 o'clock position (the unlocked position) so I will need to pop the clip off inside the car to remove the assembly I guess and then install the repaired lock in the 12 o'clock position as you show. Do the lock rod and door latch rod just push out of the mounting hole? The lock rod appears to have a nylon arrow point "like" tip. I have not put eyes on the door latch rod yet. Great post BYW. Very informative. My issue sounds exactly like yours. Did you replace or repair the lock?
My 92 appears to be a bit different. The latch rod looks like it will be withdrawing from door with the latch assembly. It simply slides into an actuation arm in the door. The hard part is going to be the lock rod. See attached pic. The lock is partially obstructed by a rod but you can make out the L shaped arm that attaches to it and the latch rod. The yellow greased end of the latch rod just slides into that bracket. Right above it is the lock rod in a nylon clip. I think all I need to do is unclip it from the rod and it should slide right out of the bracket.

Last edited by KJL; 10-15-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:06 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by KJL

Did you replace or repair the lock?
No, I left the window bracket in place.

I replaced my lock, ONLY b/c I had a pair "in stock" from a part-out that I did. The old one was reparable and I've kept it. Really, all that needs to happen is press that piece of tin back down against the springs, then re-stake the aluminum cylinder around the tin, to hold the tin down.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:11 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

The latch rod came off the handle when I did mine. IDK if you could snake it out, still attached to the handle. Flip that little black retainer UP, then the rod will pop out sideways from the handle.

For the lock rod, IIRC, you can flip the yellow retainer UP, then slip the lock rod out of the lock arm. I slipped a 90* pick up in there, pulled the "E" clip off the lock and pulled the lock arm off of the lock cylinder....the pulled the handle out. However, you do MAY not need to do that. If the lock were working correctly, you could turn it to point the arm up, IIRC, and then "roll" the handle assy up and out of the door. If you can't rotate it in a favorable direction, you'll have to do like I did and slip the E clip off. You'll be able to find it in the bottom of the door w/a magnet.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:23 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

The latch rod came off the handle when I did mine. IDK if you could snake it out, still attached to the handle. Flip that little black retainer UP, then the rod will pop out sideways from the handle.

For the lock rod, IIRC, you can flip the yellow retainer UP, then slip the lock rod out of the lock arm. I slipped a 90* pick up in there, pulled the "E" clip off the lock and pulled the lock arm off of the lock cylinder....the pulled the handle out. However, you do MAY not need to do that. If the lock were working correctly, you could turn it to point the arm up, IIRC, and then "roll" the handle assy up and out of the door. If you can't rotate it in a favorable direction, you'll have to do like I did and slip the E clip off. You'll be able to find it in the bottom of the door w/a magnet.
My lock won’t turn so I will have to pop the e clip off in the door. If I can’t slip the latch rod out of the door I am not sure how to unhook it from the latch. May need to get a bore scope up there.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:42 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

You shouldn't have to use a borescope. In the pic that you posted above; You see that green wire that runs to the lock switch? Right beyond that is the black plastic clip that holds the door release rod into the door handle arm. Using a small screw driver, pry/flip that black thing UP, snapping it off of the release arm, then swiveling it up and out of the way of the rod. It stays put in the door handle arm, and the rod will now slid sideways, out of the door handle arm, and that black clip.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:54 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

You shouldn't have to use a borescope. In the pic that you posted above; You see that green wire that runs to the lock switch? Right beyond that is the black plastic clip that holds the door release rod into the door handle arm. Using a small screw driver, pry/flip that black thing UP, snapping it off of the release arm, then swiveling it up and out of the way of the rod. It stays put in the door handle arm, and the rod will now slid sideways, out of the door handle arm, and that black clip.
I have a bore scope so it is not a problem. I just need to visualize what it looks like. I don’t want to break it. Probably need to wait to next weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Stuck in Door

Old 10-16-2021, 09:17 PM
941YYG
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjl
i unlocked my driver side door wit the key but now the key is stuck in the cylinder in the horizontal position. Can not turn it vertical for removal. Any ideas?
wd40
Old 10-16-2021, 09:26 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

No. WD40 is not going to fix it. Did you READ the link that I posted?
Old 10-17-2021, 08:38 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

No. WD40 is not going to fix it. Did you READ the link that I posted?
I got the bore scope up there and took a pic of the latch rod connector. It is similar to the lock rod connector.
Just lift it up and slide rod end

out of the door handle.

Quick Reply: Key Stuck in Door