C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 guys and gals with selective ride control

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 11:07 AM
C4ForGeeGee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 guys and gals with selective ride control

For you guys and gals that drive C4's with the selective ride control, which setting do you find yourself using most? Is it the Touring, sport or competition mode? And why do you use that mode most often? thanks in advance for your responses :chevy
Old 12-21-2002, 11:41 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (C4ForGeeGee)

I leave mine on Touring about 90% of the time.
The reason? Mine's a daily driver, and the roads in Houston are pretty lousy most of the time, and also concrete. On Sport you feel every little expansion joint, I just don't want to abuse the car or myself.
Now, on a nice asphalt road in good shape Sport is my favorite. I don't think I've spent more than 5 minutes on Performance.
Jeff
Old 12-21-2002, 11:43 AM
kawboy5792
Burning Brakes

i drive around mostly in the middle "sport" mode because it is firm, yet a pleasant ride. i sometimes use the tour mode when i have someone in the car (female) because it is less punishing. perf. is mostly for the twisties, but dont think of using it on the track because it doesnt allow rear end squat. when drag racing, i always use the tour mode because it allows the most squat.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:29 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (kawboy5792)

I test drove a C4 Corvette with selective ride control and to be honest I couldn't tell any difference between my Vette , 96 coupe with standard suspension, and the 96 with selective control. Maybe the car I test drove had the shocks worn out or maybe you have to be close to the limit before you see any difference, but from what I felt I couldn't tell which mode I was in.

Do you have to be really asking the shocks for performance before you see or feel any difference or can you feel it on normal everyday back and forth work kinda driving :confused: :steering:
Old 12-21-2002, 01:13 PM
C4ForGeeGee
Racer

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (CowboyNVette)

You can really feel the difference between Touring and performance :yesnod: Sport feels like the perfect balance.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:14 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (CowboyNVette)

I used to feel the same way until I switched back and forth between Tour and Performance on a bumpy road, and the Tour setting was much more forgiving. The Performance setting stiffens up with speed, but softens as you decelerate.

I went ahead and had my shocks revalved by Bilstein using their Sport setting. I also got a new Controller Prom and Chip from DRM that keeps the Tour setting as is, and changed the Sport to what the Performance setting is now (or thereabouts) and changes the Performance setting to true performance. I believe it is no longer based on speed.

I like it a lot but keep it on Tour for everyday driving, Sport for autocrossing and Performance for road racing...

Mike
Old 12-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

There's a bunch of crap roads around here so I leave it on Tour most of the time, if I'm racing I throw it into Performance.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Rich_01659
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (Drewdog)

i never noticed that there were settings other than performance. :jester
performance seems to suit me. i rarely change it.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:05 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (Rich_01659)

mines allways in performance. in sport and tour the car wallows and feels a bit out of controll. one of my shocks is blown and i'm getting ready to have the shocks rebuilt and revalved. maybe then i'll use one of the other settings.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:06 PM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (Raistlin)

I keep it on sport mostly... :yesnod:
Old 12-21-2002, 08:41 PM
spdrcrj
Racer

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (Mervz)

PLEASE HELP!!!! Where are you guys getting your SR shocks rebuilt? I have 90000 miles on mine and am dying to get them done. Thanks for your responces. -Jim :flag
Old 12-21-2002, 08:45 PM
rcolling
Le Mans Master

I keep mine on Performance and it still feels soft after driving the lowered '86 for 5 years.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:56 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Around town I leave the switch in Tour. On back roads I 'll change to the Sport setting. I usually don't use the Performance setting except for autocross or track days.

One thing about how the FX3 system functions and what you feel in SOTP is that damping changes done by the shock actuators are controlled in part by vehicle speed. I remember seeing a chart somewhere (probably an old Vette or Corvette Fever magazine) that showed the setting values graphed by each setting and vehicle speed. The degree of stiffness for the various settings wold sometimes overlap at certain vehicle speeds. Based on the switch settings, the actuators will not begin to move until certain speeds are reached.

Bilstein can custom re-valve the FX3 shocks and substantially change how the shocks perform. You can get also different controllers and proms to change how and at what speed the shock actuators move to stiffen the shock. Try Lingenfelter or Doug Rippie for information on proms and controllers. I saw them in a recent Eckler's catalog, but the controllers did not specify different prom chips. They were identified simply as Slalom 1, Slalom 2 and Road Race
Old 12-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (c4cruiser)

Bilstein can custom re-valve the FX3 shocks and substantially change how the shocks perform. You can get also different controllers and proms to change how and at what speed the shock actuators move to stiffen the shock. Try Lingenfelter or Doug Rippie for information on proms and controllers. I saw them in a recent Eckler's catalog, but the controllers did not specify different prom chips. They were identified simply as Slalom 1, Slalom 2 and Road Race
The different controllers are a waste of money, unless you know what you're doing. The only time they are benificial is when you do lots of drag racing, road racing (multiple tracks) and autocross. That way you can get a prom for each.

As far as mine, I leave it in Sport, which is now performance after the revalving that Bilstein did.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:21 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (c4cruiser)

Most of the people selling the controllers are clueless. Call Peter at Rippie, or Bilstein in Calif. for the real story.

The original poster (I believe) was correct in stating that the maps are controlled by the speed of the vehicle. I have a host of them for different PROMs. (as well as a number of different PROMs) Jeff is also correct in that you have to understand how the system works, and what happens when you twist the shock switch. It is a very capable system when properly set up.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:31 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (h rocks)

Most of the people selling the controllers are clueless. Call Peter at Rippie, or Bilstein in Calif. for the real story.

The original poster (I believe) was correct in stating that the maps are controlled by the speed of the vehicle. I have a host of them for different PROMs. (as well as a number of different PROMs) Jeff is also correct in that you have to understand how the system works, and what happens when you twist the shock switch. It is a very capable system when properly set up.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: When fully operational, I don't think there is a system better. You just need to know how to troubleshoot it and fix it.

Old 12-22-2002, 06:06 AM
black bart
Drifting

Default Re: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control (Jeffvette)

I think those who drive in performance all the time have worn shocks when I change from touring to performance it makes a big difference. and ride is harsh I only use it when I drive above 150 mph :steering:

[Modified by black bart, 6:09 AM 12/22/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To C4 guys and gals with selective ride control

Quick Reply: C4 guys and gals with selective ride control