C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Radio

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has put a CB in the C4 Vette?? I just installed the CB under the dash of the driver area, looks slick...DL. But now i'm doing my research on CB Antennas. I've heard so much BS, and hype, and this.....and that. I know I need a "NO GROUND" or Fiberglass system of antenna. I've seen the MADirect one....looks gay, and its SO SO over priced it's not funny. I came up with the idea of taking a fiberglass/metal whip and just kind of molding it to the roll bar area inside the hatch. So it will make a bow, from one end to the other. I know you also need to use a SWR and tune it so i dont have a reading over 3 to blow up my Radio. If anyone has any ideas/tips please respond. thanks.
Jason 89 Coupe
Old 12-18-2002, 07:40 PM
lead foot 85 vet
Drifting

Default Re: CB Radio (Fast_vette89)

Most everyone a are local corvette club has one and the hot set up is to attach a flat bar on the rear frame extend past rear of corvette and drill it for your attenna, then run the cable along the frame to the bottom of the rear compartment box and come through there. when not in use you can coil the cable and store in the compartment. we all take the CB out when not in use with the club but this way you have a grounded attenna. some use the ungrounded attenna and they work fine but can't get out more than a couple of blocks :chevy
Old 12-18-2002, 08:46 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: CB Radio (lead foot 85 vet)

There are a variety of CB antennas you can use. Radio Shack has one that looks like a cell phone antenna. Installs on the windshield or hatch and you route the cable inside the trim. No idea what the xmit/receive range is but it looks like a very clean installation to do.

I have installed my cable in the same fashion that lead foot 85 vet did but I use a marine antenna (also from Radio Shack). The antenna and cable are a set, so you can't cut the coax to make it shorter. The SWR came in around 2.3 on Ch 20. Xmit signal is good for about 6 miles out on the freeway. When the CB is not in the car, I just unscrew the antenna from the bracket and place a rubber cap over the attaching post.

Having the antenna at the rear of the car will cause the signal pattern to be oriented more rear to front than in an omni-directional pattern but for touring with other Vettes it should work.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:32 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: CB Radio (lead foot 85 vet)

Hey, I had an idea about using a whip antenna and molding it sort of to the roll bar area inside the car, so it has length, but it's in the car....anyone try this yet??
Old 12-19-2002, 10:49 AM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: CB Radio (c4cruiser)

this is the setup I have on mine. It works pretty well. I used the same setup for my bear tracker too. The Radio Shack cell style antennas will lay down too, so you don't have an antenna farm attracting the eye of John Law.

The only problem I've encountered is that they will pop off of the glass if you hit them washing the car. You have to glue them back on with the special glass glue, not a big deal, just something to think about.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:08 AM
Jimbo93
Drifting

CB??? Scanner???, How about a Bulldog for the hood??? Maybe a nice pair of airhorns!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-19-2002, 11:57 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: CB Radio (Jim Holbrook)

from the outside right now you can't see anything, i got a splitter that allows me to use my "factory" power antenna for the CB & the KENWOOD head unit. SO there is no eye sores, just the factory power antenna. I also have a dual Voice coil 10" AudioBauhn woofer that's hidden in the passenger compartment and driven by a 400W amp that's hidden in the ABS bin. (all the wiring is run through the console. And to top off the air horns, I have 1999 BMW M3 horns (in the place of our "american POS") bought from the BMW dealer in Tampa, FL and installed in the factory location. ....Bullfrog.....na....just just a 2" drop, polished rims and my trance music slamming and a Ho in the car. :cheers:
Old 12-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

CB??? Scanner???, How about a Bulldog for the hood??? Maybe a nice pair of airhorns!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:iagree:

CB in a sports car?........Not in mine!
Old 12-20-2002, 01:16 PM
alex siu
Cruising

Default Re: CB Radio (Shylor)

There isn't enough metal on the fiber body to make a ground plane for a convension antenna to work. so either spen $$$ on getting a NG antenna then DRILL a hold in the fender or an unattractive looking marine antenna, Glass mount will loose about 1/2 of the signal normally, and more if mounting on the windshield.

My recommendation.... the duplexer to split the AM/FM radio. It is by far the the most effective given the constrains. it is not as effective as a regular antenna on a large metal roof, but it is the next best thing.

Old 12-20-2002, 01:39 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Quote:
"CB??? Scanner???, How about a Bulldog for the hood??? Maybe a nice pair of airhorns!!!"
_______

Now, THAT'S funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-20-2002, 03:18 PM
Bob Lapine
Instructor

I installed my Midland CB radio on the right side drivers seat by attaching a single bracket to the plastic seat bottom, then attaching the CB to one of the side attachment holes. This puts the radio by your right leg, and you can either put the mic in your lap or attach a mic bracket on the other side of the radio to hang your mic from. With a small thin CB its a great place to place one thats out of the way and it will go back and forth with your seat. All power and antenna cable is routed under the drivers seat to the CB ! As for my antenna I have a plate (its painted the same color as the car) that goes under the C4 insignia on the gas filler lid. Wtih a stainless mast attachment I can mount my 4 ft fiberglass antenna by screwing it in when I need the CB thus I can leave the antenna in the back if I don't need the CB. Its worked very well and I get great reception, I designed my CB antenna to be removeable if need be so its not always on the car. Hope this helps... :seeya :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To CB Radio

Quick Reply: CB Radio