C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 10:00 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Default Power Steering Issue

My 85 with 110K has a funny feeling in the power steering. When you turn 1 way or the other, sometimes there is a slight resistance going back to center
Ideas?
Old 07-17-2021, 08:27 AM
DALE53
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
My 85 with 110K has a funny feeling in the power steering. When you turn 1 way or the other, sometimes there is a slight resistance going back to center
Ideas?
I just came across something that may greatly interest you . I discovered a TSB # 90-376-3B that details a power steering issue in 1988-90 cars such as you describe .This discovery is too late to help me as the needed parts to fix are long discontinued . But I suggest you do a TSB and recall search just incase your 85 had any similar issues that were never taken care of . If there are I'm sure no dealer will help you but you can get repair information from the TSB . What sucks for me is the previous owner serviced the car at a local garage and not a dealership where they should have caught my issue long ago . I'm sure may owners replaced power steering pumps and steering racks needlessly because they never heard of TSB #90-376-3B .
Old 07-17-2021, 10:23 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I doubt that TSB should be of any interest to the OP BUT -- OP I'd expect on an early car with the Intermediate Shaft wear/deterioration expected at usually less miles than yours IF yours hasn't been modified/replaced then that's where I'd go 1st. I doubt a PS issue but of course anything is possible. Intermediate shaft 1st. An issue is generally a very straight forward visual check. I believe @Hot Rod Roy has posted images several times for the '84 & '85 intermediate failures.

Speaking of @Hot Rod Roy I don't believe I've seen him around recently.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596303787

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-17-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:29 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You could run vin on a variety of sites for recalls. If by chance there is an open recall it's not supported now. Most likely spool valve seals are leaking and rack needs rebuilt. Housing may be pitted and needed sleeved.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:37 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

The best thing you can do for your steering system is to keep the Power Steering Fluid cool and clean. This is what the guy at Turn One suggested as a way to get more "life" out of our Power steering Racks. He suggested that the seals used in the rack and pinion would all last longer if not exposed to such heat.
I added a new reservoir to my C3 to give it over a quart of fluid in the reservoir and it is in the path of cooling air. I also added a Power steering in-line filter to keep the gunk out.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:32 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Some more driving the last few days in the city.
What happens is when there is a left turn the steering wheel turns some and then some extra resistance and then will turn the rest of the way with normal resistance
It doesn't happen turning right
I would assume this is probably because of a bad rack?
Old 08-08-2021, 01:01 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

It is time to sleeve the rack soon. Mine was bad enough to stop it from turning almost. They will put a steel sleeve in and it will work again. Now you may get a pretty good fix for now by putting Lucas Oil power steering conditioner.
It is worth a try. The oil is crossing passages and pushing against itself a little now. I found a local parts rebiulder to do mine. Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Issue

Quick Reply: Power Steering Issue