C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Corvette 10amp blows out (gauges fuse)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 11:02 PM
connor910
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Corvette 10amp blows out (gauges fuse)

I know there is a lot that i put into this forum thread, i apologize if it is hard to follow i just need these things fixed as soon as i can because i want to get the car up and running, i only had the car for about 4 weeks, and then all this came out of nowhere i wasn't really driving it too much when i bought it because midwest weather has been kinda weird recently by me, but idk if i can take it back to dealer and argue with them or if i just have to eat all the problems and fix it.

Hello, I am new to the group I apologize if this has been addressed a million times already, but I am looking at my C4 corvette and I am having issues with the fuse (gauges fuse), it keeps blowing out I replaced the fuse, and it blows out right away all the time so there is no intermittent problem. I checked the climate control none of that is working, radio doesn't work, overdrive doesnt work (4+3 trans) and i am looking at a giant cluster of wires hanging near the ground. I know a decent amount mechanical but not to much about wiring and electronics. I feel like there is a short. I first noticed this issue after I replaced the serpentine belt, and belt tensioner(was seized) so replaced that as well, replaced the battery, and the car starts to die while driving sporadically, i checked the power, and the alternator is putting out way to much voltage (20-22Volts) and battery is at 19V at terminals, but inside the car it shows the battery is only at 11-12 Volts, so I ordered a new alternator waiting for that to come in, but I am trying to figure out the fuse issue or if it is just the alternator that is causing an issue with the 10 fuse (gauges) like I said i am not too good at electrical so I am looking for some advice or if you think I should just take it to a shop, I am trying to find the issue first because I would prefer not to pay shop if no need. but i feel this is outside my area of expertise, please let me know if there is something i haven't looked at.

Also there is a wire that was behind the radio that is used to start the car, i don't know what that wire is in particular but it looks like a harness but it is missing the male end of the connector, the previous owner just put a wire in that made contact with both sides of the connector if i remove that wire the car won't start but if i jam it back in there the car starts up no problems.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:42 PM
ewjxn
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have a couple issues going on. I can't help with the first one, but here are my thoughts on the second.

"Also there is a wire that was behind the radio that is used to start the car, i don't know what that wire is in particular but it looks like a harness but it is missing the male end of the connector, the previous owner just put a wire in that made contact with both sides of the connector if i remove that wire the car won't start but if i jam it back in there the car starts up no problems"

Connor, that sounds like a VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) disable solution. Your C4 needs to have a VATS key with the right value to start the car. The little black "pellet" on the key contains a resistor that the VATS system reads to ensure the correct key value is present to start. There are 15 different values ( Read this for more info https://mcguirelocksmith.com/service...pellet-number/)
Some owners put a resister across the connector that should go to the ignition switch to trick the VATS into thinking it is seeing the right pellet.

There are ways to determine what pellet you car should have and what value your key is. Is the wire a resistor or just something like a bent paperclip?

If its a resistor you can read the value from the color code and compare it to the list in the above link. You can take your key to a good locksmith and they may have a pellet reader to see what your key is. If its wrong have them cut the correct key and plug that connector back into the steering column connector.

It will take about 5 minutes for VATS to reset before it will start again even with the correct key once it is tripped.

Last edited by ewjxn; 05-28-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:58 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Look for any wires that are damaged or look burnt. In particular, the pink wire with black tracer. There are alot of them in there...
Another recent post a guy found a dime in the cigarette lighter causing a short. Worth a shot.
19 volts at battery is not helping your situation. If the gauge in car is reading low compared to a meter directly on battery, I'd think the short is in the dash.
Once you fix alternator, start unplugging things under the dash and see if you find it. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Corvette 10amp blows out (gauges fuse)

Quick Reply: C4 Corvette 10amp blows out (gauges fuse)