C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 6 speed loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:45 PM
guno89
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 89 6 speed loss of power

I need to address these issues
The car needs a new battery, it still works.
I def have a small leak at the water pump, the gasket is swollen and the antifreeze needs to be flushed.

Car has no CEL

I took the car for a ride yesterday and after 4-5 minutes I had almost no power, I was able to get home but something isn't rite. I found a sparkplug wire that was in bade shape (cyl 8) I replaced it. The issue persists. I am just thinking out loud here, possible fuel issue. When I start the car and it idles it sounds fine and revs up good until it gets warmer. I don't have a gauge I didn't test fuel pressure. I have my doubts it's spark plug/wires rotor cap or injectors as they are newer.

I def here a horrible clanking sound, I wonder if my cat's or pre cats are plugged up. Should exhaust come out of both muffler tips? it only flows out of one tip on each side. My gas mileage has also been terrible prior to this power issue. Attached is video of the sound I am hearing. I can't tell if it's coming from the cat, pre cat or else where. Any insight would be appreciated. I left the car running for 30 min today It was idling ok around 7-800 rpm's

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3098.mov (12.01 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by guno89; 03-29-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:48 AM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Are the original injectors still in the car? When (Not if) they go bad, they cause rough running and lack of power after they warm up. Another side effect is banging/clanking in the zf6 trans (too much uneven firing for the dual mass flywheel to dampen).
Old 03-30-2021, 10:18 AM
guno89
Racer

Originally Posted by 89onlyZ51
Are the original injectors still in the car? When (Not if) they go bad, they cause rough running and lack of power after they warm up. Another side effect is banging/clanking in the zf6 trans (too much uneven firing for the dual mass flywheel to dampen).
Those injectors are long gone, I remember when they failed the car would run then not restart after a drive or stall out. I had the car idling for 30 min yesterday never stalled our really sputtered.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:51 AM
IBVETN2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Check the cats. The debris that was plugging mine looked like pieces of charcoal. Sounds like there could be some floating around in yours.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:33 PM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, now that I listen to your video, I can hear the clanking. Could be the cats. Can you get under there and bang around on the exhaust to see if the ceramic is loose in there? If you were running rich (due to previous bad spark in a cylinder or two), you could have melted the cores in the cats. Kinda sounds too metallic for that, though it's hard to tell.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:03 PM
guno89
Racer

I drove the car got it nice and warm. Feels like the car is choking when I smash it. I have a infared thermometer I took the inlet and outlet temp of the cat and the outlet is about 70 degrees cooler. I wish I could get the inlet side off I don't have lift. I really hate going under cars w/ jack stands. If I could loosen it I could at least confirm its the issue on a test drive.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 6 speed loss of power

Quick Reply: 89 6 speed loss of power