C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission Coolers.......should I get one??

Old 12-12-2002, 01:03 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'08-'09

Default Transmission Coolers.......should I get one??

I just recieved my SLP 2400 stall converter and was wondering if it's wise to buy one? I plan on visiting the drag strip a lot next year.
If so what kind and how much do they cost? And where is the best place to mount it?................please show me pics of yours. :)

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:23 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one?? (Mr. Magoo)

MAgoo..

Summit has a whole slew of them, Jegs too. I don't have any pics, but I ran mine through the existing radiator cooler, then through the aftermarket one and mack to the tranny. I mounted it right in from of the AC compressor radiator. they will send you plastic ties that you can gently fish through that condensor radiator and then secure the cooler. I just moved the AUX fan slightly towards the front of the car. So now it blows directly on the cooler, through the condensor, through the radiator. Seems to work good and only took about 1 hr to do (if your familiar with the fan shroud) clean out in between the two real good also. Sure you have seen pics of what it looks like. Oh, you can pull the condensor up onto a 45* angle, just be gentle with the lines and try not to over flex them.

:cheers:
Old 12-12-2002, 01:23 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summit racing. Get the B&M 26k GVW one. I got it, and I had it mounted in my air dam in like an hour. Very easy to hook up, comes with all the mounting stuff. It was like $50. Do you have the dual cooling fans? I do, and I mounted it even still. If I DIDN'T have that booster fan, mounting would have been a SNAP! :cheers:
Old 12-12-2002, 02:25 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna do mine like this when I get it, I ordered a Hayden for $45 from http://www.transmissioncenter.net (they build the Raptor trannys).

Don at Transmission Center told me that with my 2500rpm TC that normal driving should be fine without it but if I'm gonna be racing it or driving long range a lot then I should get one. Since I drive 60 miles each way to work I figured I would get one, especially for that price.

[Modified by VetBoy89, 11:35 AM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-12-2002, 02:27 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Cheap insurance. :yesnod:
Old 12-12-2002, 02:57 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one?? (TIMSPEED)

Summit racing. Get the B&M 26k GVW one. I got it, and I had it mounted in my air dam in like an hour. Very easy to hook up, comes with all the mounting stuff. It was like $50. Do you have the dual cooling fans? I do, and I mounted it even still. If I DIDN'T have that booster fan, mounting would have been a SNAP! :cheers:
Thanks guys!! I'm getting one, it's better to be safe and it doesn't look as if they cost much. :cheers:

Timspeed, no my Vette does not have the dual cooling fans. I guess in this case it's better I don't for ease of mounting the Trans cooler. Thanks I'll order the B&M one tonight from Summit.

if anybody has a pic of their installation I would appreciate it. :)

[Modified by Mr. Magoo, 2:58 PM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-12-2002, 03:05 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

if anybody has a pic of their installation I would appreciate it. :)
Crawl under ken's car. :D
Old 12-12-2002, 04:33 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Hope this helps guy.

:cheers:

[Modified by TIMSPEED, 4:37 PM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-12-2002, 10:39 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one?? (TIMSPEED)

I got the B&M 24,000lbs. It has a low pressure bypass system that is another form of insurance. The bigger race cooler doesn't have this feature.

I mounted my cooler infront of my condensor and I bypassed the stock cooler. I just bought an oil thermostat instead. This way my transmission will warm up but not as hot as before.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:59 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Señor Magoo,

The installation is pretty easy. It depends on which one you get as to where you mount it.

I would suggest a B&M plated cooler, since they are impervious to rocks. The 26K is WAY to frickin' big for a 2400 stall lock-up street car. I'm running that cooler as an engine oil cooler, and I'm about to down-grade to something in the 20K range for the engine.

I'm running an 18000 GVWR Hayden cooler, and its equally way to frickin' big. In heavy traffic, beating on the car, the oil never gets over 130 degrees. Ultimately I'd like something in the range of 14,000 GVWR for the transmission. I'm running a Jet converter that flash-stalls to 2950 rpm, its advertised at 2600-2800, but I'm making a lot of torque.

Anyways, a plated cooler should go straight out front of the condensor. Its cheap insurance against rocks into the condensor. Heres my engine cooler:

A non-plated cooler should go behind the condensor, a punctured A/C system is going to be ultimately less costly than a punctured tranny line.

These mount with little press through pins, make sure you get ones with springs, they're about $3 at any autoparts store...my hayden cooler didn't come with the right ones.

Running it into the system is a piece of cake, Hayden sent all of the right hardware. You simply press a piece of hose (provided) onto their little nipple and install the nipple into the lower transmission cooler spot. That cooler is semi-decent, but not quite enough. With my torque converter with no supplemental cooling, I was seeing over 200 degrees in cooler conditions, it wasn't enough.

You can then wrap the line up around the radiatior, there is room between the shroud. HOLD the cooler in place and cut the line to length. I made the mistake of installing the cooler first, that was a PITA, always press the lines on before you install the cooler. I ran this line into the top of the transmission cooler, to make use of gravity, that probably doesn't do a darn thing. The transmission is very tempermental about her pressures, and I'm almost wondering if thats where I may be running into problems. The pressure needs to be between something insanely small like 10-11.5 psi. My trans shifts way too early, but I think its a governor problem. Don't let this scare you, nobody but me has reported this problem.

Next, install the lower line onto the cooler, hold the cooler in place, and then cut the line to fit onto the factory return line that you removed from the lower radiator fitting. The top fitting never needs to come off. This line will need to be bent a little bit. Thats pretty easy, use you're whole palm as a backing, and bend carefully. It doesn't have to move much, just enough so that it doesn't rub on the radiator or other line, but don't bend so much that you hit the crank pully.

Next, possibly the hardest part, you need to press the cooler retaining clips through the radiator or condensor. I went radiator, mostly because its the easiest to remove. This might be a good time for a coolant flush, 'cuz my way, you're going to lose fluid. You can pull the condensor out, but I'd be scared of breaking those old lines.

My hayden cooler took under 1/4 quart of fluid to bring the level of fluid back up. I think the correct way to check is with the car idling, in gear, but I'm not 100% on that.

Hope this helps, let me know if I wasn't clear in any of the steps.

[Modified by NoWorries, 10:00 PM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-13-2002, 12:34 AM
Speedracer176
Instructor

I would buy one. Alot of good info here.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:46 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I just recieved my SLP 2400 stall converter and was wondering if it's wise to buy one? I plan on visiting the drag strip a lot next year.
If so what kind and how much do they cost? And where is the best place to mount it?................please show me pics of yours. :)

Thanks!
What happened to ordering the 2800 stall?
Old 12-13-2002, 07:23 AM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one?? (NoWorries)

WOW!! NoWorries.......THANKS BUD!! :cheers: :cheers: Great info!!! And thanks to the rest of you for the pics and info! Gawd I love this place! :cheers: :cheers:

Ken.......I don't think SLP carries a 2800 stall for our Vettes, or at least they don't anymore. Maybe they would make one special if requested but off the shelf they only offer a 2400 stall. heres a link to what I bought.
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=60100
Old 12-13-2002, 08:18 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Ken.......I don't think SLP carries a 2800 stall for our Vettes, or at least they don't anymore. Maybe they would make one special if requested but off the shelf they only offer a 2400 stall. heres a link to what I bought.
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=60100
Hmm... The one I had was a 2800 stall and it flashed to 3050, I hope 2400 will be enough.

You really don't need a cooler with a 2400 stall, but it can't hurt.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:54 AM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one?? (L98Terror)

What doe my stock converter flash too?
Old 12-13-2002, 10:05 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Not sure Have you ever watched it? I'm thinking 1800-2000
Old 12-13-2002, 10:50 AM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one?? (L98Terror)

Not sure Have you ever watched it? I'm thinking 1800-2000
It seemed at little lower than that......around 1700 max. I could be wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Coolers.......should I get one??

Old 12-13-2002, 11:51 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one?? (VetBoy89)

I'm gonna do mine like this when I get it, I ordered a Hayden for $45 from http://www.transmissioncenter.net (they build the Raptor trannys).

Don at Transmission Center told me that with my 2500rpm TC that normal driving should be fine without it but if I'm gonna be racing it or driving long range a lot then I should get one. Since I drive 60 miles each way to work I figured I would get one, especially for that price.

[Modified by VetBoy89, 11:35 AM 12/12/2002]
Don't do this in a really cold climate. You want it to be warm, not cold. Coolant from your main radiator will keep it warm. With the extra cooler last, you might cool the tranny fluid a little low for very cold weather.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:07 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one?? (GlockLT4)

Don't do this in a really cold climate. You want it to be warm, not cold. Coolant from your main radiator will keep it warm. With the extra cooler last, you might cool the tranny fluid a little low for very cold weather.
I agree, I probably won't install it until spring (although it doesn't get to cold out here in CA). But for $45, it's nice to have it on the shelf if I need it. I am gonna install a trans temp guage so I can monitor it though. :cheers:
Old 12-13-2002, 06:31 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Transmission Coolers.......should I get one??

Magoo

Definitely install one. No Worries has a similar one to mine(Or I have one similar to His :D ) Mine was installed not too long ago by forum members ralph,and John Panuzzo(They also kept me quite entertained!) I don't recall the p.n., but the cooler is for 26,000 gvw,and it's stacked plate. It definitely helps with the heat. 700R's do NOT like heat so you can't go wrong.

If you need further info, e mail me. In the sig.

Seeya dude! :cheers:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Coolers.......should I get one??