C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car sitting idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 09:20 AM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car sitting idle

My 90 Vette has been sitting for over a year I just got the hood unstuck Now I have a battery charger hooked up to it I poured some Sta Bil in the gas tank along with a couple of cans of fresh gas I’m hoping it’s gonna start Any ideas on helping to get it running ?
Old 01-23-2021, 01:08 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 404 Posts

The addition of Sta-Bil was moot that goes in before storage, now I would have drained off the tank then put in fresh gas and tap the fuel test port and flushed the lines of old gas. Then would try to start car.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:27 PM
bartenderfloyd
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

It's a Chevy 350. It will burn anything (not literally but you get the drift). 2 years ago I started mine for the first time in 13 years with 13 year old gas in it. I changed the fuel filter, put in 2 bottles of seafoam, started the car and let it idle until it ran out of gas. Then I put in 5 gallons along with a can of seafoam and a bottle of techron. Let that idle until it ran out. Then I changed the fuel filter a second time, filled up the tank and drove it as normal. If the gas was only 1 year old I would have skipped all that and just drove it as usual. Maybe change the fuel filter if you experience problems. My guess is it is just fine to start it up and go.
The following users liked this post:
jazfe (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:20 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 318 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by bartenderfloyd
It's a Chevy 350. It will burn anything (not literally but you get the drift).
It's not the engine that's the issue, it's the injectors. After sitting that long, especially if it's E10, they can stick open and hydrolock the engine. Safer to turn it over with the plugs out first time and then make sure the fuel pressure holds. It depends if your risk adverse or not.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 PM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the battery charger on for a day no luck Gotta get a new battery this week
Old 01-25-2021, 04:45 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

Be sure to charge the new battery "completely" (Until it gases) before you install it in the Corvette.
"Mechanic In a Bottle" seems to work real well when you have old gasoline even with ethanol in it. Install a new fuel filter and get as much of the old gas out as you can.
I also changed the oil right away after getting it running.

I parked my C4 for a time and when I started it back up my fuel supply line was almost completely rusted shut and the car would not rev well or anything until I replaced the Fuel Pump and both Fuel lines. The car made pressure but did not have sufficient Volume to operate normally.

The same car had a brake line blow out in my driveway before I went out one day. Again Brake Fluid absorbs moisture and so does gasoline with Ethanol in it. Oxygenated Gasoline as they call it has a very short life expectancy and are only good for about 30 days in the car. I use Stabil on my garden equipment and it helps for a while longer.

As for your brakes just flush them every five years and they will last a lot longer. This is important and can be done more frequently than required depending on the owner. I use a Phoenix Reverse Bleeder and pump brake fluid up to the Master Cylinder from each corner. Now that I have new brake lines I will be sure to flush every five years.

The best thing to do when you have old gasoline is to siphon it out and get rid of it. After draining it I then flushed my fuel tank out and then washed it and used a shop vacuum to drain the WATER out. If there ANY fumes in the tank do not use your Electric Vacuum near the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Car sitting idle

Quick Reply: Car sitting idle