C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 to C7 brake conversion advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 11:56 AM
cavey211
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 to C7 brake conversion advice

Hi all,

I have a 1985 that I am currently restoring and upgrading the brakes is on my to-do list. I was planning on doing a C5 upgrade but I have a opportunity to get my hands on a complete set of C7 brakes with rotors. My question is....is it a realistic conversion or to much of a headache ??
I've done some searching but haven't come up with much info. Anyone have any advice or knowledge???

Thx
Todd
Old 09-22-2020, 09:36 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure about the 1985 spindle measurements but the later C4 seems to be possible in the front. The rear is possible with a new hub spacer/caliper mount. There is a vendor that builds replacement frames in AL that makes them for C6 but I don't think C7.

This link is to a post where someone put them on a later C4 with their own rear hub spacer/calipers mounts that they had made.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-upgrade.html

Some advice... the C5 is much more budget friendly and proven. If you're "getting your hands on a complete set of C7 brakes with rotors," for free, then it might be worth the effort and cost.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:57 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

i just completed installing c6 z06 brakes on my 91. some of it was just purchasing the correct parts and some was doing some head/*** scratching and modifying, but it is doable. what i need to do to finish up is fabricating a e-brake cable and getting a pair of wheels to clear the front calipers and the fenders. open the link from the member above and you will see some of the pitfalls along the way.

c6 z06 caliper compared to the c4 z51 caliper

c6 z06 caliper and rotor

another view

the spindle adapter from street sports? in alabama

rear c6 z06 brakes

Old 09-23-2020, 04:29 PM
cavey211
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SpedRacr93- Thanks for the advice, the C7 brakes I have were basically free so that's why I was considering doing that swap but was just leary with so little parts and support out there especially compared to doing a C5 or even C6 Z06 swap. I do have a set of C6 base brakes that maybe I should do instead.

Sleazy Rider - Great pics thx!!
Love the way the Z06 calipers look, bigger is better definitely applies to brakes!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 to C7 brake conversion advice

Quick Reply: C4 to C7 brake conversion advice