C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What's up with TPIS? Still in business?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 05:34 AM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Default What's up with TPIS? Still in business?

Does anyone know if TPIS is still in business? I ordered an A/C delete pulley for my 1990 C4 Corvette from them online, the part showed available and they took my money. Order details said I would be notified when item shipped. 5 days later no notification so I emailed asking about it, no response. A week later still no shipping notification so I phone, no answer, send another email, no response. Over a month later still no shipping notification and no response from many phone calls and emails.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:52 AM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yea they're still in business. I got a throttle body bypass part from them a couple of weeks ago. Charged my card immediately and shipped out the part a week later, the wrong part btw. Emailed them and they took care of the problem quickly. I bet they didn't actually have what you ordered "in stock" but listed it as "available" and now they're scrambling to source it all the while holding your money. Not a reputable business practice I know, but many of their products are well made with excellent quality for our C4's and can't be sourced anywhere else.
So do you want to wait for the part? If not dispute the charge with your cc company and move on. Others make an A/C delete pulley just not as nice as TPIS's piece.

Last edited by mako41; 06-21-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:16 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

I am in a similar situation with them. I ordered a few small parts that showed in stock and paid for expedited shipping. After a week with no notification of shipping I called them. The woman who answered the phone said it would ship out by the end of the week.

Now it is two weeks later and no response to either messages left or emails sent to them.

I was considering a new set of headers for my 1990 from them but with this kind of service it has me reconsidering where to buy them.

Summit Racing continues to deliver in a day or two so anything I need that is available from them will get them the business.
The following users liked this post:
formula80_ca (06-22-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 10:45 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 318 Likes on 272 Posts

It sounds like they won't be in business much longer.
FAUEE (06-21-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 05:15 AM
formula80_ca
Pro

Originally Posted by mako41
Yea they're still in business. I got a throttle body bypass part from them a couple of weeks ago. Charged my card immediately and shipped out the part a week later, the wrong part btw. Emailed them and they took care of the problem quickly. I bet they didn't actually have what you ordered "in stock" but listed it as "available" and now they're scrambling to source it all the while holding your money. Not a reputable business practice I know, but many of their products are well made with excellent quality for our C4's and can't be sourced anywhere else.
So do you want to wait for the part? If not dispute the charge with your cc company and move on. Others make an A/C delete pulley just not as nice as TPIS's piece.
I certainly would like the part I ordered from them, but after well over a month and counting and absolutely zero response from them to my many inquiries, it doesn't look like I can do anything but call my credit card company.

If you know of any other AC delete pulleys for a 1990, I'd like to know because I can't find any.

Thanks

Last edited by formula80_ca; 06-22-2020 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 06-22-2020, 08:42 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

Add me to the club. I ordered a happy hooker for a motor swap. Charged my card and emailed me later saying they don’t have them in stock. I was told they have no idea when material will show up and it will take another few weeks after that for a production run. It’s been a month and I’m still waiting for a refund.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:20 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Hey Chris, Did you manage to get the Hooker bolts you needed?
Old 06-22-2020, 09:28 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Add me to the club. I ordered a happy hooker for a motor swap. Charged my card and emailed me later saying they don’t have them in stock. I was told they have no idea when material will show up and it will take another few weeks after that for a production run. It’s been a month and I’m still waiting for a refund.
I have 1 that I used once. I can sell it to you if you want it. But IMHO a chain works fine (which is what I used to put the new engine in) $90.00 shipped.

Steve

Old 06-22-2020, 11:17 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

My understanding is TPIS was shut down by their state government earlier this year. If they are like us, things are still a bit chaotic due to a strange disruption.

Being they have supported the TPI/LT platform since the 90s, you might want to cut them some slack. We don't want another TPI supplier to go down.

Last edited by KyleF; 06-22-2020 at 11:18 AM.
tdereggi (06-28-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:52 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
Hey Chris, Did you manage to get the Hooker bolts you needed?
Ray, I did. I ust measured myself and found some grade 8 bolts at the local supply store. Should be pulling it this weekend!

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
I have 1 that I used once. I can sell it to you if you want it. But IMHO a chain works fine (which is what I used to put the new engine in) $90.00 shipped.

Steve
Steve, thanks for the offer i'll keep it in mind. Ray (above) was nice enough to loan me his all the way from England. Thanks Ray!
Old 06-22-2020, 01:28 PM
firefighter12986
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Im on the same boat trying to contact them. I actually did get an email from them last week they are affected by the COVID19 so they will be back little bit at a time

Brian
Old 06-22-2020, 02:01 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

You all have to remember, different states were shut down in different ways. You need to see where they are located and then see how bad the state was shut down before throwing bricks through their windows. Some states controlled by Democrats underwent (and are still underwenting) very draconian close downs.

Last edited by drcook; 06-22-2020 at 02:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcook:
vette196 (06-22-2020), zbo2 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 02:03 PM
KyleF
Drifting

New Jersey that was affected by NY IIRC
Old 06-22-2020, 03:06 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Myron and TPIS has supported the C4 platform since the 80's. They are not Summit. Maybe cut them some slack during these trying times.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:01 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Speaking for myself, I am cutting them plenty of slack - If you don't have a product and have no idea when it will be available, update your website and don't charge people for it. It's not that hard.

It's 2020 and that can be done from a couch while binging your favorite Netflix show.
The following 3 users liked this post by 9T3VETTE:
1993C4LT1 (06-27-2020), formula80_ca (06-22-2020), zbo2 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 04:26 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter12986
Im on the same boat trying to contact them. I actually did get an email from them last week they are affected by the COVID19 so they will be back little bit at a time

Brian
They weren't returning emails long before Covid and have been 'not so good' for a while imo. Just like everything else these days....
Old 06-22-2020, 08:12 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

It's 2020 and that can be done from a couch while binging your favorite Netflix show.
That is dependent on being web savvy. I know lots of folks who are really good at mechanics (or other stuff) that have no clue about a computer. If you don't and other people maintain your website, you are dependent on them. Just the fact that people here partake on the forum, puts them a step up on a goodly amount of the people in this country. Computers are still a magic box to a lot of people.
KyleF (06-23-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To What's up with TPIS? Still in business?

Old 06-22-2020, 09:12 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by drcook
That is dependent on being web savvy. I know lots of folks who are really good at mechanics (or other stuff) that have no clue about a computer. If you don't and other people maintain your website, you are dependent on them. Just the fact that people here partake on the forum, puts them a step up on a goodly amount of the people in this country. Computers are still a magic box to a lot of people.
I can appreciate that perspective, maybe I came off a bit brash. It just seems to be competitive in an e-commerce business such as this, their website should accurately reflect the current business landscape. If you don't have product to support sales, make damn sure customers know that. Otherwise they are just going to loose more money on wasted administrative actions and processing refunds for the lost sale.

Anyway, back on track....they are processing my refund.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:30 PM
formula80_ca
Pro

Yes, whether they are tech savvy and doing it themselves or paying someone else to update their website, it is fairly essential in today's online world.

If they can't keep their website reflecting the actual availability of stock at the very least they should be responding to emails or phone calls and explaining estimated time of shipping, etc. Putting their head in the sand and not dealing with it doesn't help customers and in the long run doesn't help their business.

Covid 19 has affected many businesses and I have been cognizant of this but after well over a month of zero communication after multiple inquiries I have to think someone just doesn't want to deal with me, even though they took my money.

It's too bad because the AC delete pulley I ordered looks like a very nice piece and can't find any others that fit a 1990.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:49 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by formula80_ca
Yes, whether they are tech savvy and doing it themselves or paying someone else to update their website, it is fairly essential in today's online world.

If they can't keep their website reflecting the actual availability of stock at the very least they should be responding to emails or phone calls and explaining estimated time of shipping, etc. Putting their head in the sand and not dealing with it doesn't help customers and in the long run doesn't help their business.

Covid 19 has affected many businesses and I have been cognizant of this but after well over a month of zero communication after multiple inquiries I have to think someone just doesn't want to deal with me, even though they took my money.

It's too bad because the AC delete pulley I ordered looks like a very nice piece and can't find any others that fit a 1990.
Then I guess you can do business with a better website and get poorer quality parts.

TPIS is a small company that was shut down by their state. I am guessing they don't run a large profit gap at the end of the year to just absorb all that. Please don't tell me you think your order is somehow unique and the only customer that needs attention.

Quick Reply: What's up with TPIS? Still in business?