C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pro-Flo XT EFI intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:14 PM
jazfe
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Pro-Flo XT EFI intake

How many folks are running the Pro-Flo XT EFI manifold and are you happy with it?
I have a dyno day scheduled in two weeks for my large tube edelbrock TPI set up but would change to the pro-flo if it is a better intake.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:53 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I like my pro-flo XT. It is still pulling strong when I hit my rev limiter at 6200. I was running a modified lt4 intake ( fast burn heads) but the pro-flow behaves better at low rpm's driving in traffic with a 6 speed.
The following users liked this post:
jazfe (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 11:08 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jazfe
How many folks are running the Pro-Flo XT EFI manifold and are you happy with it?
I have a dyno day scheduled in two weeks for my large tube edelbrock TPI set up but would change to the pro-flo if it is a better intake.
That's no small undertaking. A bit easier on an L98, as you have. a)You have a round hole and a rectangular throttle body. b)The tab on the top hits the hood c)The fuel rails don't fit.
It works, though. I'm going back to it. It would be on my car now if the ports lined up with LT4 heads.
FWIW:When I had my OE motor I had the ProFlo XT ported by Lingenfelter and they surmised it was better than a SuperRam. They didn't give me any numbers.
It looks cool, too.

Edit: It looks like RWDsmoke might have a better line on it then me.

Last edited by A95Y; 05-25-2020 at 11:13 PM.
jazfe (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 06:14 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

It does look cool and have thought about buying one. I havent becase i have been watching for remarks in here. Any problems with it and is it worth the money

Old 05-26-2020, 10:05 AM
jazfe
Pro

Thank you all for the replies.
A95Y - I read all of your thread on it........nice work. I do have the gen1 engine so the install would be a bit easier. There is a thread from dave 85 attached to yours and his approach seems reasonable to me. (Less items to purchase)
My biggest concern really is the lack of time I have before the dyno appointment (6-13). If I run into an unexpected issue and have to reschedule the dyno I will be into late summer and miss a lot of the driving season or maybe even all of it before I get another appointment and the engine is dialed in.
What I like most about the Edelbrock is that I can have the intake, fuel rail and a dyno tune for less than a miniram intake and rails. If I go the dave 85 route.
RWDsmoke - any hp/tq numbers for your set up? I don't have fast burn heads but I do have a new set that are supposed to flow 250cfm at .50 lift and a 212/220@.05 cam.
My first dyno came in at 242hp and 333tq with the 86 stock TPI intake, stock aluminum heads, hooker headers and the above cam. While the car is fun to drive it is not as much fun as I remember my 96 was.
Spencer Smith (04-18-2022)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:21 AM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

The pro-flo uses an ls1 throttle body. The throttle cable is on the passenger side so a longer cable is needed. The ls1 iac and tps sensors are cheap and wiring is easy, wire colors are the same. If you need a tv cable you will need to fabricate something. The edelbrock fuel rails are reasonably priced but new fuel lines must be fabricated. Performance wise, to me it was worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by RWDsmoke:
ghoastrider1 (02-20-2021), jazfe (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:56 AM
jazfe
Pro

RWDsmoke,
Really like the AIR pump delete you have.. would that unit still be available?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 AM
jazfe
Pro

RWDsmoke,
So you were able to get the intake under the hood without cutting off the top flange where the TB attaches?
I was under the impression that was not possible.
I have a small cap HEI distributor but have no experience with the remote coil for it. I can't imagine changing over is complicated.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:47 AM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

RWDsmoke,
Really like the AIR pump delete you have.. would that unit still be available?
I fabricated it at work myself.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:55 AM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

RWDsmoke,
So you were able to get the intake under the hood without cutting off the top flange where the TB attaches?
I was under the impression that was not possible.
I have a small cap HEI distributor but have no experience with the remote coil for it. I can't imagine changing over is complicated.
I used a truck throttle body I bought on Ebay. I did grind just a little where it was close to the hood but no big deal. Small cap conversion is just a matter of changing pigtail and adding coil bracket.

Last edited by RWDsmoke; 05-26-2020 at 11:57 AM. Reason: add info
PacerX (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 12:29 PM
jazfe
Pro

RWDsmoke,
Impressive fab skills you have.
I'm liking this intake more and more. TB should be easy to source then and a remote coil as well. I believe I have the necessary throttle cable extensions. (came with another intake I purchased)
Thanks so much for your info...........and all the other folks here............Sure makes working on these 30+ year old cars so much easier.
I have four days off next week so I'm gonna pull the trigger on this swap and do it.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:01 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Looked through the old thread on this and you guys have a done a great job simplifying this for others. Kudos!
jazfe (05-27-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 09:33 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the replies.
A95Y - I read all of your thread on it........nice work. I do have the gen1 engine so the install would be a bit easier. There is a thread from dave 85 attached to yours and his approach seems reasonable to me. (Less items to purchase)
Any chance you could provide a link to A95Y's post? Haven't been able to find it in the search. We're in the midst of an install right now on my 89.

Thank you!

Ron
Old 07-21-2020, 09:47 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Probably cause I changed my moniker a couple times. I didn't start the thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...xt-intake.html

BTW. I ended up running low 11's with that motor and intake. Never did get a dyno tune.

Last edited by A95Y; 07-21-2020 at 11:01 PM. Reason: e.t.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:28 AM
jazfe
Pro

All,
It's been awhile but I finally finished the Pro-Flo xt intake install. Takes a while to gather up all of the needed parts and especially to find the time.
My idle is awesome now and the car is so smooth to drive. I'm using 24lb injectors until the 36lb ones arrive. The ecm is telling me that I'm getting 27 mpg at 70 mph now. Black Bette never did that before.
Couple of pics, I know everyone likes pics.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Nice looking intake, longer than a LT but shorter than a TPi bet it works well.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:05 PM
jazfe
Pro

Did fire right up and idled like a new car. Set the base timing and TPS just as if it were a TPI system. Then I drove it and WHAT the HELL?.....................no power at all. Drive it like grandma and it's ok up to 3k rpm. Gets to highway speed if you keep the revs under 3k.
At first I was concerned the fuel injectors were too small for the new intake and heads, the engine just would not accept full throttle above 3k (and they probably are at stock 24lbs) but the article in SuperChevy mag said they were running 24lb injectors and getting well over 385hp and 418tq from a superram tune after swapping in the pro-flo xt.
Not injectors then..........what else. Got to thinking about timing since the distributor is not the one I used before. I took a drive with this in mind and slowly, very slowly rolled on the throttle and the engine revved up to 6k with power......Hmm. With the XT I had to swap in a small cap dizzy. Checked timing again and it was at 6 BTDC so assuming that was not nearly enough for this dizzy I dialed it up to the max on the timing marks and TADA, that helped tremendously. Gobs of power now and total drive-ability, no flat spots.
Question? Has anyone swapped in a small cap dizzy with remote coil with the same issues or am I looking at a slipped harmonic balancer?

Get notified of new replies

To Pro-Flo XT EFI intake

Old 09-09-2020, 04:30 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Did fire right up and idled like a new car. Set the base timing and TPS just as if it were a TPI system. Then I drove it and WHAT the HELL?.....................no power at all. Drive it like grandma and it's ok up to 3k rpm. Gets to highway speed if you keep the revs under 3k.
At first I was concerned the fuel injectors were too small for the new intake and heads, the engine just would not accept full throttle above 3k (and they probably are at stock 24lbs) but the article in SuperChevy mag said they were running 24lb injectors and getting well over 385hp and 418tq from a superram tune after swapping in the pro-flo xt.
Not injectors then..........what else. Got to thinking about timing since the distributor is not the one I used before. I took a drive with this in mind and slowly, very slowly rolled on the throttle and the engine revved up to 6k with power......Hmm. With the XT I had to swap in a small cap dizzy. Checked timing again and it was at 6 BTDC so assuming that was not nearly enough for this dizzy I dialed it up to the max on the timing marks and TADA, that helped tremendously. Gobs of power now and total drive-ability, no flat spots.
Question? Has anyone swapped in a small cap dizzy with remote coil with the same issues or am I looking at a slipped harmonic balancer?
Could also be a slipped balancer. Are you off a tooth? It sounds like its time to confirm TDC.

Last edited by KyleF; 09-09-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

X2^^^
Old 09-09-2020, 05:29 PM
jazfe
Pro

Thanks for the replies.
The dizzy dropped right back in where the old one came out but that isn't quality troubleshooting now is it?
I'll check TDC and see where the timing mark lands and go from there.

Quick Reply: Pro-Flo XT EFI intake