C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 10:51 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Headlight Upgrades

Anyone upgrading their lights on their C4? What did you use?
Old 05-14-2020, 08:01 PM
djpink889
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I went with these a few years ago after they were recommended on here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G72VIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G72VIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They install right in place of your old ones. These are set up to give a very crisp focused beam actually setup for driving on the roads. I am still using the bulbs that came with the setup and they're plenty good for me. You can use any H4 bulb you prefer although I do believe I read that you may need to upgrade the harness plug if you go too powerful. You'd want to research that first though. Like I said, the ones that are included are pretty good.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:39 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Be careful on the $60 LED 5x7 kits that a lot of people are recommending on here (for the whitish looks of the light), not actual real down road high speed night driving performance

i dont skimp on my c4.
if going LED’s I wouldnt do anything less than JW speaker, and thats $400 a pair

you get what you pay for
Old 05-14-2020, 09:29 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by djpink889

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They install right in place of your old ones. These are set up to give a very crisp focused beam actually setup for driving on the roads. I am still using the bulbs that came with the setup and they're plenty good for me. You can use any H4 bulb you prefer although I do believe I read that you may need to upgrade the harness plug if you go too powerful. You'd want to research that first though. Like I said, the ones that are included are pretty good.
At the bottom of your link, they show the housing, bulbs, and harness together.

I am just curious because after finishing the shifter last night, I took it out for a drive. I think it was the first time I had been in it at night in a long time... anyway, the lights suck! Right now, it is filed under possible upgrades.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:26 PM
ucfsaxman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djpink889

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with these and an HID kit looks great and I've had this setup for a bout 7 years.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:24 AM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 594 Likes on 447 Posts

I don't know what year you have, but I did a writeup on converting the '91-'96 to LEDs. The LED headlights I have are $86, so no they're not JW Speaker $400 headlights. But they were an actual great upgrade over stock; I could actually see signs and lane markers at a distance, and they have a sharp cutoff so as not to blind oncoming drivers. I suppose it could turn out in a few months that they'll stop working or start flickering or something, but so far they've been great.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Theman5 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 12:35 AM
Theman5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed a set of LEDs from Amazon on 1986. Pleased with color, brightness and beam pattern. Slight modification to headlight bucket was needed to fit.
Currently $86 for a pair

Amazon Amazon

​​​​​
Old 05-15-2020, 12:39 AM
Theman5
Pro

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
I don't know what year you have, but I did a writeup on converting the '91-'96 to LEDs. The LED headlights I have are $86, so no they're not JW Speaker $400 headlights. But they were an actual great upgrade over stock; I could actually see signs and lane markers at a distance, and they have a sharp cutoff so as not to blind oncoming drivers. I suppose it could turn out in a few months that they'll stop working or start flickering or something, but so far they've been great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G31G4VB
Did you have to do any modification?
Old 05-15-2020, 09:24 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by Theman5
I installed a set of LEDs from Amazon on 1986. Pleased with color, brightness and beam pattern. Slight modification to headlight bucket was needed to fit.
Currently $86 for a pair

https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-He.../dp/B07G31G4VB

​​​​​
What modifications were required to fit? Also, any modifications to the wiring harness? Says it is plug in play, but they don't always tell the truth.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:33 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Be careful on the $60 LED 5x7 kits that a lot of people are recommending on here (for the whitish looks of the light), not actual real down road high speed night driving performance

i dont skimp on my c4.
if going LED’s I wouldnt do anything less than JW speaker, and thats $400 a pair

you get what you pay for
I feel you, I don't skimp on mine either, but I also don't believe in just buying the most expensive option because it is expensive. $400/pair isn't bad if it only saves the car from a deer 1 time. Perspective Are they really that much better? So, for all these options, is there no wiring modifications? Was that just the older HID kits that required wiring modifications and ballast to be installed?

I am not a wiring and electrical expert.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:43 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by KyleF
I feel you, I don't skimp on mine either, but I also don't believe in just buying the most expensive option because it is expensive. $400/pair isn't bad if it only saves the car from a deer 1 time. Perspective Are they really that much better? So, for all these options, is there no wiring modifications? Was that just the older HID kits that required wiring modifications and ballast to be installed?

I am not a wiring and electrical expert.
these recommendations come from Daniel Stern lighting bc he IS an automotive lighting expert.

he also recommended ‘truck-lite 5x7 ‘ as well but youll pay $325 per pair for those.

by that point, id just rather get the best.

oh yeah and dont go off of advertised lumens. Its a theoretical output based on adding together the chipsets lumen output.

theres thermal and optic losses that arent being unaccounted for
Old 05-15-2020, 10:16 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
these recommendations come from Daniel Stern lighting bc he IS an automotive lighting expert.

he also recommended ‘truck-lite 5x7 ‘ as well but youll pay $325 per pair for those.

by that point, id just rather get the best.

oh yeah and dont go off of advertised lumens. Its a theoretical output based on adding together the chipsets lumen output.

theres thermal and optic losses that arent being unaccounted for
I am not seeing those prices... is this the one you are talking about? They are a bit cheaper.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:27 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

This ... you dont want the ones with the expensive lense heaters (unless you drive in snow/ice)

i would call JW Speaker’s tech support, tell them what you have and just double check this would work best.

KyleF (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 10:41 AM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 594 Likes on 447 Posts

Did you have to do any modification?
I did not. They fit into the buckets and the chrome trim ring held them in place as stock, and the wires plugged straight into the harness as stock. They aren't a perfect fit, but thanks to that trim ring they are held in place properly and aligned.
KyleF (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 12:03 PM
Theman5
Pro

What modifications were required to fit? Also, any modifications to the wiring harness? Says it is plug in play, but they don't always tell the truth.
On the 1986 The first side I did extensive mod to the bucket housing. Second side I only had to drill a hole for heat sink to clear. Probably the first side just needed the hole drilled also. No wiring mod needed.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:10 PM
Theman5
Pro

FYI: I contacted 'headlight revolution' which wants you to believe they do extensive testing about the amazon LEDs. Of course they aren't the hundred of dollar ea ones they sell. I never heard anything back on it. If they did compare them to the $$$ ones and it showed well, they might not publish that info for they sell the high $$$ ones. mI basically used their videos to compare to the amazon ones. I was very impressed as already mentioned. I don't have a lux meter like them so I couldn't measure the effective amount like them.. But I will say is don't squat down and look into the beam !!

Plus the amazon one should be returnable if they don't work out for you !!

Last edited by Theman5; 05-15-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 PM
KyleF
Drifting

I don't have a lux meter like them so I couldn't measure the effective amount like them.
There is an app for that. I deal with industrial safety as part of my job... it is surprisingly accurate on my S10 Note +.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Upgrades

Old 05-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Theman5
Pro

There is an app for that. I deal with industrial safety as part of my job... it is surprisingly accurate on my S10 Note +.
ha , wouldn’t be surprised ! My eyes luxe meter says they are for the money especially a thumbs up !!👍

I have a phone with a Flir IR camera , but no lux
Old 05-15-2020, 04:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,954 Posts

I got a set of Genssi and used THIS to make the LED work without cutting, splicing, etc.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:54 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

FYI: I contacted 'headlight revolution' which wants you to believe they do extensive testing about the amazon LEDs. Of course they aren't the hundred of dollar ea ones they sell. I never heard anything back on it. If they did compare them to the $$$ ones and it showed well, they might not publish that info for they sell the high $$$ ones. mI basically used their videos to compare to the amazon ones. I was very impressed as already mentioned. I don't have a lux meter like them so I couldn't measure the effective amount like them.. But I will say is don't squat down and look into the beam !!

Plus the amazon one should be returnable if they don't work out for you !!

a lot of those websites rig their reviews to favor what they sell and dog what they dont

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrades