C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 tach not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 06:24 PM
94 blackBeast
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 87 tach not working

Took the 87 I inherited from my dad in to the transmission shop. The front pump was gone. They rebuilt the trans. after they install it and take it for a drive they tell me the tach isn't working. The tach worked fine before it went in. In fact the cluster had been restored not long ago.They cant figure out anything they would've done to cause the issue. any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:27 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 401 Posts

Start with the Tach wire on the Distributor cap they may have knocked it loose, if you don't loosen or remove it it can get beat up on fire wall . Give a good look make sure they didn't pinch any wire's
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 PM
94 blackBeast
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by s carter
Start with the Tach wire on the Distributor cap they may have knocked it loose, if you don't loosen or remove it it can get beat up on fire wall . Give a good look make sure they didn't pinch any wire's
yeah first thing I thought of. It's clicked in this tributary of unclipped it clipped it back. You can actually see the wire going down to the filter, resistor. But I can't see where it comes out the other side of that. Mounted down on the Block just above the transmission
Old 04-08-2020, 07:47 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

The wire goes from distributor to tach filter which is bolted to block. There should be a wire out of filter (white wire brown plug that connects to car harness
Old 04-08-2020, 09:33 PM
94 blackBeast
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah just can't see it coming out of the other side of the filter. Wondering if it has come in plugged. It worked fine before going in. Now you start the car it all lights up. It is on driving. Just registers 0
Old 04-09-2020, 05:26 PM
94 blackBeast
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Was able to get windshield washer motor off and get my hand back there. The smashed the wire coming out of the loom in between the trans and block
Old 04-09-2020, 06:24 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Good news bad then.
glad you found the problem, now what to do about it, correct thing back to shop out with trans repair wires or do you think if trans bolts are loosened a bit they could be freed and repaired.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 PM
94 blackBeast
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I called the shop. He said hopefully they can just Lee's Summit transmission up pull it back pull it out if it's damaged they will repair it solder it heat shrink it. Whatever it takes. I still have the joy of putting the wiper motor back in

Get notified of new replies

To 87 tach not working

Quick Reply: 87 tach not working