C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Should I LS Swap my Crossfire C4 or Rebuild the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 05:53 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bowtie racing
LS all the way.
I don’t know whether you noticed but he has made a decision and built an engine. Maybe you just have a slow internet connection.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:56 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bills84
No not yet, tomorrow is dyno day for her. I got the engine 100% complete last night, with the exception of the braided line for the pcv. I have to dial in the bell housing either tomorrow night or Thursday. Hopefully I wont need any offset dowels that have to be ordered. If all goes well im installing her this weekend. Here is a pic of the completed engine (excuse the mess around it lol)
Looks nice Bill. I like that Chevy timing cover. The intake reminds me of an old Edlebrock Victor Jr .
The following users liked this post:
eutu1984 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 07:29 PM
Bills84
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GregMartin
Looks nice Bill. I like that Chevy timing cover. The intake reminds me of an old Edlebrock Victor Jr .
Thanks Greg, Yes it looks like the old Victor Jr. The dyno went great today. I am about to post its outcome and dyno video I hit my 400 hp target 😀
Old 05-13-2020, 07:44 PM
Bills84
Instructor

Todays dyno cam break in and a few pulls tas a total success. We wound up breaking the cam in using a carb because it was what the guy running the dyno was comfortable with to get the rpm up out of the gate. The engine started right up we broke the cam in then changed back to my 1:6 rockers and did 3 pulls. In the end the 3rd pull netted 408 hp and 435 ft lbs of torque. Max hp was at 5200 Max torque was at 4600. Here is a video of pull number 2 that averaged about 375-380 i think I have to say that I am very impressed with the Edelbrock pro flow 4 setup when we switched to the EFI and Edelbrock setup, once the base tune was in via its Questions setup pages it started on a tap of the starter and maintained a 13.4:1 afr without hunting. On hard pulls it dropped down to the 12.5 I programmed in without skipping a beat Ok, I have been trying to insert the 22 second video but don’t know if it uploaded
The following 2 users liked this post by Bills84:
eutu1984 (05-13-2020), yakmastermax (02-24-2023)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:13 PM
fparkin
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

great looking motor glad it runs well, should be fun in car to drive
Old 05-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Bills84
Instructor

Originally Posted by fparkin
great looking motor glad it runs well, should be fun in car to drive
Thanks, My son deserves the credit for the color coordination. He picked the timing chain cover, valve covers and breathers He even picked out the colors for all the areoquip fittings lol Thats ok, At least I got to paint the engine black, the LQ9 in his Camaro is purple 😬
fparkin (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:29 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Todays dyno cam break in and a few pulls tas a total success. We wound up breaking the cam in using a carb because it was what the guy running the dyno was comfortable with to get the rpm up out of the gate. The engine started right up we broke the cam in then changed back to my 1:6 rockers and did 3 pulls. In the end the 3rd pull netted 408 hp and 435 ft lbs of torque. Max hp was at 5200 Max torque was at 4600. Here is a video of pull number 2 that averaged about 375-380 i think I have to say that I am very impressed with the Edelbrock pro flow 4 setup when we switched to the EFI and Edelbrock setup, once the base tune was in via its Questions setup pages it started on a tap of the starter and maintained a 13.4:1 afr without hunting. On hard pulls it dropped down to the 12.5 I programmed in without skipping a beat Ok, I have been trying to insert the 22 second video but don’t know if it uploaded
That’s great Bill
I don’t think you can post a video directly, you need to post a link. So you could make a YouTube video (who knows you might become the next YouTube sensation) alternatively you could post a link to a google drive or something like that. I hope you figure it out a SBC at full noise is a lovely sound.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:52 AM
Bills84
Instructor

That’s great Bill
I don’t think you can post a video directly, you need to post a link. So you could make a YouTube video (who knows you might become the next YouTube sensation) alternatively you could post a link to a google drive or something like that. I hope you figure it out a SBC at full noise is a lovely sound.

Dyno screen during pulls

I gave up on a video. here is a pic of the screen during a dyno run
Old 05-14-2020, 09:20 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Dyno screen during pulls

I gave up on a video. here is a pic of the screen during a dyno run
That computer is almost as old as you corvette
it’s good mate. Is the engine on an engine dyno or is it back in the car?
Old 05-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Bills84
Instructor

That computer is almost as old as you corvette
it’s good mate. Is the engine on an engine dyno or is it back in the car?
Lol, the dyno itself may be older. That dyno is at Jack Merkel Racing by me. The place has been around probably 60 years That was on the engine dyno. I am hoping to install it back in the car this weekend. When I get home from work tonight I am going to index my bell housing and hopefully I won’t need to get offset dowels.

Last edited by Bills84; 05-14-2020 at 10:52 AM.
eutu1984 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:27 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Lol, the dyno itself may be older. That dyno is at Jack Merkel Racing by me. The place has been around probably 60 years That was on the engine dyno. I am hoping to install it back in the car this weekend. When I get home from work tonight I am going to index my bell housing and hopefully I won’t need to get offset dowels.
That’s excellent I love those old speed shops.
Bills84 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Bills84
Instructor

OK, I started striping out the wiring harness of all the old computer sensors and control of the engine when I got home from work today. The new Edelbrock fuel injection is a real simple 3 wire system ignition start run, battery + & -. I know the front temp sensor on the intake is for the computer and the one between the cylinders on the right side is for the gauge but are the sensors themselves interchangeable ( same impedance). I am finding that trying to find engine sensors in local part stores is almost impossible. In addition almost every sensor connector is heat soaked, brittle and disintegrating. Does anyone have part numbers for sensors that are standard blade connectors? I did get the correct oil pressure sender from Autozone, it was delivered yesterday. I basically need the part numbers for the gauge oil and water temperatures that I can just use a female spade connector or typical plug on. Also, I was going to use the pink (key on) distributor wire for the Key on input on the Edelbrock Pro flow 4 system. anyone have any input?

Last edited by Bills84; 05-14-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:48 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I have found that RockAuto has most of the pigtails and hard to find parts. Especially if you have the part numbers.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 PM
Bills84
Instructor

Originally Posted by cadmaniac
I have found that RockAuto has most of the pigtails and hard to find parts. Especially if you have the part numbers.
Thanks, I use rock auto all the time but these days having stuff shipped is insane and I was under time constraints. I actually found the resistance charts for the temp senor and bought a new version that has a standard connector
Old 05-21-2020, 05:58 PM
Bills84
Instructor

OK, now I am totally screwed. I have the engine back in the Vette but my new problem is that I have no hood clearance for an air cleaner or the distributor. I initially thought it was just a air cleaner clearance problem. I called Edelbrock and they said I needed to use their vintage air cleaner part number 4222, but they don't make it anymore but said its out on the Internet. I found one on feabay for $145 , it was low profile and cool looking so I ordered it. I had already bought their cheep pro flow 100 air cleaner so I put it on last night just to protect the engine overnight. This morning I could not open the hood. When I got the hood open open I found a dent in the air cleaner from the hood. I then decided to put the distributor cap on with wires and modelers clay on top to check clearance, there is none. I have a feeling I am cutting the top of the cowl off the hood this weekend , adding 2" and re-glassing the top back in to make it look original. I also have to cut out and glass in a new bucket for where the distributor sits. If anyone has an alternative idea I would appreciate it and am open to suggestions.

Last edited by Bills84; 05-21-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:16 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

I don’t understand Bill why is the distributor a different hight? How does it compare to the standard corvette distributor? It’s a ECU controlled one correct, not a vacuum and weights arrangement? Is there something funny with the engine mounts.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:52 PM
Bills84
Instructor

I don’t understand Bill why is the distributor a different hight? How does it compare to the standard corvette distributor? It’s a ECU controlled one correct, not a vacuum and weights arrangement? Is there something funny with the engine mounts.
I was puzzled too as to why it sits higher The distributor they provide appears to be an MSD distributor. The cap is an old chevy type with male plugs for the wires. Their distributor gets even better after that. The rotor for it is a ford 6 cylinder engine rotor from like a 1990 ford astro part# FD308 ( please dont ask how I figured that out 🤦‍♂️) From what I can tell is that the plug wire connectors on the cap are male which raises the height .5 -.75 “ Looking at the pics you can see the coil wire is higher than the weather stripping. The second pic is of the modelers clay i used to check clearance height, and i did not even close the hood fully , thats at the point where its resting on the alignment pins for the hood. I guess so much for Edelbrock saying it fits under the hood of an 84 Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I LS Swap my Crossfire C4 or Rebuild the Engine

Old 05-21-2020, 07:11 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

I was puzzled too as to why it sits higher The distributor they provide appears to be an MSD distributor. The cap is an old chevy type with male plugs for the wires. Their distributor gets even better after that. The rotor for it is a ford 6 cylinder engine rotor from like a 1990 ford astro part# FD308 ( please dont ask how I figured that out 🤦‍♂️) From what I can tell is that the plug wire connectors on the cap are male which raises the height .5 -.75 “ Looking at the pics you can see the coil wire is higher than the weather stripping. The second pic is of the modelers clay i used to check clearance height, and i did not even close the hood fully , thats at the point where its resting on the alignment pins for the hood. I guess so much for Edelbrock saying it fits under the hood of an 84 Corvette.

No man that’s not right. Can you use your corvette distributor instead? Alternatively they must have another distributor option for you. That’s ridiculous, look how tall it is. Unless the photo is making it look out of proportion, I’d like to see the Chevy cap next to it.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:18 PM
fparkin
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

this suck but happen when motors are changed edelbrock don't make a diffent one
Old 05-22-2020, 12:42 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

You could always go with a crank trigger system. I did it and will do it again when I find another worthy gen 1 SBC vehicle. Megajolt Lite Jr. Is what I used previously. It needs a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank and uses Ford EDIS 8 coils. I carved the 36-1 trigger wheel by hand with a die grinder on the back of the crank pulley, made a custom mount for the sensor and installed a Moroso oil pump drive that basically sits flush at the distributor hole and opened up a lot of space. You can get the MJLJ setup of with MAP or TPS (TPS is better for wild cams) and you get a 10x10 timing table you tune with the laptop. I think I spent $250 total. It is also a wasted spark system and it works wonders with carbed engines. When I got that SBC tuned up it was the cleanest running carbed vehicle I have ever witnessed. The boys at the track said they had never seen a hillbilly setup like that before.

My 2 dr 84 S10 Blazer went from running 14.5s to 14.0s when I swapped from HEI over to the MJLJ.

Needs a lot of research but I loved the setup when it was done and it fired up on the first key turn.

Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Should I LS Swap my Crossfire C4 or Rebuild the Engine