C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

For my 96 LT4 - long tube headers or LT4 hotcam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 05:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

No, a cam most certainly does NOT "need" long tubes. Especially in the case of a car with an already efficient exhaust. That post is implying that a cam won't work (meet goals) w/o headers and that is pure BFS.
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Way back in the day, I swapped a cam in my first car; an '83 Trans Am. I bought a Summit brand cam and lifter kit for $89.99. I put it in myself and that was IT. No springs, no rockers, no tune/jetting, nothing....literally just the cam and lifters, intake, valve and timing cover gaskets. I picked up a full second and 9 mph in the 1/4. Can't beat it.
After monolith catalytic converters came along, there weren't many (if any) cars that had a worse exhaust system than the 3rd Gen F-body. From the head flange to the tail pipes, the entire system was total, restrictive garbage. And I picked up a full second with only a cam. I'd have picked up another full second with LT headers, good Y, cat and cat back...but that would have cost another $1000 (back then). I paid ~$100.00 and got a full second/9mph...it worked damn good, even w/o headers. Cam only isn't ideal...but it works.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:17 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 467 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbill ws6/ss
The cam appeared to do so great because the car already had longtubes. You MUST install longtubes before or during cam install. A cam needs longtubes
i agree with this thought, my opinion is start with the headers and then do the cam. Do both.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:45 AM
wildbill ws6/ss
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a cam will not be nearly as effective without long tubes. Anyone who knows anything knows that much. Get out of here bro. Not a chance I'm installing a cam without long tubes and exhaust first.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by wildbill ws6/ss
a cam will not be nearly as effective without long tubes. Anyone who knows anything knows that much. Get out of here bro. Not a chance I'm installing a cam without long tubes and exhaust first.
No ****? REALLY? Did I say otherwise? No I didn't, so GTF out of here, "Bro".

What I said was (pay attention, here)....
a cam most certainly does NOT "need" long tubes. Especially in the case of a car with an already efficient exhaust. That post is implying that a cam won't work (meet goals) w/o headers and that is pure BFS.
Of course a cam (and heads, and intake, and....) will work better with headers. Of course. But a cam will also work (make gains) without headers, too. Not as much gain, but potentially a big gain, and especially, a big gain for the $$. The OP doesn't sound like he can afford both at the same time. Will the cam alone, help? Damn right it will. Should he add headers when he can? Sure he should, but the cam alone will work.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:53 PM
CharlieNC
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I read in Vizard's SBC book that porting and polishing internals of the cast iron exhaust manifold provided 2/3 the hp as long tube headers. An outfit ( I think CA) does this for $369, including slurry honing. Nice sleeper touch and no installation headaches.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:16 PM
bscot968
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 96 lt4

I’ve some experience modifying the C4 LT’s, my current car is a 96 LT4 coupe. The old adage about “how much power do you want, how much money do you have” is quite true. I have always encouraged the package approach and don’t half *** stuff. I encourage guys to be patient and PUT SOME MONEY ASIDE. Be cognizant of thinking air in, air out. I recommend doing a “package” approach because people are often disappointed with the power from a single mod like headers. If you’ve a stock engine, recognize there are certain constraints. I would start with air box/cleaner, TB, good quality shorty headers and cat., and a stainless exhaust from a reputable manufacturer. Then, very importantly, find a tuner with some experience on the OBD2. Doing these mods together will have a more satisfying seat-of-the pants feel. The next “package” is to do a cam with the appropriate intake and heads porting. Putting a big cam in a stock engine is kinda dumb because of the inefficiency/restriction of the other stock components, you leave lots of HP behind and burn a lot more fuel. Good luck with your project!
Old 07-02-2020, 08:34 PM
LUDS 96
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Went with the gears. Dana 44 swap found a stock 3.54 setup. Ten years love it.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:59 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

It's called an LT4 Hot Cam for a reason. A Hot Cam kit will give you everything you need, springs and cam, Reuse the stock 1.6 roller rockers and roller lifters, Spring for some new valve stem seals and you're good to go. Your not gonna get more bang for your buck. When I did my Hot Cam in my LT4 I also sprang for a set of new lifters and a new timing chain. As close to a true "drop in" as you're gonna get..

Quick Reply: For my 96 LT4 - long tube headers or LT4 hotcam?