C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I'm SCREWED!!! Can you identify anything here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 03:02 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: I'm SCREWED!!! Can you identify anything here? (sspackman)

Dude I was just joking. Hope the family gets better.

As for the bolts. I would recommend a set of ARP from Summit Racing. They will be the best for your application. You don't want to skimp on items as important as that. I also replaced the intake bolts with them :cheers:

Keep us posted on the progress. If you have a digi camera we can pretty much walk you though anything.

Jesse
Old 11-20-2002, 05:12 PM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I'm SCREWED!!! Can you identify anything here? (ski_dwn_it)

OK, I updated the list up above with all of the information so far.

I can't believe how many people replied on here with so much information about what was what. It is all going to be very useful. Thank you!! I can't do this without you! Now on to this weekend or next when the newer bolts arrive and I get my new head bolts too. I'm checking out SummitRacing.com right now (thanks again ski_dwn_it).

Old 11-20-2002, 11:33 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't believe how many people replied on here with so much information about what was what. It is all going to be very useful. Thank you!! I can't do this without you! Now on to this weekend or next when the newer bolts arrive and I get my new head bolts too. I'm checking out SummitRacing.com right now (thanks again ski_dwn_it)
So, when the next guy wanders in here with the same questions, you'll be able to straighten him out in no time. Nice little system. It's how the pyramids were built. "Books? hell, we don't need no damn books!"

If you need any pics, pop me a message, IM or something. I'll probably be digging into my vette this weekend with some of the new parts I've got coming in the mail.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:06 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: I'm SCREWED!!! Can you identify anything here? (CentralCoaster)

This is fun! Glad it's not me though.. ;)

One of the larger bolts has the head ground down, like a bite was taken out of it. This one goes directly under the A/C compressor, bolting the bracket into the cylinder head. (It's notched to clear the A/C pulley)

The valve covers on my '85 are held down with 1-1/4" or so bolts, not nuts, as someone else previously mentioned. I don't see the bolts in this pic though. In my pics i linked for you, "1357valvetrain" shows one of the valve cover bolts very clearly. They also bolt down the sparkplug wire brackets. (it's still attached to one of these in the photo) All 8 bolts are the same.

#7 is the belt tensioner bolt.

#27 is one of the waterpump bolts. The A/C bracket slides onto the rest of it after the waterpump is bolted down.

#40 is one of 3 tapered thread bolts that holds in the Air Accumulator bracket, or it could also go on the coolant overflow tank.

#25 is the rear bolt for the thermostat housing. A ground wire goes on it above the middle bolt head, and a nut tightens on top of this.

#41 or #38 hold on the plastic vaccum line box thingy on the passenger side that is in the way of accessing the distributor hold down bolt (when the intake is in place!). 4 screws like this also hold down the black plastic strips that covers the injector wiring harness right above the valve covers (2 screws on each side)

#20 are maybe the egr bolts?

#1 looks like three of the fuel rail to intake base bolts. These have torx heads on them, unlike someone else may have said.

#2 bolts attach intake base to heads.

#15 hold the throttle body to the front of the upper intake plenum

#3... when installing the intake runners to the base, there's one bolt on each side that goes in at an angle, and backwards from the others. They're a little longer than the others (#4)

#18 hold the throttle cables bracket to the upper intake plenum.

#36 drivers side intake runners to intake plenum. the throttle cables slide onto the shaft part that sticks out. This is the upper middle bolt. The other 3 on the drivers side, and 4 on the passenger side are torx head bolts with the same size & length threads. probably some of the ones in group #4

It looks like your missing some bolts. I see quite a few groups of three.

[Modified by CentralCoaster, 10:06 PM 11/20/2002]
Old 11-21-2002, 03:10 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my suggestion:

Step 1: Buy factory service manual.

Step 2: Find someone who has put small block chevy motor back togther.

GM mixed SAE and Metric hardware on the vette engine because they did not want to retool the small block. This means that most of the bolts that go into engine block are SAE.

Old 11-21-2002, 02:27 PM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I'm SCREWED!!! Can you identify anything here? (CentralCoaster)

Thanks CentralCoaster for all of the great information! I have updated the post at the top with it. That must have taken some good time huh? Well hell yes the next person that wanders in here with the same questions, I'm all over it! This will be a walk in the park Kazanski :D

AquaMetallic94LT1, I have already laid out $85 some cash for the Helm shop manual and have read through it twice. So far so good. It does not however tell me the bolt sizes or I'd be good to go. However I felt it was extremely necessary to spend the money as part of this process to get all of the tools in place necessary to make this project a success! The book just says things like "Remove the distributor" and "Remove the rocker arm covers". At least it does tell me the torque down levels.

I have purchased new bolts and they are on their way!

By process of elimination I will be able to take the new bolts and successfully eliminate the old ones one by one. I'm sure that will help.

The next thing is that I called Summit Racing and asked them about the head bolts for the SBC TPI engine. He said that there are only 12 bolts that go to it. I told him that there were a lot more, 3 different sizes in fact and he was really puzzled. Am I smokin' somethin? I'm pretty sure from everything you guys have helped me with that there are 3 different sizes. I'm working on that right now so I can get the proper bolts on the way.

Thanks again for all of your time and help in getting this together. It will be a success thanks to you.

Shayne
Old 11-21-2002, 02:49 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

I think you'll like those bolts from Alloy, and it's cool because he packages them in seperate bags that are labelled with where they go. :yesnod:

I'm gonna be out of town for the next two days but this weekend I will scan some of my parts book pages for you and send them to you, they have most part numbers with sizes and an exploded view picture. It's not real easy to decipher where everything goes but it might be easier for you since you have the parts in front of you. Let me know your email and I will send them to that. :seeya
Old 11-21-2002, 02:54 PM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I'm SCREWED!!! Can you identify anything here? (VetBoy89)

Cool...I will send my email address to you. Thanks!!

[Modified by sspackman, 3:18 PM 12/2/2002]

Quick Reply: I'm SCREWED!!! Can you identify anything here?