C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help selecting cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 12:42 PM
weedwhacker
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help selecting cam

Hey guys need some help. I’m new to gm world so trying to find the right cam and associated parts is making my head hurt. Can someone tell me a good street cam and 1.6 rockers rods springs and lifters I should buy? Link me perhaps? Pulling the heads on my 1994 to have sent off to be cleaned and going to reseal the motor up. Going to get a timing set and possibly have the block sent off as well. Will never race the car just daily it
Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

I'd pass on the cam. There are so many places to make improvements on the L98. Unfortunately, intakes and headers with a dyno tune won't be as sexy as a cam swap but will probably yield more than a stockish cam with a stock tune on a stock motor.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:52 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ 1994 was an LT1 not L98. If you are only going to do a camshaft maybe look at the GMPP Hotcam.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

**** a hot cam home boy, that **** is 30 year old technology.

Get on some new lobe design **** and make some power
The following 2 users liked this post by Pwnage1337:
BLKMAMBA (10-17-2019), ghoastrider1 (10-02-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 08:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
^^^ 1994 was an LT1 not L98. If you are only going to do a camshaft maybe look at the GMPP Hotcam.
My bad. Maybe a more aggressive cam that produces better results with a set of headers and a tune? Wouldn't you be limiting yourself with a Hotcam and a stock tune vs a more aggressive cam with a dyno tune to match? It would cost the same to install either way.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:59 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Is the car an auto or manual trans? If it is an auto can't go much more aggressive than the Hot Cam with the stock converter. Also, he is saying it's a daily driver.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:01 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Is the car an auto or manual trans? If it is an auto can't go much more aggressive than the Hot Cam with the stock converter. Also, he is saying it's a daily driver.
Many are running more than what a hotcam can provide as a daily driver. My 383 is a daily driver. It drives in the rain, shine, night, winter, etc. Only time it won't drive is in the snow.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:06 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Okay you win, I'm not hear to argue. Was just giving my opinion on what little information was given.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:48 PM
weedwhacker
Intermediate

When I say daily driver I mean take it out and enjoy it. This is my fifth car so it won’t get a whole lot of driving but it will see trips to run errands, take kid to school maybe use to commute 2 hours for work.

What are some some of the newer cams to check out. It’s also an auto car but it’s getting the 4l60e refreshed and going with a 2800 stall.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:46 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The stock computer can deal with the Hot Cam from everything I have read. More than that requires the ECM be tuned.

I don't know how many tuners are left down the OP's way in Columbus Oh, south on 71 from me, but up here in the Akron area, not too many. There is PCMforLess here that is within driving distance of Columbus.

You will have to add that to the cost if you go more aggressive.

Last edited by drcook; 09-30-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by weedwhacker
When I say daily driver I mean take it out and enjoy it. This is my fifth car so it won’t get a whole lot of driving but it will see trips to run errands, take kid to school maybe use to commute 2 hours for work.

What are some some of the newer cams to check out. It’s also an auto car but it’s getting the 4l60e refreshed and going with a 2800 stall.
I'd really check with someone who will re-tune your chip and ask them what stall and what cam.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drcook
The stock computer can deal with the Hot Cam from everything I have read. More than that requires the ECM be tuned.

I don't know how many tuners are left down the OP's way in Columbus Oh, south on 71 from me, but up here in the Akron area, not too many. There is PCMforLess here that is within driving distance of Columbus.

You will have to add that to the cost if you go more aggressive.
From what I read, you are right. It does seem like a waste to me to hobble yourself with a cam that is so similar to the stock system but the cost to install is the same
Old 10-01-2019, 05:46 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

There us nothing wrong with the hother cam, it will give a nice boost and still be daily drivable. You could call the tech line at comp cams and discuss options with them.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:29 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Considering all that will go with it, (cost wise) I would go with a hotcam..... But with any cam, you are going to need, at a mim. new springs....
One of the advantages of the hotcam is, since it has been used in so many vettes, a mail order tune from someone such as pcmforless will be very accurate, and much cheaper then a dyno tune. And IMO you should get it tuned.

I had the hotcam, a set of hand ported heads, headers, stock exhaust, and IMO optimized drivetrain. (4.10 gears, 3000 stall converter., light weight wheels, slicks) The car went a best of 117.3 mph with a 11.71 ET
I always hear these rumors of better cam, etc. But have yet to see it. Now I know there are cams that can make more power, but they are at the cost of driveablilty......
Old 10-01-2019, 08:40 AM
jayjones
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

I got really into the weeds with cam discussions for LT1. Terms like hot cam and small cam and big cam are misleading. Our engines don't have variable cam timing and no forced induction, so anything you gain from duration in one area of the RPM range, you're going to lose in another area. Some bonus gains come from extra lift via lobe or rocker geometry, but in my opinion it's not worth the cost/effort of a cam swap. I'm generalizing quite a bit, and there are plenty of sweet-spots in cam timing that would increase performance but you will need ECU tuning and likely fail emissions.

If you're planning to pull them anyway why not upgrade heads and cam together? If it's because of cost, then don't bother with just a cam swap, figure out a real build plan and execute it when you can.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:53 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Call Lloyd Elliott at elliottsportworks.com

LT1 guru, who will help guide you on what you need to achieve your goals
Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Considering all that will go with it, (cost wise) I would go with a hotcam..... But with any cam, you are going to need, at a mim. new springs....
One of the advantages of the hotcam is, since it has been used in so many vettes, a mail order tune from someone such as pcmforless will be very accurate, and much cheaper then a dyno tune. And IMO you should get it tuned.

I had the hotcam, a set of hand ported heads, headers, stock exhaust, and IMO optimized drivetrain. (4.10 gears, 3000 stall converter., light weight wheels, slicks) The car went a best of 117.3 mph with a 11.71 ET
I always hear these rumors of better cam, etc. But have yet to see it. Now I know there are cams that can make more power, but they are at the cost of driveablilty......
My guess is that you can gain a little more with headers AND still be streetable. Do you think that we can get a better cam to justify the expense (new springs, lifters, install cost, etc) but have to sacrifice that much in drivability? I think the slight loss, if set up right would be hardly noticeable.

Get notified of new replies

To Help selecting cam

Old 10-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

1994-96 is a reflash meaning no chips. There is software to DIY PCM tuning. Hot Cam 25 year old tech for an engine long obsolete. If Lloyd Elliott is the plan; they can suggest cam and possibly a tune or tuner for your combination. IMO gears will get SOTP performance than engine build.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:18 PM
weedwhacker
Intermediate

Can we stop discussing how much the oem cam is better then anything aftermarket. I’m not new to modifier cars only American pushrod v8’s. I come from German cars.

This 94 coupe I bought has a bad lifter. So I’m going to pull the heads and have them cleaned up at the local engine builder here. I’m a while I’m in there sort of guy so I figured cam, timing set, springs and rockers, lifters and pushrods. Optispark isn’t having any issues currently so it will remain. Water pump in newer so it doesn’t need addressing. Once I drop the oil pan I’ll check the rod bearings and if it needs it I’ll bring the block and have it addressed. I’ll obviously have it flashed once I have all the parts. I tune all my bmws.

I basically am looking for buy this cam, these springs, these rockers etc. as it’s so vague what fits when looking.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:22 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
My guess is that you can gain a little more with headers AND still be streetable. Do you think that we can get a better cam to justify the expense (new springs, lifters, install cost, etc) but have to sacrifice that much in drivability? I think the slight loss, if set up right would be hardly noticeable.

If you go back and look at old post, there used to be several who picked up 30 to 40 rwhp with the cam change. (hotcam)
In my case, I did long tube headers, hand ported heads and hotcam all at the same time. I lost no bottom end, and picked up a lot of mid range as well at more top end....
The hotcam , heads, and headers made 365 hp, and 370 tq.

This is just a suggestion, but if you do decide to do heads as well, instead of porting the ones you have, I would look at new afr heads....
Porting your existing heads sounds cheap, until they get into them and find bad guides, seats etc. and then those charges are on top of the porting cost. Also, you will likely have shipping both directions. I learned this the hard way....

One last point, the hotcam is old tech.? How many new ways are out there to grind a cam?
Again, instead of saying its old and dont work, post up what is better. (with proof)

Quick Reply: Help selecting cam