C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starts up, starts stalling when i put in reverse or drive.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 09:58 PM
Jonathon1990vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starts up, starts stalling when i put in reverse or drive.

I want to start off by saying I've tried my best to search the forum for the answer before posting.

Anyway, its been awhile since my last post but I'm having some trouble with this situation. The old Vette is starting up but when I put it in reverse or drive it starts bogging down and I throw it back in neutral so it doesn't die. I've read a bunch of different possibilities but non seem to match exactly to my situation. Wondering if anyone on here has had that problem and may know somewhere I should start.

As always thank you guys for taking the time to read my post and any help is greatly appreciate!

-Jon
Old 09-14-2019, 03:18 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon1990vette
I want to start off by saying I've tried my best to search the forum for the answer before posting.

Anyway, its been awhile since my last post but I'm having some trouble with this situation. The old Vette is starting up but when I put it in reverse or drive it starts bogging down and I throw it back in neutral so it doesn't die. I've read a bunch of different possibilities but non seem to match exactly to my situation. Wondering if anyone on here has had that problem and may know somewhere I should start.

As always thank you guys for taking the time to read my post and any help is greatly appreciate!

-Jon
When you start it, what is the Idle RPM?

Should be around 1100 when cold, and drop down to 750-800rpms as the coolant temperature passes 140 degrees.

Jared
Old 09-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Jonathon1990vette
Racer

My tachometer doesn’t work, so I’m not sure. But it seems like it’s around what’s it always was when in park. And then when I shift into reverse or drive it starts bogging down.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:29 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

If the car stars and idles fine but then bogs under load (putting in drive/reverse) I'd start with checking your fuel pressure. You will need 40ish for your engine to run well. If you have lower pressure, you may first want to check the fuel filter (when was it changed last?) as it may have become restrictive.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:03 AM
Jonathon1990vette
Racer

That makes sense, I didn’t even think of that. I was thinking more electrical. Let me check that tomorrow and see what I can figure out. It has been awhile I’m sure since the fuel filter has been changed. Thank you very much!

Get notified of new replies

To Starts up, starts stalling when i put in reverse or drive.

Quick Reply: Starts up, starts stalling when i put in reverse or drive.