C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Windshield wiper timer problem.

Old 11-10-2002, 11:47 AM
shcuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wiper timer problem.

I have had this problem for some time now and can not figure it out. What happens is that when I turn on the wipers in the timer or delay mode, they do not complete the full cycle (up and down). What happenes is that they come up and stop in the middle of the windshield for the rest of the cycle, and then on the next one they come down for another cycle. It seems like the cycle is completed in 2 turns instead of one. I really dont know where to start. is there a relay that might be going bad, is the problem with the entire Motor Assy, and need to replace the entire thing?

any help would be greatly appreciated, because rain season is comming and want to repair the problem before the rain comes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:28 AM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Windshield wiper timer problem. (shcuck)

As you can tell you have had a lot of lookers but no replys to this problem, its not a normal problem :smash: To me it sounds like its in the motor or the relay in the motor that tells the motor when the cycle is complete. Not the timer because the timer only tells the wipers when to start the cycle. If you turn your windshield wipers on , not to the varible, then turn them off do they come down all the way?
Old 11-11-2002, 02:32 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The wipers only go all the way down when the wipers are off. They don't go all the way down between swipes. It's just more noticeable on intermittent, because they sit there for a few seconds. If they're in the way, you should be able to adjust them a little lower. (Mine are in the way too.) If you adjust them down too far, they'll collide. I need to look into getting a shorter blade on the driver's side to prevent this. But then, standard blades won't tuck under the hood. The easiest 'fix', is to just not drive it in the rain. :D
Old 11-11-2002, 02:43 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You say it only does this in the timer or delay mode?

Does it work at all correctly?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Storz
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Windshield wiper timer problem. (bill mcdonald)

mine also have a mind of their own, sometimes they will do like 5-8 cycles when I hit "mist" other times they will run full speed when its on delay :confused: got me :crazy:
Old 11-11-2002, 10:40 PM
shcuck
Instructor

Thanks for your replies. To further explain, When I turn the wipers on normal low or high speed, they work fine. They go up and down as they should, and when I trun them off, the go down even lower to hide under the hood. It even works fine when i trun on the mist. it sprays water and does about 3 cycles and turns off. The problem is when I use the delay mode. They come out of the hood and start the wipe cycle and stop exactly in the middle of the windshield (almost vertical position), then wait about 5-10 seconds (depending on the setting) and then continue up and down, stopping at the bottom as they should. Wait 5-10 sec. (depending on the setting) and go back up again to the middle of the windshield.

I hope this has helped clarify the situation and you can provide me with some suggestions to fix the problem.

Thanks again for the help.

Shcuck.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:11 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like it may be a faulty park switch. This is a part inside the motor assembly itself. It's under the black plastic cover, so it's not hard to change. I got mine for $37 from the Last Detail. A lot of these weird problems with wipers are caused by a faulty park switch. Mine was doing funny things until I replaced it. It could also be a problem with the circuit boad in the black plastic cover. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2002, 12:16 AM
shcuck
Instructor

Where can I get the park switch? and would it be better to just change the entire motor?
Old 11-12-2002, 12:57 AM
ddsovy
Instructor

My 89 does the same thing. I am going to replace the switch. (When my blades stop they stop in mid swing, all I have to do is touch the slider on the switch and they will complete their cycle). So I think it's the slider part of the switch. I think it should be an easy fix.

[Modified by ddsovy, 9:59 PM 11/11/2002]
Old 11-13-2002, 12:21 AM
shcuck
Instructor

Default Re: Windshield wiper timer problem. (ddsovy)

When it stops at mid cycle, if you do not touch the switch, will it continue the cycle? because mine conitunes with the normal delay setting just that it does it in 2 cycles instead of 1.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:30 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

I got my park switch from The Last Detail. http://www.tld-corvette.com or 770-414-0077. If the motor is working there's no reason to replace it. The motor is $131 without the cover, the cover is $85, and the park switch is $37. Your problem is probably either the park switch or the cover.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:35 AM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

I agree. Its either the park switch or the circuit board. My board went out and caused all kinds of wierd things to happen. It was alot cheaper $65 than replacing the entire motor assembly $125.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:46 PM
shcuck
Instructor

Default Re: Windshield wiper timer problem. (BlackbirdZ07)

Thanks for the info. But I went to the Last Detail and could not find the park switch. I found the cover and the motor, but no park switch. Could you post the code so I can get it?

Thanks

Oh..one more thing.. Once I get it, how do I install it? :D
Old 11-13-2002, 11:49 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

It's not listed in their catalog. I called and asked about it. They had to look it up but they did have it in stock. The part number on my invoice is 22063283. To replace it, remove both of the wiring connectors from the motor and unscrew the four torx head screws to remove the black plastic cover. When you remove the cover, note how the cam in the cover is positioned so you can put it back correctly. The park switch is held in with one hex head screw. The tricky thing is that you have to move stuff around in there to get the mechanism to disconnect from the switch. I got it after messing with it for a little while. Installation is the reverse.

It's hard to know which part is your problem. I checked the manual's list of common symptoms of wiper problems and their causes. Your problem is not listed, but all the problems with the delay and stopping incorrectly are either the park switch or the cover. I actually bought the cover first and that didn't solve my problem, so I sent it back and had them send me the park switch. They'll do that, but they only give you credit on electrical parts, not a refund. If you get the park switch first that won't be a problem if you have to trade it for the cover because it's cheaper than the cover. Only thing you'll lose is the shipping. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:59 PM
shcuck
Instructor

Default Re: Windshield wiper timer problem. (BlackbirdZ07)

Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted on the progress of this project.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield wiper timer problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield wiper timer problem.