C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any factory style radio replacement options without bose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 06:10 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Any factory style radio replacement options without bose?

I'm needing to change radio's up in my car as it currently has a double din in it. With the new dash going in I don't want to cut up the new skeleton or the replacement panels. Not really a fan of how the single din radios look either. I've already ripped out the bose so I was thinking that maybe their is a 1.5 din radio that other cars may have used that I can install or even a non-bose version of our radio's. I'd like to have a CD player but that's not a deal breaker as just having a FM signal is mainly all I care about.

Anyone swap out radio's for another factory style one?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:08 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

There is a later model (late 90s Camaro ?) HU with a CD player that will fit. You might want to post this in the audio section as well.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:36 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 85WHITEZ51
I'm needing to change radio's up in my car as it currently has a double din in it. With the new dash going in I don't want to cut up the new skeleton or the replacement panels. Not really a fan of how the single din radios look either. I've already ripped out the bose so I was thinking that maybe their is a 1.5 din radio that other cars may have used that I can install or even a non-bose version of our radio's. I'd like to have a CD player but that's not a deal breaker as just having a FM signal is mainly all I care about.

Here'a a DIY solution: The Comvette Project

Last edited by LWesthaver; 08-09-2019 at 05:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LWesthaver:
frosted (07-02-2019), scorp508 (07-02-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:32 AM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Originally Posted by LWesthaver

Here'a a DIY solution: Comvette Project

That's an awesome project but well passed my skill set :-(
Old 06-28-2019, 02:05 PM
ottothesilent
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Retrosound unit, fits and looks stock. The Bluetooth is a lifesaver and the many connections for amplifiers/subwoofers leaves plenty of room for later work down the road. I pulled the Bose enclosures from the rear and put in Infinity 6"x9"s, they sound excellent. Wiring was easy as pie as well. The unit comes with stock connectors, so it really is plug and play!
Old 06-29-2019, 02:15 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

I called up Crutchfields and spoke to one of their sales people. They set me up with a really nice modern radio that fit right in the original spot that my Bose system was in originally. The harness is the problem for a lot of people but after getting the electrical schematics for the Bose system I was able to hook everything up very quickly. I too replaced the front and rear speakers with modern better sounding components. The hardest part for me was enlarging the door openings for the speakers mounted on the door frame.

All in all I now have access to my Bluetooth devices, some really good sounds and I can answer the phone hands-free while driving. The best part it was less than $400 for the whole installation. Good sounds should not cost and arm and a leg, in MY humble opinion.

With all the glass in my Coupe the sounds bounce around and around which distorts the music a bit but I can hear what I want to hear. Options in a Convertible would be better since they don't have the greenhouse of the C4 Coupes.

There are a lot of options, I hope you find just what you are looking for with a reasonable price and easy installation!

Best Regards,
Chris
Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm going to put a Pioneex AVH-3500NEX into my '87 when I put it back together. It was originally a Bose car, but the original speakers, amps, and head unit are long gone.

Last edited by scorp508; 07-02-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 85WHITEZ51
Yessiree! I did the swap with a Delco AM/FM Cassette and 5 band EQ from a 1987 Eldorado. Plug and play into the early C4's. I'm using the Bose front speakers (I bypassed the amps) and a set of new 8Ω GM 6x9's in the rear. As a bonus the display is green too. It sounds terrific and I really like the look!!

Old 07-03-2019, 08:58 AM
auto_cran
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's another, similar to Red86's but with the CD player. This is my 1988 35th Anniversary. I removed the Bose stuff (replaced with better speakers in the stock locations keeping the stock speaker grills). And like Red's the display is green. Looks original -sounds great! Not the best pic - but hopefully you get the idea. I plan to do something similar in my non-Bose '84.

Chris
(auto_cran)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 AM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Originally Posted by auto_cran
Here's another, similar to Red86's but with the CD player. This is my 1988 35th Anniversary. I removed the Bose stuff (replaced with better speakers in the stock locations keeping the stock speaker grills). And like Red's the display is green. Looks original -sounds great! Not the best pic - but hopefully you get the idea. I plan to do something similar in my non-Bose '84.

Chris
(auto_cran)
Do you recall what radio that is from? I gave up on this search and ordered a single Din radio hoping to be able to make a bracket that wouldn't look bad. If that doesn't work out I want to go this route. I can always put that new radio in one of my other cars that could use an upgrade.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:53 AM
auto_cran
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe it came from a mid-90's Buick. You can find them from some vendors on eBay. Search for "delco radio cd equalizer". Some have even installed an AUX outlet - I wish mine had that.

Chris
(auto_cran)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You can get a single din to look good, I put this NOS Sony with a pocket underneath in my 89.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:09 AM
RalfKramden
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
I called up Crutchfields and spoke to one of their sales people. They set me up with a really nice modern radio that fit right in the original spot that my Bose system was in originally.
I'm curious, which head unit did you wind up buying?
Old 12-30-2023, 03:23 AM
ThickLizzyVetteswerv
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by auto_cran

Chris
(auto_cran)
That is the radio I have honed in on myself but the couple vendors who deal in them on ebay want a mint for it. The graphic EQ section is really what sets it apart but I'm curious how much use that would get in real life. Do you fiddle with the EQ much or change it for various things you play?

Get notified of new replies

To Any factory style radio replacement options without bose?

Quick Reply: Any factory style radio replacement options without bose?