C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89' Emergancy brake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM
redjetty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 89' Emergancy brake question

I pulled up on my e brake (on my 89) to set it on an incline and as I was pulling it up through the clicks it suddenly popped and there was no tension left.... so did the cable break?? Ive looked underneath and see nothing unusual so perhaps its in the handle area???
It so,,, how does one expose that area??? thanks,, rj,,,ps,, yes i know i spelled emergency wrong in the title
Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Mark85Vett
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you try pulling it up again to see if it still works?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:56 PM
rube1975
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark85Vett
if not i would say with some certainty that you got a broken cable it is possible to strip the handle if you really force it but i cant recall ever hearing about one gl
Old 03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
redjetty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark85Vett
i can pull the handle up yes, but there is no tension like before this happened,,,,,I was underneath while my wife was pulling on the e brake and with the car on my kwiklift I saw no cables being torqued on while she was pulling the handle up,,, rj
Old 03-29-2010, 05:43 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can see the cable under the car near the bottom of the door molding. You can also take the boot off to see if it came loose from the handle. Sounds like you broke an attachment somewhere.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
You can see the cable under the car near the bottom of the door molding. You can also take the boot off to see if it came loose from the handle. Sounds like you broke an attachment somewhere.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Harsh20
Instructor

take the cover off of handle area and lubricate it while working the handle up and down there is a little locking mechanism in there that needs to lubricated on occassion. mine did what yours did but working it up and down and it magically started working again.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 PM
redjetty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Harsh20
take the cover off of handle area and lubricate it while working the handle up and down there is a little locking mechanism in there that needs to lubricated on occassion. mine did what yours did but working it up and down and it magically started working again.
how do you take the cover off the handle area?,,, does one remove the seat?? do it yourselfer here,, thanks rj
Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redjetty
how do you take the cover off the handle area?,,, does one remove the seat?? do it yourselfer here,, thanks rj
Yes you remove the seat so you can unscrew the parking brake cover.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There was a Brake Handle Campaign/Recall for about a 1/3 of the '89 VIN's and most of the '88's, but the only thing I can find right now is for the '90 and most of the stuff at www.nhtsa.gov is erased for these Years. Anyway, the handle falls apart and you drag the cables around. Since there are no parts, you're probably looking at used. My local Dealer reimbursed me - but that was 20 years ago.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCr
There was a Brake Handle Campaign/Recall for about a 1/3 of the '89 VIN's and most of the '88's, but the only thing I can find right now is for the '90 and most of the stuff at www.nhtsa.gov is erased for these Years. Anyway, the handle falls apart and you drag the cables around. Since there are no parts, you're probably looking at used. My local Dealer reimbursed me - but that was 20 years ago.
It sure is a good thing I don't have to worry about it as I never use the parking brake. AT.

Get notified of new replies

To 89' Emergancy brake question

Quick Reply: 89' Emergancy brake question