C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPS cannot get high enough voltage

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:30 PM
revets00
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TPS cannot get high enough voltage

A week or so ago I decided I would gunk and wash engine. Drove it a little and started acting up and shut off in my driveway. Probably got water in TPS. Checked the voltage on TPS following procedure on here. Had only .27 or .28 volts. Replaced TPS and still could only get about same voltage. Never was able to get .54 volts. Yes, I adjusted idle air like in instruction before TPS.
It did crank and run the next day after got it wet and showed a code 36. I cleared it before I put the new sensor on. Haven't rechecked the codes but it isn't showing check engine light.
i am driving the car now and seems to be running OK but does seem like it could idle little better.
Done a lot of reading and haven't found answer so come here to ask.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If you didn't use scanner to set tps I would try to get it scanned and set. Verify you have 5v at sensor connector. The 36 relates to MAF burn off could have been set by cleaning engine.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:12 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by revets00
A week or so ago I decided I would gunk and wash engine. Drove it a little and started acting up and shut off in my driveway. Probably got water in TPS. Checked the voltage on TPS following procedure on here. Had only .27 or .28 volts. Replaced TPS and still could only get about same voltage. Never was able to get .54 volts. Yes, I adjusted idle air like in instruction before TPS.
It did crank and run the next day after got it wet and showed a code 36. I cleared it before I put the new sensor on. Haven't rechecked the codes but it isn't showing check engine light.
i am driving the car now and seems to be running OK but does seem like it could idle little better.
Done a lot of reading and haven't found answer so come here to ask.
Verify that the sensor has power by measuring Volts DC between the power wire on the TPS and ground. The power wire should be the one that you didn't use when setting the TPS. The bottom one of the three if I remember correct.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 PM
revets00
Advanced

Default TPS voltage

Thanks! I'll do that check to see if I have correct voltage going to TPS
Old 05-17-2018, 10:33 PM
revets00
Advanced

Default I'm stumped!

Still only .28 volts on TPS voltage check setting it high as it will go. The TPS sensor is new. Gives same voltage as old one. Also just changed the ECM. No change. Checking the voltage to the TPS plug I got 5.0 volts. Not a electronics guy by any means. Had this car nearly 18 years. Never was not able to get .54 on TPS setting. I'm wondering if TPS is still bad? You can extend it by pushing lever down after its reached it max in the slots and voltage will go up.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 AM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by revets00
Still only .28 volts on TPS voltage check setting it high as it will go. The TPS sensor is new. Gives same voltage as old one. Also just changed the ECM. No change. Checking the voltage to the TPS plug I got 5.0 volts. Not a electronics guy by any means. Had this car nearly 18 years. Never was not able to get .54 on TPS setting. I'm wondering if TPS is still bad? You can extend it by pushing lever down after its reached it max in the slots and voltage will go up.
Sorry for the late reply. So to clarify: if you take the TPS, while plugged in, but off the throttle body, it won't go above .28 volts when wide open? That would indicate either a bad TPS, or a bad ground/connection in the TPS circuit. When I did my MAP conversion, I wired the MAP backwards (I swapped +5 and ground) and that made the TPS read a consistent .4 volts until it was halfway open, then it would jump around. I fixed the MAP connection, and all was good.

An easy way to verify if its the wiring or the TPS would be to take the TPS off the car, and 'bench test' it. With the TPS unplugged, take an Ohmmeter and measure from the signal port (middle I think) to ground. Open the TPS slowly, and observe resistance readings. Does the resistance go up evenly? Or does it jump around, stay still, go out of range?

The next test (which I think you've essentially done already) would be to put the TPS back on the car, plug it in, then measure voltage from signal to ground as you open the TPS slowly. Again, it should increase smoothly, and not jump around or stay still.

If the first test fails, then the TPS is likely toast. If it passes and the second fails, then I would suspect a bad ground or connection, possibly at the ECM, but possibly anywhere in the wiring harness.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:24 AM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

This might help:

TPS diagnostics
Old 05-27-2018, 09:56 PM
revets00
Advanced

Default Tps

I really appreciate the help. Like I said I replaced ECM, TPS. Still only get .28 volts on it after unplugging IAC and setting rpm at 450. I also took an old Tps sensor and reinstalled it on my car. It to would only go .28 volts. Was only getting .28 volts the reason i put new tps to start with. Cars runs but idles kinda rough and still throws code 36. I have swapped burnoff relays, tighten and loosed ground wire under booster and one under ac on the frame.I've cleaned MAF sensor.
i have a box full of maf, tps sensors, burnoff relays I have changed on this car in 18 years. Really been an ongoing problem. I'm thinking maybe the IAC may be a problem or bad maf. I really hate to be a parts changer like most shops do but I am stumped on this one. I've never not been able to get .45 volts on tps in those years but I caint.
I will take the sensor off and see if I have steady resistance when I have time. I'm not going to trust this car till I get this fixed and no codes glaring at me. Maybe I just need to trade up a few decades. Hope newer vetted don't have this problem. I've read a lot and code 36 is one of the biggest problems with these years. Seems everyone has found their culprit and all are different reasons. Wish I could find this one.

Originally Posted by TheBlaster9001
Sorry for the late reply. So to clarify: if you take the TPS, while plugged in, but off the throttle body, it won't go above .28 volts when wide open? That would indicate either a bad TPS, or a bad ground/connection in the TPS circuit. When I did my MAP conversion, I wired the MAP backwards (I swapped +5 and ground) and that made the TPS read a consistent .4 volts until it was halfway open, then it would jump around. I fixed the MAP connection, and all was good.

An easy way to verify if its the wiring or the TPS would be to take the TPS off the car, and 'bench test' it. With the TPS unplugged, take an Ohmmeter and measure from the signal port (middle I think) to ground. Open the TPS slowly, and observe resistance readings. Does the resistance go up evenly? Or does it jump around, stay still, go out of range?

The next test (which I think you've essentially done already) would be to put the TPS back on the car, plug it in, then measure voltage from signal to ground as you open the TPS slowly. Again, it should increase smoothly, and not jump around or stay still.

If the first test fails, then the TPS is likely toast. If it passes and the second fails, then I would suspect a bad ground or connection, possibly at the ECM, but possibly anywhere in the wiring harness.
tps

Last edited by revets00; 05-27-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Mistake

Get notified of new replies

To TPS cannot get high enough voltage

Quick Reply: TPS cannot get high enough voltage