C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions.

Old 10-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Locke434
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions.

I'll make this pretty straight forward.

1) What is the car supposed to idle at? Mine is idling at 500rpm, sometimes 6, or drop to 4, but not for long. Why? Is their supposed to be that flux?

2) Should I have to depress the accel pedal to start my car? Otherwise it won't start.

3) How harsh should the ride be? Just want to check if my struts are bad, I feel almost every thing in the road.

4) What the hell am I hitting over speedbump, I go over them at 500 rpm, and I still hit something.

5) What should my alternator be at? Currently 13.8 Volts.

6) What kind of gas mileage should i be getting, currently is 20 mpg.

7) What should be the tire pressures?

8) Where can I find/get the right headlamp door?

9) Where can I get a hubcap key?

10) Is there a better replacement system for the top bolts? I mean easier to take off and on then the bolts?

11) What are recommendations for brake fluid, steering fluid, and coolant?

12) When I take my car over 100 my coolant temp goes up above 260, in conjuntion of the air condition being on. Is their a way to keep the coolant temp down? Any recommendations of coolant temp?

13) Any recommended oil?

14) My car came without a working cigrette lighter, is their a place I can get one? Is their any advice on how to fix it?

15) How can you fix the spring for the button on the center consel?

16) Any advice on how to get a real good seal for the cabin, I mean it's sealed an all, but if it get heavy rain it leaks in, or in a car wash is a complete horrible nightmare.

17) Is there supposed to be a flux in the digital dash? Like bright, fade, bright, not too badly but noticible.

18) How do i fix my power door lock? They'll lock, but not open?

19) Suggest Windshield Fluid?

20) My car got a weird shudder through the middle of the accel, it's smooth up on top, then rough in the middle, and smooth when floored, what's up with that?

21) Do new spark plugs make a real difference?

22) What are a few cheap (on a budget) mods that would be worth doing?

23) Anyone know where to get good red touchup paint?

Thanks alot for any advice, ahead of time.

I just got this car, and it has 54,000 original miles on it, and it has to last for me. So I want to restore it and take care of it, because I want it to take care of me.

-Locke434
:reddevil
Old 10-15-2002, 10:21 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions. (Locke434)

You should start off by using the search engine on this site. I always do before I start asking questions whether it be what grade of gas to use to who makes the best headers. You can find answers to most if not all of your questions. You have got just to many questions for me to want to answer them all.

Welcome to the Forum, :seeya I'm on here about 1-2 hours daily and have learned alot of schit here.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:36 PM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Location: Brandywine, Chester and Ridley Valleys Pennsylvania

Default Re: New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions. (chucks88)

Congrats on the 88, you'll love it I'm sure. That's a big list, like was said, check out the archives and you'll learn alot of stuff.
Buy a shop manual for the 88, you'll learn alot with that too.

Read articles on MAF fuel injection as used on the TPI, you'll be able to diagnose alot of your drivability problems that way. Sounds like you need to adjust some things, clean out some of the parts that get "gummed up" and get some fresh ignition parts on there.

Maybe get the car checked out to see that all suspension joints, exhaust brackets, etc are in good shape, some previous owners are good, some are bad about maintenance and upkeep.

Check your options, some have z51 suspension, a bit firmer than your average car.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:40 PM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats ( I think :eek: ) and Welcome!! :seeya

That's a nice list of problems you have there. Let's see where I can help at.

1) What is the car supposed to idle at? Mine is idling at 500rpm, sometimes 6, or drop to 4, but not for long. Why? Is their supposed to be that flux?

Could be just the min idle speed needs adjusting. You can find the instructions for that in the following link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=55&TopicID=2

2) Should I have to depress the accel pedal to start my car? Otherwise it won't start.

That could be a fuel filter problem. I'd get a thorough tune-up done asap.

3) How harsh should the ride be? Just want to check if my struts are bad, I feel almost every thing in the road.

What are your tire pressures set at? Anything over 35 psi on my 87 and it rides like it has flintstone tires instead. Then go to #4.

4) What the hell am I hitting over speedbump, I go over them at 500 rpm, and I still hit something.

Jounce the car in front and back. If it rebounds more than like 1 1/2 times I'd suggest replacing the shocks. I had blown shocks on mine and that thing was no picnic to drive that's for sure.

Sounds about right.

With the 2.59 rear ratio I was getting 19+ city and 28+ hwy. If that's your hwy # then maybe that fuel filter change could help.

Anything under 35 psi is comfy.

10) Is there a better replacement system for the top bolts? I mean easier to take off and on then the bolts?

The only thing that comes to mind is the little drill equiped with the bit for the top. You can get that from any major Corvette vendor.

12) When I take my car over 100 my coolant temp goes up above 260, in conjuntion of the air condition being on. Is their a way to keep the coolant temp down? Any recommendations of coolant temp?

WOW! I'd suggest laying off the 100 spurts, you must resist the dark side Luke, if your running that hot. We've also had quite a few posts on radiators and the crap that area collects. Check between the radiator and condensor. If it's full of crud the you have a cleaning job to do.

13) Any recommended oil?

Mobil 1 hasn't hurt my engine.

16) Any advice on how to get a real good seal for the cabin, I mean it's sealed an all, but if it get heavy rain it leaks in, or in a car wash is a complete horrible nightmare.

I'm still working on that myself. New weatherstrip and all.

17) Is there supposed to be a flux in the digital dash? Like bright, fade, bright, not too badly but noticible. If you say it's not too bad then I'd say you're O.K. on that. The fluctuation could just be the low idle you're set at.

18) How do i fix my power door lock? They'll lock, but not open?That's one option I wish I had. I can't believe that didn't come standard.

20) My car got a weird shudder through the middle of the accel, it's smooth up on top, then rough in the middle, and smooth when floored, what's up with that?

That could be any number of things. I certainly hope that's just a result of needing a good tune.

Oh Yea, especially if they need to be changed. That would definately be included in the tune-up.

I'd start with making a debris screen between the nose and spoiler so you can keep the bigger items out from the radiator area.

I just got this car, and it has 54,000 original miles on it, and it has to last for me. So I want to restore it and take care of it, because I want it to take care of me.

I hear ya! :cheers:

-Locke434

Take it easy until you have that tune-up done. The rear gear fluid might be a bit much but I'd change the rest of the fluids. Check the Throttle Body and if it real sooty behind the butterfly's then you should take it off and apart to clean it. 54k miles sounds great but you never know what folks do with thier cars. ;) Again Congatulations enjoy that '88! :cheers:
Old 10-15-2002, 10:59 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Default Re: New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions. (War Machine)

John,

Your a better man than I- good job :yesnod:
Old 10-15-2002, 11:52 PM
Black88Vette
Instructor

I will answer as many questions as I can. Great year by the way! Be sure to let me know when you get some pics up! Welcome aboard!

Mine usually stays right around 6, unless it is cold then it is 8 or 9.

Don't think so. I was told that pushing the accel. down on a fuel injected car, messes with the computer. Mine starts by just turning the key.

I feel quite a bit too. I don't really know how much you feel for sure.

Are you hitting in the front or rear? If it is in the front it is probably the air dam, I am guessing. I drag mine on my mom and dads driveway and it is only like 3 inch tall concrete.

That is what mine runs at.

I have a manual trans with the overdrives and I average about 24. It drops when I'm criuising around town, but goes up when I am on the highway.

I keep mine between 30 and 35 pounds.

8) Where can I find/get the right headlamp door?

Ecklers probably has it, or check the resto. mall here on the forum.

9) Where can I get a hubcap key?

Mid America Designs probably sells them.

Not that I know of. Mid America sells a cordless screwdriver for the top bolts, though.

11) What are recommendations for brake fluid, steering fluid, and coolant?

Dot-3 Fluid for the brakes, or Delco Supreme 11. GM power steering fluid or an equivalent. Quality ethylene glycol base antifreeze. I use Prestone. The green stuff.

Never noticed this on my car. Maybe flush the radiator, if that don't work, then you might need to replace the thermo.

13) Any recommended oil?

I used Castrol before I got onto the Forum, but I think the guys have converted me to Mobil 1.

14) My car came without a working cigrette lighter, is their a place I can get one? Is their any advice on how to fix it?

Check Mid America or the resto store here.

15) How can you fix the spring for the button on the center consel?

Mid America sells a kit for it.

New Wetherstripping or wash by hand and keep garaged.

17) Is there supposed to be a flux in the digital dash? Like bright, fade, bright, not too badly but noticible.

I've never noticed one in mine.

18) How do i fix my power door lock? They'll lock, but not open?

Solenoid is probably bad. You might be able to fix it, but you'll have to ask someone else.

19) Suggest Windshield Fluid?

GM Optikleen Washer Solvent.

Wish I could tell you.

Oh yeah. I would give it a complete tune-up.

Maybe a throttle body booster and a K&N Filter.

23) Anyone know where to get good red touchup paint?

Sorry, Can't help you there.

Thanks alot for any advice, ahead of time.

-Locke434
:yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 10-16-2002, 12:06 AM
Locke434
Heel & Toe

Default Re: New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions. (chucks88)

I also had another question. I drive from STL, to KC, and the gas changes from 93 octane to 91, Will that hurt my car? Should I empty the tank before I fill it? Also is there a effective way to safely remove decales for replacement?
Old 10-16-2002, 12:15 AM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

You are lucky to find this site. Took me almost two years after I got my 88 and much wasted money on easy fix:mad
Do you have 17" wheels? If yes, then it either a Z52 or Z51 and it is a rough ride:). Door lock! need new switch. The door lock and the power window switchs are the same. Cost about $6 to $10 each depend on where you buy. The rest of the question were answer already:)
Old 10-16-2002, 12:25 AM
Rockthumper
Intermediate

Default Re: New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions. (VQT88Vette)

I just got an 89, it isn't on the road yet. So far the forum has been very informative.
some mods I have been considering are:
-relocating the mass air temperature(MAT) sensor, there's a kit in the C4 section
-gutting the cats, I have no emissions..
-removing the screens from the mass air flow(MAF), directions in tech tips
-new coil, wires, plugs
-160 thermostat
-throttle body(TB) bypass, directions in tech tips
-knn, cut lid
I have done a fair amount of reading and these seem to do something but they are up for discussion.
R/T :cheers:
Old 10-16-2002, 12:27 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

:eek: What a list :eek:

Welcome to the addiction! and don't forget to wave :seeya

OK, sounds like you have some of the typical "my car is 14 years old" issues. I had and still have some of the same.

For you engine related problems go out and buy plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and the control modules for in the distributor. I used AC delco plugs and cut-back the ground electrode (one of those cheap mods).Buy at least 2 cans of spray throttle body cleaner. Purchase a set of throttle body gaskets. Buy an upper and lower radiator hose, about 6' of 3/4" heater hose, about 6' of 5/8" heater hose, about 2' of 3/8" heater hose, 1 3/4X3/4X3/4 T fitting, 1 3/4X3/8X3/4 T fitting, 2 5/8" rubber caps, lots of hose clamps.
Now pull the radiator and clean it!
Replace the radiator hoses, replace the 3/4" heater hoses, you will need the T's
Now look at the 5/8" heater hose and follow it to the throttle body, it comes out the other side to a fitting above the water pump. Route your new heater hose around the throttle body to the fitting (TB bypass mod). Cover the inlet and outlet of the TB with the caps. Congrats you just solved 90% of your going 100 and seeing 260* water temps.

While you are fiddilng with the radiator remove the "frisbee", its a flat metal disk attached to the water pump pulley (another cheap mod)

While you are fiddling around the TB, take it off and clean it!

Now replace the plugs, wires etc. - Congrats you probably solved 80% of your drivability problems. Replace the fuel filter and you should be done.

Your shocks are probably gone, I know mine are.

Your gas mileage is about average for a mix of driving. If that is your calculated highway mileage then the tune-up should bring your mileage up to over 20.

Hubcap key - if you are lucky they key code is with the owner's manual and you can get a Chevy dealer to order you one. If not then use a thin bladed screwdriver or needle nose pliers to turn the lock screws holding the covers on. Then keep an eye on ebay for a full set with a key. Or order new from chevy.

Coolant - use the green stuff. Putting the orange stuff in is supposed to cause waterpump problems.

Oil - use Mobil 1. Our cars didn't come with it, I changed mine over at 120K miles. Its a lot happier with Mobil 1 than it was with dino.

cigarette lighter, console spring, etc. Try TLD (www.tld-corvette.com) or any of the other corvette part suppliers.

Your dash problem is probably just a loose connection.

Power door locks lock but don't open. Something is binding inside the door. You'll need to remove the outer and inner panels to fix.

For the leaks - learn to live with them. I still haven't figured out how to get them to stop :cry

Keep on asking the questions - HTH
Old 10-16-2002, 12:29 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

:seeya :seeya You must buy a Helm Shop Manual, its the best money youll spend on your car.

1. Mine idles at 700rpm, anywhere from 600-800 is normal. Check the TPS voltage.

2. No, Sounds like fuel filter, or leaky injectors. Change the filter, if that doesnt fix it, check the resistance of the injectors.

3. Vettes ride rougher than anything, moreso than people would think they do. Its probably normal, but as old as the car is, changing the shocks and bushings to new ones wouldnt be a bad idea.

4. What sound are you hearing? your car could be lowered too

5. Sounds normal.
6. My average is 19, 16-17 city and 25 hwy.
7. I like them to be about 32psi cold.
8. Contemporary Corvette
9. not sure
10. Nope, dont mess with that.
11. Synthetic fluids, especially PS fluid (valvoline stuff for that), dont use the racing brake fluid either

12. This could be a separate question entirely. Vettes overheat because our radiators arent big enough for the motor. Change the thermostat to a 160, buy a fan switch and wire the main fan to it(ecklers.com), clean the front of your radiator.

13. Mobil 1, 5w30 for me, 10w30 will work just as good

14. Either one of the part magazines or Contemporary Corvette.

15. Dont know.
16. Buy new weatherstripping, only way. GM makes terrible weatherstrip, its a common problem.

17. Just a little would be normal, like if you turn on the AC, wipers, stereo etc. And when the lighting outside changes, theres a sensor in the unit that changes the brightness of the lights.

18. Dont know
19. whatever works
20. could be the filter again, or pump or injectors
21. A tune up is the first thing you should have done to the car, new plugs (AC Delco is just fine), new wires (MSD 8.5mm), new cap and rotor (the stock GM one is good)

22. Ask this separately, or run a search.

23. Any auto store should have it.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:52 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats on your new Corvette, and welcome to the Forum.

Since most of your questions have already been addressed I'll just touch on a few.

Since you need a wheel key I suspect you have the Z-51 or Z-52 option; look inside the console lid to see. If the Z-51, that explains the harsh ride. Take a scan under the car to see if anything is hanging; if not your air dam is likely hitting on those speed bumps.

Yes spark plugs make a difference, go to my site and learn how to get 8-10 free hp from mods to them; you can get another free 10hp from removing the "frisbee" (also explained there).

Install a K&N air filter with cut lid (10hp) or a SLP ram air setup (15hp), that comes with a stock size K&N; install a 160deg theremostat and aux fan sw (located in the block between #1 &#3 plugs) (10-15hp).

Beyond that the biggest boost of the simple mods will come from exhaust mods. If you don't want full length headers, do a front Y and in any case do a hi flow cat and good cat-back (20-25hp).

Bone stock your Vette likely runs low 14s; take a look at my sig and my mods along with those of Vic'89 to see what you can get without realy opening up the engine.

Enjoy your Vette and don't foreget to save the wave.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:09 AM
SharkB4C4
Safety Car

Congratulations on your purchase. I enjoyed my 88 Z51 for many years and lots of miles ... I still kick myself for selling it.

My Z51 rode like an ox cart ... but that was part of its charm. The stiff suspension made it handle like it was glued to the asphalt (as long as the road was smooth; on rough roads, the car bounced around like marbles).

If you have a glass top, you need to make it HARDER to take on and off. I'd get the replacement LOCKING bolts. Anyway, after several times struggling with the top removal, the novelty of going topless wears off (at least for me).

Next time you rent a car, pocket the lighter ... all cars use the same size.

Yes, I had that same problem! Drove me nuts. I thought it was the photoelectric sensor, but no, it turned out to be the alternator flucutaing the voltage at idle. Since the alternators on these cars go out every couple of years, just put up with the flutter until your next alternator replacement.

Enjoy your 88!

[Modified by SharkInShark, 2:34 AM 10/16/2002]
Old 10-16-2002, 04:25 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the 88. When I took mine in for new tires they asked about the lug key. Another part the old owner(s) did not send with the car. Just had them break the locking nut and replace with a regular one. By the way, I have the base (16" wheels) suspension and it also came with locks.

I idle at 600 about 98% of the time. The rest is 500-700. A really good tuneup should make a big difference.

:seeya
Old 10-16-2002, 06:21 PM
Locke434
Heel & Toe

Default Re: New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions. (aj1988)

I guess, anyone know a place that will have a right headlamp door? ( is that what they call it). That's the first thing i'm trying to fix, because it can't be good not to have one, i mean water getting in it, and it makes a horrible wind screech noise, but I can't find one anywhere.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:56 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I guess, anyone know a place that will have a right headlamp door? ( is that what they call it). That's the first thing i'm trying to fix, because it can't be good not to have one, i mean water getting in it, and it makes a horrible wind screech noise, but I can't find one anywhere.
The Last Detail - http://www.tld-corvette.com
Call around to salvage yards?
Local dealer?
Jeff Koop - 18carfan on the forum can get you prices for a new replacement from GM
Old 10-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Bill-35thAnvrsy-88
Instructor

I think the 1st thing you should do is buy a user and service manual. They are available.

Next thing...change fluids...oil, tranny, diff, steering. Lube her. Tune her. Get teh small and most important stuff done 1st...then, if you are not happy...dabble a little deeper per the other posts.

One thing on opening the top...I have the star wrench and I put it in my drill and wala...off in a jiffy.

Another tip, do not press gas when starting. Shouldn't need it.

Your ride will be rough.

Good straight up site for engine mods:
http://www.mahoningvalleycorvettes.c...formance.html.

In addition to these, remove the frisbee (Steel disc on water pump).

All I have....for now!

Good luck and enjoy the best "Sports Car" in the U.S. (Check the new Autoweek results...Vettes are best!!!)!

Don't forget the wave.... :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions.

Old 10-16-2002, 10:16 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

anyone know a place that will have a right headlamp door?

For new and used parts try Contemporary Corvette, link on my site.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:38 PM
chevy-vetteman
Intermediate

have you checked your fuel pressure, you may have leaking injectors that could be the cause of your hard starting. the hubcap key, mid-america has a kit it has the locks and the key they are about $120 for the kit. sparkplugs i tried the bosh+4 i love them bad part they are not cheap. cheap mods see tpis.com they have a book full off ideas for easy mods you can do youself. hope that helps
Old 10-17-2002, 01:26 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Welcome to your new second home. :cheers: You will find every answer to every question you could ever possibly think of here on the Forum.

For mod tips read this: http://www.c4vettes.com/performance.htm

Contemporary Corvettes is definately a great source for used parts, I got a set of door panels for $200 and they look like they are brand new! (Thanks to 65Z01 for the reference, his site also has some great mod tips you should check out).

You also might want to check on eBay for spare parts.

Don't forget to :seeya

[Modified by VetBoy89, 9:27 AM 10/17/2002]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 1988 Vette Owner, Some Questions.