C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

temp control door motor on my 90

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 07:03 PM
LJAZZZ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp control door motor on my 90

Does anyone know where the temperature control door and motor is located on the 90?
How do i get to it?
Can I get to it from the engine side?
thanks,Laura
:seeya
Old 10-15-2002, 07:19 PM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (LJAZZZ)

For the Model Year (MY)90, it's buried in the heating and ventilation assembly, passenger side. One of the most dreaded C4 jobs is replacing this motor. Believe book is around 14-16 hours and some shops will not accept the work. This motor installation design was changed in 94 and up and takes 5 minutes. Big improvement. You can install the 94 motor and housing on the 90 but need to move some wires on the control assembly. I have a box/motor off a 94 sitting in my garage. Paid $35. Just waiting for my 90's temp control motor heading south.

You are certain the motor needs replacing? The C68 electronic controls has some pretty good trouble shooting routines.

Hope you get everything fixed. Doable, but, darn dash work. I'd rather do my own dental work.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3 speed shocks
Old 10-16-2002, 09:17 AM
PTz-92-LT1
Racer

Replied to your IM message. From reading the post above, I'd say my response should be the same.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:31 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (dlmeyers)

For the Model Year (MY)90, it's buried in the heating and ventilation assembly, passenger side. One of the most dreaded C4 jobs is replacing this motor. Believe book is around 14-16 hours and some shops will not accept the work. This motor installation design was changed in 94 and up and takes 5 minutes. Big improvement. You can install the 94 motor and housing on the 90 but need to move some wires on the control assembly. I have a box/motor off a 94 sitting in my garage. Paid $35. Just waiting for my 90's temp control motor heading south.

You are certain the motor needs replacing? The C68 electronic controls has some pretty good trouble shooting routines.

Hope you get everything fixed. Doable, but, darn dash work. I'd rather do my own dental work.

What did they change to make it easier?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:48 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (-=Jeff=-)

What did they change to make it easier?

Sonny Kilgo recommended moving the motor from the top of the box to the bottom because of warranty work they were having to do. They finally did this in '94. He got a $4000 bonus for this idea.

To remove the motor, there is a bolt on the top of it that sits just under the windshield wiper area. That means removing the entire heating/ac box assembly just to get to that one 7mm bolt.

Jerry Watts drew a diagram for me showing where to drill a hole just under the mesh by the windshield wiper so you can access that bolt from the top then plug the hole. Then you don't need to remove the entire dash assembly just to get the motor out. This method is only for those who don't mind drilling a small hole.

[Modified by Marcho Polo, 8:49 AM 10/16/2002]
Old 10-16-2002, 01:38 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (Marcho Polo)

[QUOTE]

Jerry Watts drew a diagram for me showing where to drill a hole just under the mesh by the windshield wiper so you can access that bolt from the top then plug the hole. Then you don't need to remove the entire dash assembly just to get the motor out. This method is only for those who don't mind drilling a small hole.

Any chance of getting a copy of that diagram? I need to fix mine and I sure dont want to pull the box!!

Old 10-16-2002, 05:22 PM
PTz-92-LT1
Racer

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (Red 86 4+3)

Marcho Polo:

Ditto on getting the diagram.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:08 PM
LJAZZZ
Intermediate

I would rather drill a hole than to get back into tearing out the entire dash to get behind the heater core assembly to make the repair,
So can we get a diagram of where to drill this hole , pleeeassse.
Laura :sad:
Old 10-21-2002, 12:51 PM
PTz-92-LT1
Racer

Ditto on please let's see the diagram!!!!!!!!!!!! (Beg...plead..pray...grovel)
Old 10-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Former Moderator

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (PTz-92-LT1)

Okay, the area in question is in the picture at the very bottom. I have not done this yet, and since my heater core needs to be replaced, I'll probably never do this.... You still need to get under the dash area and remove two other bolts from the passenger footwell area, but this will keep you from pulling the whole dash apart to get the top bolt out. Here's an exact copy of what Jerry told me:

Flat Pack Motor

Right side cowl area below windshield.

Remove right wiper arm and screen.

10" to the left of center wipe tram. (?)

2 1/2" from inside cowl (back from front)

should be back in under w/s slightly

That's what he wrote... I'm not sure what "tram." stands for, but that's what he put down....

The hole doesn't need to be too big, it's either a 7mm or 1/4" bolt in there, so get that socket out and determine how big of a plug/hole you need.

Good luck! If anyone does this, please take pictures, I'd like to see.

Old 10-21-2002, 05:02 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Well I am needing to do this and I will take pictures, but be forewarned, Im the biggest computer dummy out there, so I feel sure I will be mailing them to you!!
Old 10-21-2002, 06:10 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you post some pictures of what the updated box looks like?

I just ripped my Ac box out along with the fan, shroud, water fill container, inner fender well, wiper fluid can, and support bar to the hood latch, to paint them. It took me 4 hours to get them out because of a round nut like piece that became unwelded inside the frame on the supprt brace. I had to drill out the bolt which took a lot of time due to it's location.

I would like to see what was done on the new cars.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:27 AM
91tpi-zf
Racer

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (bill mcdonald)

There are several parts needed to complete this swap. I had to replace mine with the later model stuff when my clutch exploded tearing up all the ducts, etc. First you will need the box off a 1995-1996 model. It looks the same, other than the fact that the control motor is to be mounted on the bottom rather than the top of the unit.

You will also need the door that the motor opens and closes, as it has grooved shaft on one end for the motor to turn as well as a fin on one side that will keep the door from closing if you turn it upside down like I tried to do.

You will also need the harness to the motor from a 95-96 car or your heat/cool will be backwards due to the motor being flipped upside down. The part number for the harness is 12163192. I dont have the part numbers for the other parts handy or I would post them as well.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:31 AM
PTz-92-LT1
Racer

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (91tpi-zf)

Please do sent the pictures. By looking at the description I'm not ready to perform this procedure yet.

I am not certain that a new harness is necessary. I talked to Gordon Kilebrew about this issue. Gordon said that when updating to the new box all that is necessary is to reverse the wires.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:32 AM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Default Re: temp control door motor on my 90 (PTz-92-LT1)

OK,

While at Carlisle, I got the box off a 94 and believe it had the new drop down style motor. With my luck, I probably got the wrong box. Does anyone know for sure if it's 94-96 or 95-96.

I also talked to Gordon with box in hand. As stated above, two wires need to be moved but Gordon said he would have to look at the schematics to make sure which ones to reverse, for the reasons stated above. A new harness sounds better. Thanks for the number. Then again, if all it took was a smalle hole, would probably go that route.

Old 10-22-2002, 10:20 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Former Moderator

Gordon told me '94 and up at the Cruise-In last May.....

Get notified of new replies

To temp control door motor on my 90

Quick Reply: temp control door motor on my 90